Posted: Aug 26th 2010 8:10AM DarkMellie said

CCP!

Their commitment to EVE in every way is phenomenal. To hell with fleet-lag, the purity of the EVE concept and scarily life-like nature of their creation excites me at the mere thought of it. Even when I haven't got an active sub, I read up on all the latest news. They really have created another realm... because of EVE at times I seriously wonder if we're all in some kind of hideously futuristic MMO and that death is merely your player un-subbing.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 8:12AM Lobotomist said

For MMOs , it must be Ralph Koster. He was the one that came closest to a perfect MMO.

Games in general : Original Black Isle Studios

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 8:18AM SkuzBukit said

Planescape: Torment

Nuff said.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 8:24AM Xanija said

The guy's name is Raph Koster (short for Raphael), by the way. Should be fixed in the article and in the tags as well ;)

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 8:18AM SkuzBukit said

Scott Jennings (Lum the Mad) would be the guy whose views on games have been the ones I've most followed & tended to agree with, following close behind would be Steve Danuser (Moorgard) for his long-running view on EQ that I followed for years.

Though if it came to genetics then Shigeru Miyamoto has to rank as #1 the man is simply a game-design genius, he's had one or two duff ideas but overall he really has the essence of fun nailed to a wall with his name on it.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 8:21AM FOI said

Todd Howard.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 8:47AM (Unverified) said

Mine has to be Paul Barnett. Just his enthusiasm for warhammer was enough to keep me going at least for awhile. I dont really know what he's been up to lately or if he even still works on warhammer at all. Actually if someone knows please tell me haha. But ya he's pretty informative and excited about things he works on. He also gives an impressive keynote speech!

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 10:32AM Dumac said

He is pretty much the reason i bought WAR. I looked at a few screenshots and videos, meh, the game looked solid enough, but his enthusiasm and charm got to me. And i watched his video blogs for a long time... I think he does still work on WAR.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 10:34AM Darkmoone said

Paul Barnett is a car salesman, I'll never trust anything he's attached to. After he hyped Warhammer and collected his fat check you never heard from him again.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 9:01AM Shirogetsune said

Positron (Matt Miller) / War Witch (Melissa Bianco)

Best things that ever happened to City of Heroes after Cryptic jumped ship. Glad to see City is doing so great after Going Rogue's launch, looking forward to many more years with the game.

Posted: Aug 27th 2010 11:30AM Snorii said

I agree with Positron (Matt Miller) / War Witch (Melissa Bianco). They're both great!

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 9:02AM gildhur said

Scenario, formerly of LotRO, now on Turbine's yet unnamed project.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 9:05AM (Unverified) said

I think Emily Taylor (aka Domino) is pretty popular among the EQ2 players, especially the crafters. (She's the tradeskill dev) She gets lots of cheers at Fan Faire. The work she's done for the crafting system has made her quite popular. Tradeskill content and house items we've gotten since she's around have increased in both quantity and quality.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 10:57AM (Unverified) said

Domino is the developer I most admire too -- plus she's hawt! ;-)

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 9:14AM Tom in VA said

I would say the MMO developer I admire most is Jeff Strain (formerly of ArenaNet/Guild Wars), since his philosophical underpinnings for Guild Wars really resonated with me. Strain seemed, oddly enough, to actually be able to look at a game AS A PLAYER (a rare quality among MMO developers these days) and so recognize what elements are fun and what was grindy and tedious. Strain also seemed able to recognize, appreciate, and accommodate a wide variety of playing styles.

So much of the original Guild Wars is influenced by his focus on making the game fun and accessible to a wide variety of players: PvP'ers, solo-oriented players, players that want story, players that want to group up, etc.

I wish I could get excited about his new zombie MMO, but, ironically, it seems very narrow and niche-focused and so makes me wonder if his MMO philosophy has recently changed.

Anyways, I also have great admiration for Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk (both MDs, I believe), who founded Bioware. Every time I read interviews with them, I am deeply impressed by their approach to game design.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 10:44AM DevilSei said

Heh, I have to agree with you. Strain is bloody awesome, yet I don't see his current MMO as a change of philosophy, rather its he believes he can make a console-based MMO, and not just that, but a Zombie-based MMO for consoles. Its obviously a risky attempt, as only a couple of MMOs ever were released to consoles... (Everquest on ps2, and FF11 on ps2, then 360). Its also cool that even after leaving Arenanet, you only ever hear good things between the two

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 9:30AM codybye said

I want to have babies with Scott Brown and Min Kim.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 9:43AM (Unverified) said

Selachii (El Drijver)?Matthew Florianz (Raznilof) and Sabre (only CM for like a month but awesome guy that was) from The Chronicles of Spellborn. What lies hidden, must be found ...

And also Gaile Gray from Guild Wars of course! Why hasn't anyone mentioned her yet! She was great.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 11:08AM ShawnSchuster said

Gaile really was/is great. She redefined community management back in the day.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 10:11AM Aquaryon said

As for a MMO Developer i would have to say Blizzard... I know.. I know.. but they just do an absolutely fantastic job on their games..... all of them!!

As as for gaming developer in general, I have a super hard crush for Valve... I shouldn't have to list why, they are that awesome!! Okay fine... Half-Life, Team Fortress, Portal, Left for Dead, Counter-Strike, Steam.. 'nuff said :P

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories