Posted: Aug 25th 2010 6:09PM Dandmcd said

Definitely disagree with Prius. How you not to mention the terrible destruction Gpotato did to the game Allods is quite a disservice to those looking for upcoming MMO's. We also don't know much about Prius except that some Koreans are crazy addicted to it, and that could mean crazy grind like Lineage or many other Korean MMO's out there. The track record of the publisher of Prius is very poor, so I have no idea why you predicted this game may do well.

Vindictus does look good, but can't wait to get my hands on it soon. If the action style gameplay keeps fights varied, then grind might not be an issue of the boss fights are varied, and action stays intense.

Clone Wars will be a fun timewaster on a break fro myour regular MMO's and games, but nothing more. However, its name alone should spell success for the hoards of fans of Clone Wars looknig for games to play.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 6:29PM Controlled Chaos said

All three look pretty good to me, though the one I'm looking forward to most in the near future would be Black Prophecy. Clone Wars, admittedly, looks slightly less interesting to me than the others, as I'm more interested in non-kiddie content, but it'll be well liked without my patronage.

Never ceases to amaze me, though, how well companies like Nexon do. Vindictus is going to be a really interesting one.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 6:31PM Graill440 said

Quote:
"The lines are blurring, anyway. Soon I will have to change the name of this column! haha"
endquote]

The lines were never blurred, the acronym F2P is a misbranding of the MTS model that came from the east, and no one questioned why this was because of the (laugh, HIGHER ups). The popular term or acronym is always used because it sounds better or is spun better, and seldom has any factual basis to back it up.

The only reason People on this site and others may feel that line is blurring is because of the pressure from folks like myself and others speaking out in meetings and submitting whitepapers to execs that are clueless, that they are wrong in branding and advertising practices that equate to even simpler, legal terms.

It was stated plainly in 2006 that branding Games F2P when they really werent would hurt the industry, for many reasons, not just the illusion of being free, and now the lines are blurring? Please.

Great article by the way.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 6:36PM (Unverified) said

@Graill,

What are you going on about?

If you can log on and play the game from level 1 to level cap its f2p, period.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 6:32PM (Unverified) said

With EQ2 and LOTRO both going f2p why would anybody be looking forward to more Korean trash?

Yeah so far EQ2X sucks because of the screwed up pricing but if they make some minor alterations and allow you to buy classes individually it will easily be the best option available with the exception of LORTO.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 7:15PM redsolar said

Vindictus isn't too bad of a game. I agree with some of the comments from both sides. It has its good and bad aspects.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 7:43PM (Unverified) said

I dont get the F2P branding on alot of these games..
I have checked out tons of them, and if you dont at least subscribe, or invest money in their cash shops, you get a very gimped version of the game to play.

My son was looking forward to playing the Clone Wars Adventures, and as we looked arouond the beta, found that you had to subscribe to the monthly service ( become a "jedi") for a good chunk of the game, AND you would have to spend money in the cash shop for some of the other items (double dipping if you ask me...)

All these cash shops are becoming increasingly sickening to me. Its one thing to present me with a complete game, and add a cash shop for trivial/non game changing items...cosmetics if you will. But to ask for money for things that actually increase the fun of your game...(not to mention the incredibly overpriced costs)..thats just reeks of foul.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 7:47PM (Unverified) said

To be Honest, aside from Clone Wars Adventures to satiate the Star Wars nerd in me (until TOR) I don't have an interest in any of the other titles mentioned, nor the F2P market as a whole. Everquest 2 Extended is a lesson in frustration, with even the most basic accesories (spelling?) off limits outside of the cash shop. Even Korean based MMOs offer more from the get go.

