Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 8:42PM Macabre 13 said

I'm appalled, but not surprised, that many people think this is some "refreshing" new interview...

Sure, he admits to some mistakes, just like Bill Roper's "I've learned a lot from my days at Flagship" (obviously not, and I think even Cryptic finally realized this), but if anyone thinks this is anything more than publicity for his new product, you are sorely mistaken.

The hype ramp begins anew; NWN finally announced, now come the articles, interviews, sneak peaks, developer diaries, etc, all in the name of Cryptic's TRUE philosophy: Push hard for those Goddamn initial box sales before anyone remembers that we're the freakin' McDonalds of the game industry.

This will undoubtedly be another of Cryptic's patented steaming piles of mediocrity, hanging around the metacritic 60's and 70's. But guess what, it's good business, because they make it in initial box sales, as well as "lifetime" subsciptions (a joke in itself). If it weren't good business, they wouldn't continue to produce products, they would instead be like RTW is now, in administation...

I, for one, don't support this shoddy business, and until they *actually* deliver a 90+ product, I won't even give their free betas a chance any more... it's just too bad there's a sucker born every minute, because Cryptic's got you on freakin' FARM STATUS!

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:32PM Jade Effect said

It seems you are trying to put down Cryptic, but I'm not sure the McDonalds comparison is what you're trying to go for. Afterall, McDonalds is one of the most successful, if not the most successful, fast food restaurant franchise in the world.

It's like saying "Cryptic is the Blizzard of the MMO industry".

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 3:05AM Macabre 13 said

Perhaps my analogy could be viewed in several ways, but let me ask you this:

What's the first restaurant that comes to mind when I ask you who makes a quality cheeseburger?

I would bet my bottom dollar that not only would McDonalds never be an honest answer to this question, but it wouldn't even be in the top 5, top 10, top 20, and probably not even top 50.

McDonalds makes low quality food, but it's freakin' dirt cheap and generally fast, so they're successful. Like Cryptic, low quality and fast...

...

You know... now that I think about it, you're absolutely freakin' right, my analogy is terrible. McDonalds makes *cheap* low quality food, whereas Cryptic makes *expensive* low quality games. They're nothing alike!

I stand corrected.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 8:46AM (Unverified) said

Jade, don't be pedantic; it's clear to anyone what was meant.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 8:46PM spartanthetriviumorg said

"we made City of Heroes in about a year and a half, City of Villains in nine months. We made Champions in two years and STO in a year and a half, so we're an incredibly efficient studio, you obviously know -- there's no one in the industry that's as prolific as we are, it's not even close."

Woozers!!! I would not be braggin' about that shit to be frank; especially STO and to a lessor degree CO. It is exactly because of that the company is looked at so negatively by gamers. Prolific piles of hot steamy shit wrapped in silk coverings is still shit once one digs their hands into things. He should have talked about how they are implementing the new development "philosophy" into their existing titles.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:00PM Eamil said

Given that he then immediately turns around and says :

"But super-fast doesn't mean super-good. And that's what the reviews said, that's what the players said."

I'm not sure he's bragging.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:16PM spartanthetriviumorg said

Using terms like "incredibly efficient" & "prolific" coupled with a comparison to the rest of the industry sounds like a horn blow to my ears. Moreover the expression "super-fast doesn't mean super-good" leads one to think the titles are "good" methinks.

Sayin' something like: ...pushing our past coupe titles out the door basically in an unfinished state - hoping to fully develop them after release, so we could make a name for ourselves as an incredibly efficient and prolific developer was a seriously flawed development plan and we have learned our lesson and are striving to do better by our customers and the fans of the IP -etc.... would make me think he was not doing so but he did not, hence my previous position.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:36PM JediPagan said

• 1 heart
Well, I'm intrigued. Even though I feel Cryptic failed on their first two attempts, they have a great engine. And seeing that Neverwinter is not due out until Fall 2011, leads me to believe Cryptic is shooting for a quality title. I hope this turns out to be a great game.

Cryptic, I WANT A CLOTH MAP!

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:54PM (Unverified) said

You really believe Cryptic is going to deliever you a quality title with there version of NWN?

Come on people.. Does it really take them walking into your house and stealing your money before you open your eyes?

Just look at CO and look at STO. Its the same dam game engine, both of them games have the same freakin exact game play mechanics. They both suffer from the same issues and bugs.

You could take CO or STO and put a NWN setting / skin to it and that is exactly what you are going to get with there version of NWN.

Yeah so they are going to toss you some limited tools to make your own quests with. Then turn around and charge you to upload it to there servers so you and your friends can play the quest you made.

Someone needs to remember this post / reply here becuase when this game rolls out onto the market I want someone to remember that that I told told you there plan from the start.

Your going to be paying like crazy to do anything worth a darn / custom content wise in this game.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 9:47PM Dandmcd said

Looks like Jack captured a few people, hook, line and sinker, lol. Seriously, he gives the same interview every game that has come out, "Ohh, our last couple games sucked, we learned a lot about our company and the kind of games we want to make". This is all done to make you believe they actually care about their games, and realize they made some errors along the way. Anyone with a half a brain knows this will be a reskinned STO with a cash shop, and rushed out before SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 come out.

