Posted: Aug 24th 2010 10:30PM (Unverified) said

That's a completely unfair and mean comparison. Kevin Costner deserves more respect than that. You can't tell me that, given the choice between watching waterworld and playing a cryptic game for 2 hours, you wouldn't choose waterworld (or kill yourself to avoid the decision).

Anyways about the game, Atari and Cryptic don't seem to be on the same page.

"Jack Emmert: I wouldn't say MMORPG at all--Neverwinter is a cooperative RPG." from the gamespot interview.

"Neverwinter features co-operative multiplayer in an ever-evolving, persistent world where Dungeons & Dragons adventurers quest alongside THOUSANDS of other warriors, rogues, wizards and faithful avengers." (my emphasis) from the Neverwinter feature list. It's usually the publisher that makes the official site for the game.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:08PM SgtBaker said

Oooh! D&D Fanboyism vs. Cryptic Hate in one neat box.
Can the first overshadow the second? Will it be yet another copy &paste game?
Will Bill Roper comment? Will they start selling Lifetime subs already?

Will. Anyone. Dare. To. Buy. It?

My money is on No.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:10PM (Unverified) said

NOT AN MMO.

It looks like it will be more akin to borderlands but have the option for user generated content using 4th edition rules. Since obsidian started ruining NWN with 2 I don't think that Cryptic could do much worse.

Again, it is only an MMO if you count NWN and NWN2 as MMOs which nobody does.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:12PM HappyFunBall said

Cryptic sucks. Why must they take one of my favorite IPs and ruin it? (Again.)

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:15PM (Unverified) said

I can think of 3 reasons right off the bat this will be a fail of epic proportions:
1.- Cryptic
2.- D&D 4th Ed.
3.- 5 classes (only 5?! wtf are they thinking?! Icewind Dale 2 had like 10-12 classes to chose from, had coop multiplayer and was made like 7 years ago).

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:30PM (Unverified) said

This is outrageous, they mocked with Star Trek, they will do the same with Neverwinter and there is no doubt about this.

Why would someone trust Cryptic with such IP's? Fool me once...

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:20PM Cendres said

Looks like this is one more reason to start appreciating DDO, and thank Turbine for doing it justice.

As for NWN2, Mask of the Betrayer was freaking awesome. I'd rather play NWN2 with modules then look forward to a Cryptic game. I don't often speak badly of MMO companies either...

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:25PM (Unverified) said

First response: NWN &!#% yeah!

Second response: Cryptic NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:35PM (Unverified) said

1) up to 5 players is not massive

2) Something that he was careful to point out was that this is not a full-blown, persistent MMO: "I wouldn't say MMORPG at all -- Neverwinter is a cooperative RPG."

Why is this news on this site?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:38PM (Unverified) said

great......cryptic is going to decimate another solid IP.......

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:38PM BubleFett said

I want lifetime subscription for this game.
I want a C-Store
I want buggy quests
I want Server downtime that last for weeks
I want laggy frame rates
I want boring game play
I want the game to come out tomorrow cause Jack can pull it off.

Thanx

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 4:10AM GaaaaaH said

Do you also want a beta test that ends 1 week before launch, with no time to fix issues?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:41PM Stillhart said

HAAAAAHAHAAHAHAAA!!

Cryptic/Atari, who have completely lost my faith in every way after CO and STO, and R. A. Salvatore, the Michael Bay of fantasy authors, teaming up. Seriously, they should just stop development now and save their cash and time. This could be the most laughably ill-conceived project I've heard of in ages.

I'll be following this with cynical glee, you can be certain!

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:43PM Harley Dude said

So it's not going to be a MMO...just like STO lol. I wonder if they'll still have a monthly fee and a cash shop for this non-MMO.

I eagerly await watching this train wreck.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:48PM jealouspirate said

Just echoing all the other comments here, Cryptic doesn't deserve your money or your trust. This game will not be good.

A company filled with controversy and bad decisions, that already has TWO failing MMOs to take care of? How could anyone feel safe buying into this garbage?

They'll create hype, sell a bunch of boxes through preorder sales and lifetime subscriptions (only available before you realize how bad the game is!) and then move on.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:51PM TheJackman said

Cryptic.... Gonna pass on this one...

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 1:53PM TheJackman said

Wonder how Bioware feels like they where the ones that make Neverwinter a IP to start with now there hard work label is use to get people to play a other MMO from Cryptic...

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 2:33PM (Unverified) said

First it isn't an MMO, more like a more internet/multiplayer friendly NWN1 or 2.

Second it isn't bioware but Atari that owns the IP, Bioware was just the developer of the first NWN, Obsidian the second NWN.

I will wait to see how arcade-like they make it, hopefully they will put in user design tools that will allow us to make it better like the previous NWN titles.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 2:37PM TheJackman said

Well in 18 months you can :P

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 9:58AM UnSub said

BioWare didn't make the Neverwinter Nights IP - it was originally an AOL game and an online RPG at that. One of the first games of its type.

BioWare picked up the IP later on.

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014