However, speaking of Korean MMOs, Prius looks pretty damn interesting, I must say. After going online and doing what homework I could (most comprehensive sites and blogs covering the game are either in Korean or Japanese) it really seems like the game stands far above the normal Asian f2p grind fest. Yes, to trully become great at the game one must dip into the cash shop, that's always a given with these titles unless you play alongside an incredibly generous Guild; but the mechanics of the Anima companion are complex and almost completely unrestricted. Yes, sadly, this game drove a couple to neglect thier real children and others, but that's a very unique and extreme case.

From what I was able to read outright and glean elsewhere, it's incredibly immersive, providing an emotional connection and story elements somewhat akin to what BioWare is doing with TOR, i.e. trying to make it more about story and experiences than one mob crawl after another. Others have voiced concern that gPotato butchered Allods but I can't agree with that outright. I will say they augmented the game to better appeal to Western markets and players and it back-fired somewhat, but the game as it stands is still a great experience for what it does. With Prius, I don't think much needs to be changed to appeal to Western players, especially those who are all about immersion through characters and story. It's got my attention, to say the least.

Still, the majority of the new F2P market remains a poor choice in my eyes. Triple-A Western based MMO should maintain the subscription mind-set, even if EQII-Ext and LOTRO does well with this new direction. I'd much rather pay fifteen dollars a month to get all the bells and whistles and new content without having to go shopping for it every twenty seconds.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 8:00PM Toggit said

The fairy pet you mention about Prius brings to mind the Aika's Pran. I absolutely loved the Pran concept! I made it to less than ten levels before max level when the grind finally, ahem, ground me out of the game. I'd love to see the Pran concept applied in another game!

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 9:14PM Carolina said

Vindictus beta was FUN! Not the regular MMO free to run around and kill world, but it was the perfect kind of "log in, have fun, log out" without wasting too many hours. It is the first action MMO I've ever played, and I'll try and keep up with it and possible others coming around.

I have tried other korean games and never got really hooked to them, though. They really seem to be changed the formula for Vindictus.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 12:56AM Jeromai said

Vindictus will be a game I will be keeping an eye on. The other two, meh, the lore and the look are not for me.

As an aside for Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, I am always quite amused that GW is not lumped in together with other F2P games. Its essence is F2P, it even has an in-game cash shop, yet somehow many fans seem blind to it existing as they sing its praises.

How is it that GW is considered in a niche of its own? Perhaps it is because GW very carefully sticks to selling a) content - chapters and mission packs, b) PvP conveniences - unlock skills for PvP and c) completely optional PvE niceties - extra storage, cosmetic costumes, and so on. Or perhaps it has to do with other factors unique to GW, who knows...

I would always examine every free game's cash shop and determine for yourself whether you feel you will lose out significantly to someone who does buy regularly from the cash shop, or whether you're willing to spend up to whatever your spending limit per month is for a good game ala a subscription model.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 9:39AM Ocho said

It could be that, in order to play GW at all, you need to purchase it first. Therefore, its ignoring the first rule of f2p, that you can download and literally play it for free from the beginning. After that, though, it matches the other f2p games to a T. But having to purchase the game first makes a big difference.

Instead of it being a free game that tries to nickle and dime you, its like every other off-line game in existance. You buy it at the store, bring it home and play it. Done. That is why people sing its praises. Its been a huge success with nothing more than a box price and cash shop extras.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 2:03AM Shazzie said

I was very interested in Vindictus, until I found out you don't get to make your own character, at all. You have to select from a stable of pre-mades. The melee DPS in your party will be Lann, the dual wielder. The sword-and-board tank in your party will be Fiona. Dress them up a bit differently, maybe, but it's still not 'my' character, mentally, so I have no interest at all any longer. Sad.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 5:08AM eNTi said

yay for more teenage angst styled mmogrinders and yet another title that no one cares about... way to go dude.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 5:27AM Vagrant Zero said

My time spent in Vindictus (which was fairly plentiful) was spent grinding. The game is a pure grinder. Also, some of the story quests are gated behind groups, so it's not especially solo friendly either. I'm not taking a stance on that either way, I'm just pointing out, that it's going to be fairly niche.

