Posted: Aug 30th 2010 11:26AM Suplyndmnd said

Well, sadly this article is 100% true. As much as i hate it, there is ALL of this in MMO's but I think it's inevitable just as much as it is in real life. You have groups of people who take the game (or life) serious and some who don't. You have social groups that run into each other in the game and just like life, cliques form. I have my own cliques in my games, present and past. Right now i have about 4 people in Warhammer that I will drop anything i'm doing to group with. Simply because we have bonded for one reason or another. This group we all started about the same time in the same guild and when one moved to a better guild we drug the others alone so from guild to guild we always were a pack who instantly knew each other. However we do go outside of our clique and thankfully we are able to avoid too much drama because our Guild and Alliance is pretty epic with the leadership we have.

Final Fantasy XI is simply RIFE with "She only has better gear because she's an LS Leaders girlfriend/wife/pet/whatever" and "You're not someone I know, go away". Unfortunately the love triangles were more pentangles sometimes with people cheating with others and relationships forming and breaking up. Eventually i got tired of it all and left.

I think i just typed more than the article is long (sorry) but like I said (or maybe better, tried to say) is that games mirror our lives. We're going to have issues, anger, strife and controversy because our characters are not sprites on a screen. Nay, they are extensions of ourselves. Insult my sprites, you've insulted me. Something that people typically do with reckless abandon in the anonymous worlds that are MMO's. The people who live off insulting others and causing dramas in Spritevilleā„¢ a.k.a. MMO worlds are the ones that want to do it in real life but are afraid of real life consequences like someone smacking them.

Me? I typically only fall into the "make a big deal out of something stupid" area because, well, my sprites are a reflection to how big of a phallic symbol i can be in real life sometimes and generally only happens when my RL world has caused me grief that unfortunately spills into Spritevilleā„¢.

This is my way of saying, if you get insulted by Shazamalicious on WAR, oops?

Posted: Aug 30th 2010 11:19AM (Unverified) said

A lot of these are pretty much the same as most MMOs, and even online forums in general. The comment about IJ'ing players into the drama is cute, though.

You haven't even touched on the PvP drama that's more common than all the above types combined. Faction transfers have led to a number of heavily lopsided servers, resulting in back-and-forth vitriol over whether the players are fleeing to an "easy" server or escaping from a gank server. Players fume daily that Rifters are ruining the game, or that nerfs to Rifters are destroying one of Aion's few enjoyable activities and making [spy] quests impossible.

I'd have liked an article that focused more specifically on subjects that are specific to Aion (Rifting drama, faction transfer drama), or what unusual effect Aion's design, mechanics and players have on typical MMO mechanics (how the drop rates influence partying or group interactions in instances).

Posted: Aug 30th 2010 11:09PM MJ Guthrie said

Oh the PvP and siege drama! And let's not leave out vent. =D I do plan to touch on these, as the stories are so entertaining; however, those topics are so lengthy on their own, I just didn't have room in this weeks column! Keep an eye out for future episodes of Daevas of Our Lives -- including the favorite cast member, siege leader! -- and be sure to share any of your own.

Posted: Aug 30th 2010 1:17PM (Unverified) said

Forget the personal drama, Aion is having an in game Wonder Girls concert (with outfits and possible new dance emotes?) on Sept 3rd:

(scroll down to 'Wonder Girls and Aion')

Yes, another actual in game EVENT! Now, where are those swimsuits?

@SirNiko - yeah, gotta love the gankers crying about the new 2.0 features to protect people just trying to level. "It will ruin the game, everyone will quit!!! OMG!!!" Never mind that ganking is what drove a good majority of the players to quit the game in the first place. Others quit from the lack of any real PvP in the Abyss. I used to enjoy some PvP in Aion, but I'm actually to the point I'd gladly move to a PvE server. Aion PvP is mostly just zergs and ganking these days. Being Asmodian on Zikel is not a lot of fun.

Posted: Aug 30th 2010 5:09PM Dblade said

I think it could be argued that rifting ganks set the tone for the server imbalances. I know even before it was a pain trying to level and getting ganked by some twink or a party of rifters as a newbie just trying to learn the game. I think it's no wonder the Asmos specifically fled to a single server.

I hope the article writer's experience can get better. I've been noticing a negative slant to a lot of the "Wings over Atreia" articles recently, and I hope it isn't a sign of burnout.

Posted: Aug 30th 2010 3:20PM Hockster said

People still play Aion?

Posted: Aug 30th 2010 5:55PM (Unverified) said

Great article! I love reading gaming gossip! It makes me feel like all the crap that happens in my guild isn't so bad -.- .

Oh, and there definitely needs to be an article on all the Siege drama in Aion. More people should share their stories!

Posted: Aug 30th 2010 8:22PM Graill440 said

You forgot one type, the 'Silent Concious'.

Drama is created >after< the Silent Concious has accomplished their goal of "education". This person doesnt say a word, nor do they engage in tit for tat via typing or verbal abuse via voice comms, instead they silenty gather intel until the time to strike is at hand, and it always, always comes.

Many high profile griefers have paid the ultimate price, the loss of a character, due to this Silent Concious type person.

Never, ever, think you are safe behind that keyboard.

(evil grin)

Posted: Aug 30th 2010 9:20PM (Unverified) said

That was scary >.> lol

Posted: Aug 31st 2010 12:09AM Graill440 said

It is scary, Pandana knows this first hand....

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014