Posted: Sep 1st 2010 10:18AM Triskelion said

I'm pretty jaded these days, I blame the media, developers and other gamers. But this game has piqued my interest. It looks like a mix of Tab Rasa + Anarchy Online and Fallout 3. Hopefully it won't be stillborn like every other turd that has come out over the last few years (Stargate, etc.). I really want/need a sci-fi MMO.

Posted: Sep 1st 2010 11:36AM Coolit said

Glad to see this game is back on the radar. This game is number one on my wish list. Lets just hope it is what they say it will be.

Posted: Sep 1st 2010 11:36AM dudemanjac said

I like the idea of some intricate crafting. I want it to make some items with stats that won't always be the some.

Posted: Sep 1st 2010 11:50AM niakori said

Four variants of the same part for an item? This has me excited, think of those possibilities...
Give me more robust crafting like this, and I will give you my monies.

Posted: Sep 1st 2010 11:57AM krisbo9000 said

It's not just me is it?

This game looks freaking awesome.

Posted: Sep 1st 2010 1:04PM Darkstryke said

It's not just you. I did some writing on them like years ago before many even had a clue Earthrise was in production. They (Masthead) want heavy reliance on a viable craft pushed economy with choices, not just as another +1 stat to min/max a character with like WoW, EQ etc. Sort of think EvE but with variation in stats based on materials / skill / schematic, etc.

Posted: Sep 1st 2010 1:53PM (Unverified) said

oh man,i may need to change my pants after looking at that screenshot.

Posted: Sep 1st 2010 2:23PM SocksForYou said

Very encouraging. I just hope the crafting system has real ongoing value, as in all items degrade over time or you can only specialize in a few areas.

That was a big issue I had with Fallen Earth

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 8:18PM Wraibot said

Well then, you'll be happy to know:

"every item in Earthrise will be crafted by its players. This includes not only the usual fare of weapons, armor and devices but everything from mixing their own drugs and medicine to cooperative construction of buildings and vehicles, including mechanized exoskeletons."

"Often complex items will require several tiers of components construction before the player can create the final product, and each of those components will require different skills to craft. We want to make most complex and powerful items in the game a serious crafting investment, often requiring two or more crafters or varying skills and expertise to work together in order to tailor each element of the final item."

"While few crafters can cover the whole development chain of an item, it is possible, but many crafters will find that it is better to specialize rather than try to be a 'master of all trades'."

I also couldn't find a quote, but I do remember reading something about most if not all items degrading over time and use. For more info on Earthrise, you can look through the Question of the Week (QotW) posts here:

Posted: Sep 1st 2010 2:42PM Trippin Ninja said

I'm still eagerly waiting for more details on this title. Hopefully we get a closer look before the year is out.

Posted: Sep 1st 2010 3:35PM Darkstryke said

Items have a decay mechanic built into them influenced by the initial quality of the produced item. Items can be repaired to a point, but eventually become junk and need to be replaced. This is the only type of area in which a crafting system can be viable, games with a means to regularly take produced goods out of the system.

Why I Play: ArcheAge