Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 4:43PM (Unverified) said

I'm a Sailor. Swearing is something I just do, and I couldn't give a shite if anyone's offended.

Then again, I don't go around swearing at people, it's just how I talk!

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 6:20PM (Unverified) said

Holy crap I know a Lich King, and your description is spot on. We always comment in disbelief how he can play a game for so many years and still not know the most basic of mechanics.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 2:10AM Jeromai said

I would have to be none of the above. I'm probably The Bot. Or The Henchman.

The guy who doesn't say a word when he joins your team beyond the minimum response of "hi" if you greet him first, never says anything through the eye-searing drama on group chat, responds minimally to long elaborate strategies of where to go and what to do, but somehow is miraculously tailing you like an automated shadow, starts and stops when you do, and fights when the group fights. Rolls greed and shrugs with little reaction even if someone else ninja loots need, and quits lousy groups with no comment besides 'thx' and poof.

The Bot is a functional member of the group, just don't count on him for any conversation or entertainment because he's allergic to drama or much social interaction at all. :)

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 11:56AM J Brad Hicks said

Two of my long-time tabletop gamer friends say that this is exactly why they don't MMO: "other people."

I can derail a lot of this, a lot of the time, by deploying one of the oldest memes on the Internet. When any of the above threaten to drag a chat channel or area down into the morass for good, I just pop in with: "Come on, people, the First Rule of the Internet is: Don't Feed the Trolls." You'd be amazed how often this solves the problem. The reason it works is that none of the above-listed people can make any serious trouble without seemingly-normal people playing into their scene. If you don't reply to them, if what you do instead is shoot /tell or /whisper to the people arguing with them with a reminder of the /ignore command, there's really nothing they can do to ruin your day.

Trolls, whether masquerading as drama queens, overlords, e-nymphos, beggers, or whiners, are only getting what they want as long as what they're getting is attention. People don't see this because they think that what the trolls want is positive attention; they think as long as they're flaming the trolls that sooner or later the trolls will "realize that they're not wanted" and go away. Fat chance; the longer you argue with, complain about, curse out, threaten, or in any way acknowledge the existence of an Internet troll, the more you're feeding them. And remember, "the one you feed is the one you keep."

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 5:43PM Georgio said

• 1 heart
This article has nothing to do with Aion. Why is that game even mentioned ? Is nobody playing that game anymore so there is no news ? Almost all of the things from the article are WOW folklore.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 12:15AM Maraq said

Have to agree with Georgio's comment. This article is nothing specifically to do with Aion, its a generic article. As an article with various Aion related tags, its a chat channels equivalent of "off-topic", and that doesn't reflect well on the game in question.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 6:43AM MJ Guthrie said

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you, because the column is specifically categorized as opinion on gaming in Aion, and the game has everything to do with those who play it. As each of these personalities is directly from Aion (trust me, I have played with those whom represent the model), the article is indeed about Aion. Discussing the community within the game is quite relevant for an opinion piece, and just one topic in the many that are possible to cover. This column is not a news post; our contributing editors do a fantastic job of dishing out the new related tidbits.

I am glad to have your comments! Thanks for reading, and hope you are enjoying your time in Atreia.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 3:49PM Georgio said

• 1 heart
MJ Guthrie sorry to inform you that Aion has very big unsolved problems now, acknowledged with reticence even by the producer at Gamescom. Massively should discuss that and being an impartial website (that is what I want to believe) should inform the readers about this game breaking problems who are sinking Aion. Please do not hide under the rug the problems and treat us with generic MMO related articles "adapted" to Aion.

Posted: Aug 26th 2010 12:11AM (Unverified) said

I unfortunately introduced a Lich King type player to WOW, his inability to grasp the game concepts ultimately caused me to cancel my account. To add salt to the wounds, I work with this fool, so he still asks me for game advice.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge