Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:38AM Audacious said

It's not just the half naked ass and cleavage on the females in TERA, it's the jiggle physics and the overtly sexual casting animations, too. When I saw those for the first time I didn't want to play the game any more out of embarrassment.

If some sexy gear was available as an option for horny players (or even actual women who might enjoy that kind of look) and not the standard for the game, I don't think it would be all that big a deal. But if all or the overwhelming majority of the gear available to your mage looks like clothing she'd put on if she were working the pole that evening and she goes through a lapdancing animation every time she's trying to fling a spell, I think the game you're playing is taking the sex sells mantra a tad too far.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:42AM Daelda said

While I do agree that MMOs can be over sexualized, the Tera video you linked didn't seem, to me, all that bad. No worse than television to be sure. Heck - it is MUCH less "sexy/revealing" than what you see everyday at the beach.

So you got an "up-skirt" shot of her black panties - nothing special there. She gyrated her hips a little - not all that sexy to me, but maybe I'm just a bit desensitized to it. In addition, I have watched manga, and "fan service", as they call panty-shots, is common. Cartoon panties don't do it for me.

I *do* agree that males should be treated equally to females. If you are going to sexualize one gender, you should be equally willing to do the same for the other gender. Sure, the majority of MMO players are currently males, but the female demographic is rapidly growing and they tend to have money to spend. I'm not interested in it, but I have a wife and as a business, MMO companies would be stupid to ignore the female market.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:43AM Saker said

I agree completely that Terra goes completely over-the-top, but so does this genre in general - not quite as bad, but still. It should be a little more tasteful (and realistic) in general. I expect improvements in graphics, increased character creation options will hopefully allow people to create their characters with whatever degrees of exposure they please (within some limits due to censorship and "maturity" ratings).

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:51AM jpkustra said

• 1 heart
Under

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:52AM Jade Effect said

Are MMOs over-sexualized.. compared to what, exactly? Movies, TV shows, music, print media, beer and car ads, which? Is Lady Gaga prancing about in her underwear somehow less sexualized than Age of Conan? I sure don't see mass protests about how Lady Gaga should cover up. Or maybe we are comparing MMO sexy succubus against the strait-laced newspresenters at China's Central News Agency?

In any case, I prefer the Korean's MMO style of trying their hand at fantasy fashion shows over the "realistic" but bland/ugly Lord of the Ring Online or Warhammer Online armor designs. It just reminds of those Crocs shoes: comfortable and practical, but ugly as hell.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:55AM Greyhame said

To some extent, yes and no. While I'm not morally offended by the objectification of either, there are some games that do take it too far. TERA is one of these. It's comes off as extremely tacky to the point where the game just doesn't seem interesting anymore.

There is a level of objectification in all video games, and stuff like skimpy clothing should be an option. Just not the main line of armour.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:57AM timthel0rd said

I don't care either way.

Just putting it out there, if people wanna fap to their characters.. ok I guess...

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:03AM Carolina said

Tera did a bit too much imo also. I am still very sad that the Popori race females are not round cudly and furry things. Hoping they change that, though it seems they made up an excuse in the lore to have giggly girls their females /sigh.

Some games did very good though. In LotRO and on WoW's WotLK things fells very balanced to me. Specially in WoW, since you CAN make an "ulgy" character, be it male or female. Try to make an "ugly" orc in Lineage 2! Impossible!

Now let me leave my 2 cents on the "objectification of women" subject here: The sad thing about this subject is that some women blame the men for this culture going on. But THINK for a minute: they couldn't do anything if it wasn't for women willing to be shown, filmed or photographed that way.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:55AM Toggit said

I dunno, I'm going to entirely disagree with you, but people IN GENERAL with do things for money, even things they may not entirely agree with. I'm sure if society at large wanted men (like Justin Beiber? Bieber? That kid whose songs everyone is slowing down?) to be homoerotic, he would. If that was the cool thing he would do it.

