Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 4:25PM Tizmah said

Neverwinter Nights and It's decent sequel were some of my favorite times spent gaming. I can not in good faith say that Cryptic will do a decent job on this on my past experiences with them. Expecting Bioware quality from Cryptic is like expecting SPAM out of a can to be just as good as an oven roasted Ham.

I would normally say, "I'll wait until I see it". I can't on this one. I don't even want to watch one of my favorite games to become tarnished in name with the garbage Cryptic will put out.

Since it's set for launch in 2011, I know it will be a reskin clone for Champions and Star Trek. That's what Cryptic planned to do. Take 3 popular subjects and use the same engine and clone stuff for lots of big $$$.

Actually, I'm not angry at Cryptic. I'm mad at the idiots who sold them the rights to have it.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 4:33PM Purkit said

This sounds to me as if it will be NWN light edition. Basically a half-baked content creator based on the Cryptic engine, with some bland badly implemented content from Cryptic to justify a monthly fee.

I have very little confidence that Cryptic can make compelling content, maybe they think players will do better if they are given the tools. However I don't have any confidence that this will come close to the functionality of the original game. He says it should be accessible to the maximum amount of people, to me that sounds like an excuse for it being really basic.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 4:46PM (Unverified) said

I predict the new wave of gaming's future:

1. Release half-baked unfinished game, while giving a content creator at launch.
2. Allow players to finish the game AND pay a monthly fee.
3. Sack real programmers and hire a skeleton crew to man the servers.
4. Bankroll next project and repeat.

Let's face it, Cryptic/Atari have already done very close to that for two games now (minus actually finishing the games in any real way), and they are banking (rightly so) on the real fans to eat up their games based on the IP 'popularity' and emotional attachment of the player-base.

As long as people keep eating the swill they peddle, they will keep on buying cheap IPs and driving them into the ground.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 5:07PM SocksForYou said

*One of "The Bobs" from Office Space gets his hands on Cryptic's announcement*

"Hmm let's see here Cryptic Studios, a real underperformer. Sounds like they got a new game. Callin' it Nev...uh, Neverwi...well, Nevergonna amount to crap anyway! Hah!"

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 5:32PM wjowski said

I'm predicting this'll go over about as well as the CDi Zelda games.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 6:53PM Skyydragonn said

First failings for this title

1) its being done by Cryptic, who will invariably re-use city of heroes, Chamions online and Star trek online mechanics, content, architecture etc with a shiny new box and graphics.

2) 4th edition ruleset is a joke, Anyone who enjoyed D&D (up until 3.5) will alrgely hate the 4th edition rules. Which we know won't be "true" to the PnP version anyway.

I'm sure others will post others. and hell 1 year from announcement to release?
REALLY???

Atari only JUST bought the domain names for the freakin game a couple of months ago. This will be another spectacular franchise ruined by the touch of Craptic studios.....

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 8:27PM (Unverified) said

In the McMMO world, Cryptic is the Hamburglar :\ Well, there's always Secret World, SW-TOR, GW2, Black Prophecy, or a bunch of others to play, and that's not even counting the decent titles going to F2P like LOTRO.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 12:44AM suntyl said

That's a shame, haha.

It's weird, my three favorite MMO's are pretty much the most hated in the industry. CO, AoC, and SWG.

Maybe I'm just too casual.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 1:36AM Vundal said

the only game u mentioned thats hated is CO, and thats largely because of Cryptic studios backhanded usage of the game.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 4:40AM Dread said

Another raced to the market piece of crap using the same atrocious engine as the last couple.

Why?!?!

Any other favorite IP's of mine you want to screw over? Dragonlance? Wheel of Time perhaps?

Why couldn't you piss off and screw over the Thomas Covenant books or something else I detest?

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 5:45AM Bezza said

Based on past performance Cryptic make 'lite' games. They are fun, but they are lite, low cal games guaranteed not to satisfy your appetite.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 10:06AM (Unverified) said

I'm an avid soloer, but I play these games FOR the persistent world. I want a live and vibrant community that is doing it's thing while I am doing mine. If I wanted a cold dead instance lobby game, I'd play the already established NWN2 or single player games. When I do want to group, I want it to happen organically, not by some matching system or by spamming the main lobby. No, I don't want to camp the same mob for hours on end for that quest drop. No, I don't want to deal with a grindy leveling curve. No, I don't want to compete with others for XP and loot drops, but all of these things can be taken care of without instancing and without killing the entire purupose of an MMO, the persistent world that evolves even when you don't play. Lobby games are NOT MMOs, they are merely multiplayer extensions of the single player game.

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 1:39PM rocklobsterchica said

NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Posted: Sep 2nd 2010 7:44PM (Unverified) said

DDO will still be better... Not saying this game wont be good, but I'm loyal to DDO...

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 9:16AM (Unverified) said

They are going to try to reproduce the success of the original NWN with the community generated content.

The original NWN was co-op also...whats new?

I was pretty disappointed when I saw that the NWM forums were moved to the EA forums, more homogenization.

I for one am extremely skeptical, why not just play the Diamond edition NWN for like $10?

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014