As a previous poster already mentioned, LotRO is going F2P. Why on God's green earth would you even piss away on something else. Hell, Global Agenda is another sub-less option.

I'm sorry if this comes off as extremely close-minded, but I have yet to play ANYTHING from Korea (be it single player or MMO) that wasn't mustache-twirling villainous trash.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 9:22AM Ocho said

I'm going to be a little negative here... the reason why most people don't pay that much attention to these games, whether they're f2p or not, is because its just more of the same thing. Runes of Magic, Allods, Everquest, WoW, etc. The games feature a fantasy setting with guys weilding swords and bows and facing endless legions of bad guy mutated rats and spiders and "orc" type things in forests, deserts, swamps, etc with rewards like a new bow, or some spare change, so you can buy a bag with more slots or water or food or blah blah blah blah blah. Exchange out the backstory, setting, races, and character models, and they're just all the same stuff.

What made WoW so popular is not really its innovative gameplay. It wasn't innovating (it WAS polished so much so that you didn't feel the rolling dice behind the scene and it wasn't tooo chore-like). What made WoW popular was the fact it was coming from a HUGELY successful line of RTS games and came out when the market was pretty much asking for something like a huge MMO to be created. Now its sustained by its sheer numbers.

But in order for another fantasy-style game to truly make waves and make people notice, it will take a LOT more than just a re-skinned fantasy setting with the same gameplay style. Thats why Black Prophecy got such a nod recently... its a f2p, but its so much different than just a hack and slash and magic setting.

Thats why I'm really lookign forward to GW2 and Rift. Its innovative. Its different. Its polished. It'll make waves. The GW series now has a decent backstory on which to draw from. People have played in the world and are familiar with it. It'll be huge. Rift, not so much, but its innovation and different gameplay will draw people in.

I love Fallen Earth, but I believe if Fallout finally comes out with their MMO, it will blow FE out of the water simply with its backstory and line of games behind it. Its tricky, but should not be ignored... you need a strong foundation to build upon, and most of these reskinned fantasy games just have nothing backing them up. Second verse, same as the first.

Posted: Aug 27th 2010 5:43AM (Unverified) said

Clone Wars Adventures is the worst MMO I've ever played. I know it's for kids, but I was hoping for a bit of a Star Wars fix to tide me over until SWTOR, but it's a bunch of minigames and a lobby.

I was really dissapointed that Prius Online wasn't some sort of weird edutainment game about climate change and electric transportation too.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 9:33AM Tom in VA said

@Jeromai--

As far as I know, Guild Wars is still Pay-to-Play, as in you have to PAY (i.e., buy it) to play it. That's why it's not considered F2P. The fact, that it's subscription-free does not mean the game is actually free to play.

Frankly, I think "F2P" is a misleading misnomer. I can't think of any F2P that's not restricted, level capped, limited, or to some degree not fully playable until you BUY something with real money. I think we need to come up with some better terminology. LotRO is going "F2P" ... but not really, imo, since the game that's left if you pay nothing would barely hold my interest for a few weeks, if that. Turbine is doing that by design, of course, but really, I have come to think of "F2P" as meaning that the game offers an MT alternative to a subscription. But, "free", no, not really -- unless you don't mind playing a greatly restricted/demo version of the game. It's like saying Mass Effect 2 is now "F2P", too, because it has a downloadable demo version. Like most games, if you want to play it "for real", you'd better get your wallet out.

Back on topic:
"Concerning these three games, my gut is very, very excited. So, let's get right to the list."

Regarding the games on your list, all I can say is I am not at all interested in any of them, Beau. There are too many better games out there for me to even consider these three. You must have an easily excitable gut! :-)

But, still, thank you for the article. I always appreciate hearing about what else is out there. It was an interesting read.

Posted: Sep 21st 2010 8:38PM (Unverified) said

allods tanked
it was a decent game but it was poorly managed by astrum nival