Anyone who truly believes he is being sincere hasn't watched the track of record of this douche. As usual, Massively plays softball with their favorite company Cryptic, and lets Jack conduct his own interview.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:11PM (Unverified) said

this is so right on...

so right on

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:28PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
sure, gray my post out because I dare ask a question that needs answering.

Posting an abundance of self-indulgent interviews and nebulous release info and pats on the back from Cryptic will do nothing to improve their reputation and/or games.

Start playing hardball, and less t-ball with Cryptic, and you may have a successful interview with them, one day.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:18PM (Unverified) said

No Paladin, Warlock or Warlord. No word on races. No paragon paths.

I'm not even going to think about getting this game unless all the first PHB classes and races are in. And even then, I'm going to have to think twice because... well, Cryptic.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 12:20AM (Unverified) said

I'd like to point out that good ol' Mr Emmert does say the same thing about every new game he works on, he's a politician with a broken record.

When STO was starting beta he said "we learned a lot from Champions Online's beta and we're doing things very differently with STO" (paraphrased but that's essentially what he said).

That was a bold faced lie. They did the EXACT SAME beta schedule / process right up until STO's sad launch into a live state.

City of Heroes' success stems from the hardwork the existing CoH Team put into it and the game only continued to improve the further Jack got away from the game. When he moved off it entirely and put Matt Miller in charge while he worked on Marvel Universe, City of Heroes became a true success, the proof is in the fact that the game is still there, still putting content out and has a solid subscriber base.

I'd say its a safe bet you won't be able to say that about either Champions or STO, they're the exact SAME GAME with different graphics. Neverwinter will be the same thing unless the totally scrap their 'precious' Crytpic Engine and use something new (which BTW was developed AFTER City of Heroes and is not the same engine as CoH/CoV).

There's a reason most of the CoH live development team left with the game when NCSoft and Cryptic parted ways. Cryptic can't keep good people.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 10:22AM UnSub said

"When he moved off it entirely and put Matt Miller in charge while he worked on Marvel Universe, City of Heroes became a true success, the proof is in the fact that the game is still there, still putting content out and has a solid subscriber base."

People tend to say this, but the financial results indicate that CoH/V's growth period was under Emmert's watch. Since Cryptic sold CoH/V out to NCsoft, CoH/V's revenues (and associated player base) has been constantly shrinking, despite claims that the devs are putting in the features players really wanted. If they were really doing such a great job, wouldn't the game be attracting players?

Perhaps GoRo will reverse this trend, but I don't think it will for long.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 12:43PM (Unverified) said

UnSub,

There are very few MMO's who see actual growth past the first year. After the first year its a game of keeping enough people playing to keep the numbers from falling off entirely.

Burnout rates on these games are high. There are about 2 notable exceptions that I can think of, WoW, which is an anomaly in the industry in general and EvE which stuck to its niche and word of mouth and a great web based advertising campaign managed to reach an increasingly larger audience year over year.

The entire atmosphere of the CoH community forums and in-game changed once Emmert was off the game for a few months. Players were happier with the changes coming down the line and the flow of information that came from the development team.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 10:30PM UnSub said

I agree that growth is hard, but that was exactly what CoH achieved up to the launch of CoV. They did see a spike with the release of crafting (just before CoH/V was fully acquired by NCsoft), but generally it's been a downhill run in terms of player numbers / revenue since then.

The atmosphere of the community may have changed, but it has also shrunk since that point too. This is despite the dev team apparently giving players what they wanted - user generated content, revamped PvP, more content, etc. Emmert certainly made mistakes, but Cryptic did manage to launch a MMO successfully and grow it around the same time that WoW launched and dominated the market.

I know this is where the "CoH/V was good in spite of Emmert" meme comes in, but I don't think that idea holds too much water either.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 1:01AM Anatidae said

Although not an MMO, I appreciate the interview.

Part of me wants you to get an interview to discuss their other games, but I doubt that is going to fix anything anyway.

My history was that I was very pro-cryptic. Then after Champions, more wary-cryptic. Now I can honestly say that I am avoid-cryptic.

I really hope they turn things around. I love super hero MMOs and would have killed for a good Star Trek MMO. I can't even say that either game is horrible... just missing that spark.

*sigh*

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 1:34AM Greeen said

Well thanks for this interview. I appreciated it a lot and I like what I hear.
Although I have to say, it sounds like an admittance to "STO & CO are mediocre".
So no reason to boast with short developement times. Please do take your time with this game then and do make it ready for launch, as you say, Jack.
Looking forward to more than I did yesterday though, I admit.

Posted: Sep 3rd 2010 4:45AM coolgadget1 said

The interview was great..Could you share me a link where i can view the video of this interview online? Anyways thanks for sharing!!

Retail Interview Questions