Demand creates these films, photographs, games. It's not fair to just dump it all on women, to say that it's all our fault because we "allow" it to happen. Both men and women ought to work to create a culture that doesn't so heavily encourage women to allow themselves to be viewed as pieces of A. instead of people.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 7:41AM (Unverified) said

Actually, the "female" Popori, isn't the female of the species. They're forest sprits that take this form, and awakens animals, aka the "male" popori.
Them furry balls of fluff can bot be male and female.
This is what I've gotten from an interview, it may be true, it might be not.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:17AM (Unverified) said

TERA is far too OTT with the looks, in my honest opinion. That Castanic(Spelling?) race just look ridiculous.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:36AM Faryon said

Depends on the game.. Certain games take it way too far (TERA).

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:38AM Heraclea said

These are fantasy games. What I don't really get is why some people feel a need to make others feel embarrassed or self-conscious about the content of their fantasies.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:41AM (Unverified) said

The ridiculous female armor is especially visible in eastern MMOs, IMHO.
This is one reason why I dont like them.
It just looks stupid and unbelieveable. I think it is sexist too.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:44AM (Unverified) said

Tera looks awesome, lol.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:45AM Toggit said

As one female's perspective:

First of all, if I were an adventurer in a fantasy land and some dude at a computer was looking up my skirt while I was running around, I would be seriously creeped out.

While obviously this girl is a collection of pixels and not flesh and blood, does it not promote the idea that it's okay to spy on (in a sexual manner) unaware girls in "real life"? If you're okay with this, it seems like you're much more likely to be comfortable with watching uploads of hidden cams spying up girls' skirts and the like.

Secondly, do they not give a damn (am I allowed to say that?) about their female player base? I don't have any kind of statistic proof on hand, but it seems to me MMOs' player base includes a large collection of female gamers, probably larger than many other genres of "hardcore" games. For me personally, I'm disgusted by the up-skirt running shot, and therefore I've been effectively ousted from playing that race. And kind of turned off the game in general--If that's the way men who are playing the game are encouraged to treat females, what kind of hassle am I going to go through once players find out I'm a chick?

And this is someone who, generally, doesn't have a problem with midriff-baring armor and such, if I find it to be more fashionable than street-walker.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:14PM (Unverified) said

TERA is among the worst offenders I've seen. Even with their furry race, the males are pudgy panda bears and the females are little japanese schoolgirls with short skirts and cat ears.

But yeah, if you believe the industry's figures, women now account for almost half of online gamers -- and women tend to play more hours than men per session. Developers seem to be willfully ignoring this even as it should be getting completely impossible to ignore.

I'm not even going to suggest TERA to my gf, and we play nearly every MMO and co-op game that drops. She has a thick skin, for a politically savvy woman, and will hold her nose and play dudes or skimpy, mincing girls, but TERA is just too much, even for a games industry that is totally clueless about its women customers.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:51AM Purkit said

The design team has taken the phrase "If I'm going to be looking at the ass of my character for months it better be a good looking one" to the extreme.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:43AM (Unverified) said

Omg this totally reminds me the "Chainmail Bikini" or law 910 of female gaming anatomy if you'd like a laugh

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:13AM Nolinquisitor said

MMO's are a medium of fantasy.

Stepping in and trying to tell someone what should or not enter their personal fantasy is wrong. Yes, sexual fantasies exists and yes it sells. It's a reality. Don't be offended by it. Turn away.

In this age of communication and internet, we should just turn away when something doesn't fits our values, our tastes, or personal fantasy, like when you find a weird video of the web.

Time to grow up or to become more tolerant.

Personnally, I don't like asian rpg and MMO's, can't stand them, but I cannot say there are not pretty design and characters. I believe it is called "fan-service" for a reason.

I can only blame TERA for making its boobs physics too light, because honestly, boobs wiggle in real life.

I won't buy TERA and I won't be bothered by it.

Why I Play: ArcheAge