Posted: Aug 24th 2010 3:16PM Greyjoy said

Why oh why did they not make a DAoC 2 and improve the graphics engine and the PvE aspect of the game

They were sitting on a GOLD MINE! And they made Warhammer.....what a shame

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 3:30PM (Unverified) said

Actually they did improve the graphics engine (WAR used the improved Daoc Engine) but it seems in there haste to improve it they really messed up in the stability department. Atleast during the first months of launch stability was a huge issue with the improvements.

I agree they should have just made a Daoc 2 / or did a massive graphics revamp / upgrade to DaoC and a relaunch for it. But I imagine the lure of the Warhammer ip was too strong for them. Sadly the Warhammer IP was just not up for the task of a truely fitting RvR style game like the Camelot IP was/is.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 9:18PM JediPagan said

I'm with you. DAoC is still my favorite MMO of all time.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 9:31AM (Unverified) said

I don't see why they still can make a DAoC 2.

Look at Everquest. We already have EQ1 and EQ2, and I believe I heard talk of an EQ3.

If you build it, they will come.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 3:45PM Shadanwolf said

• 1 heart
This is the guy who almost single handedly drove DAOC and WAR into the ground.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 4:06PM (Unverified) said

Has anyone done a 3-faction RvR MMOG since DAoC? Aion and WAR suffer from the same critical design flaw: 2-faction RvR inevitably leads to server imbalances.

ps. Sorry for the acronyms.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 4:22PM Nef said

Planetside, Asheron's Call 2, and Auto Assault come to mind. I'm sure there's some more, might have to look towards the F2P's though.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 6:44PM Randomessa said

Guild Wars 2 is planned to have World vs World vs World objective-based PvP, but that won't be out until next year.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 4:34PM (Unverified) said

Too those who are saying DAOC2 this and that, for what? In this day in age, with all the carebear crap and the silver platter dish of you do this and that, DAOC2 would be a 3 faction WAR, and WAR is just bad in general. They took many steps back in WAR from DAOC, from the craptastic keeps (can't break random holes in the wall) to the gear rewards to the siege pads (wtf?) ... basically creating the ultimate take this keep, move to the next let the realm flip it and move on util you can take it again zerg fest.

Scenarios are crap compared to how awesome the battlegrounds were in DAOC as well, and the fact that you can do them at max level is also a fail. Face it, DAOC2 wouldn't have been even a fragment of how amazing DAOC was pre-TOA/NF.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 5:16PM (Unverified) said

It's nice to dream though, isn't it?

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 5:54PM CCon99 said

"Jacobs: RvR. It was the best RvR-centric game ever made in 2001 and, excluding WAR (for obvious reasons), the best RvR-game to date."

Sorry Mark, but INCLUDING WAR, DAoC is still the best RvR-centric game.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 8:01PM ed511df3 said

The obvious reason was that he couldn't call WAR's RvR a load of crap.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 6:06PM Taawa said

Well I enjoy WAR, with its warts and frustrations and all. But DAOC is still around.

Dear readers,

Would it be impossible to get into successfully at this point? Is it viable?

Also regarding 3 faction RvR, it's planned for Jumpgate Evolution. I hope that game makes it to release and is well-made and successful. And there may be other RvR games in development we don't know about. I'm sure there are people in the industry who've seen Mythic stumble and want to sieze an opportunity at a niche market.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 6:53PM Dril said

I can see why he's your hero; your comment described itself (is that a paradox?).

Bravo, sir, bravo.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 9:12PM drunkenpandaren said

Waaaghammer is a pretty fun game imo. It's essentially DAoC lite.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 9:16PM JediPagan said

You scored on that interview with Jacobs. I still think he was the fall guy for EA's greed and a premature launch. I hope he gets back in the MMO business.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 9:22PM Darkmoone said

Have you read his blog? it's all self-congratulating nonsense. You had a good idea once Mark, move on already. What you need to do is wrestle the Daoc IP back from EA. Then do your programming from the shower.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 12:42AM (Unverified) said

Just so happens that I let my final DAoC subscription run out this week.. kinda makes my heartache.. soooo many good times, and so sad to see where it ended up..

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 7:07AM (Unverified) said

"excluding WAR (for obvious reasons), the best RvR-game to date."

I stopped reading at this point. Sorry, but if even now he can't admit that WAR was utter failure, then this man is a blind fool and does not deserve another shot in the MMO world.

Failing is fine, so long as you learn from it. Clearly this guy hasnt.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 9:34AM Krogg said

I loved DAOC til Trials of Atlantis.... ToA burned me out quick. Then WoW happened shortly after that and I left for good. By the time WAR came out i was sooooo excited. I loved leveling in WAR, so many great options.... but the end game RvR was terrible.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM