Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 4:13PM (Unverified) said

They have been trying to experiment with player generated content and get it into CO and STO..

There first two games have been a testbed for the third... which will fuel more, if Atari doesn't wise up and pull their plug.

they are one of the jokes of the game industry now, the only saving grace is they are starting to acknowledge that their games aren't MMOs - just slapped together RPGs that happen to allow others onto a server.

there is zero reason their last two games shouldn't have been shipped as single player games that allow you to buy stuff online in their store. BLEK on Cryptic.

Sorry to see this IP go to them... but they are usually the lowest/only bidder around that can pull out quick box sales and bail...but first they have to bury the bodies...look for more firing... err leaves to be with family in the near future.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:25AM OmegaDestroyer said

Does the world really need another online Cryptic game?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:25AM Deadalon said

This is Crytpic at its best. Take a IP - ruin it ... and move on to the next.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:26AM Randomessa said

Hmm, well in late 2011 I hope to be up to my eyeballs in fun with Guild Wars 2, but if NWN the RPG isn't going to be an MMO, I also don't expect it to require a subscription to play... so I'm not seeing nearly as much of a problem here as I would were it planned to be an MMO.

Of course, Cryptic is crazy if they want to charge a sub for it, so I await confirmation on that front.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:27AM Azimn said

• Half a heart
Am I the only one freaking excited about this??? THIS IS AWESOME!!!!

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 12:57PM (Unverified) said

No it isn't awesome, it's Cryptic. This game is going to be shit, just like Champions Online, just like Star Trek and just like CoH before Cryptic sold it.

Posted: Aug 24th 2010 7:43AM Snichy said

A sad indication of this websites community that the one positive reply has been downrated, irrespective of whether it was sarcastic or not.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:27AM (Unverified) said

:( - such a promising and fulfilling IP and they hand it off to... Cryptic. I am sorry Cryptic, I had high hopes for you but you dashed them one too many times.

A PC D&D Game based on 4th Ed [which, oddly enough, is based on... *dah dah* computer game play styles O.o] with only 5 classes [Why oh why?] which might be gender & race locked [look at the playneverwinter.com site - hold judgement on that til more information, but if it is gender + race locked then bigger boo].

The Forgotten Realms IP would be something to make an Amazing MMO off from - there are tons of classes, skills, and places that could be fiddled with. Instead we are going to get a "futurized" 5 player co-op RPG... WTH is with Co-Op being so big? GAH! If I want to have 4 other players completely ruin my enjoyment of a game, I will play an MMO.

*Note: by "futurized" I do indeed mean "dumbed down" to the lowest common denominator and more focused on Action than Role Playing [no offense to the people who enjoy that sort of game, but I am sick of seeing the RPG genre heading in that direction; and am entitled to that opinion I hope]

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:30AM (Unverified) said

Why is this even on here, it's not an MMO. Why would any company embrace the disaster that is Cryptic? Is the trend in the genre to embrace mediocre games that are made cheaply on existing crappy engines in order to make box sales then move on to the next piece of crap? The D&D frachise has made so much more money when working with Bioware, why break that tradition now and with such a horrible alternative?

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:49AM nomoredroids said

Ever read the rules to 4th Ed. D&D? Neverwinter IS an MMO. An MMO in a non-persistent world where you play solo or with a friend or two. All the tired old mechanics we're getting sick of, none of the fun! Hooray!

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:31AM NeoDodge said

Honestly, I think it couldn't be better news for the game. I mean, I already have DDO for my D&D MMO fix, I much prefer the alternative.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:37AM Greeen said

• 1 heart
meh, sorry, but I was burnt by Cryptic with CO and with STO.
If they do this, why not at least as a full fledged MMO? there is a reason there are mainly fps with modern weapon type of games for co-op. the D&D rules (or rather, many of the classes) are just not made to be played by pugs who have no clue. so either make a decent single player game, or full mmo. better yet, since it's cryptic, let it be. but too late for that, I guess.
/sad
/pass
/digs out NW1,2 discs

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:38AM Dumac said

Oh good, i was just thinking we need more arguments over whether a game is an MMO or not, thanks, Cryptic.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:43AM aurickle said

Champions Online: Lifetime sub, which I haven't played beyond the first couple weeks. Tried going back a couple times and simply couldn't get into it.

STO: Played beta and thought it sucked. Totally missed the spirit of Star Trek. Didn't bother to subscribe, and from talking to the few friends who did I don't feel like I'm missing much.

Neverwinter: Not even going to bother picking up. Even if it does prove by some miracle to be a great game, I refuse to give another dime to Cryptic. They seem focused on always capitalizing on introducing the next shiny new kid on the block but then moving on to the next one. If they were parents, they'd be brought up on charges of negligence!

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:44AM Tom in VA said

If it is designed similarly to the CORPG Guild Wars and if is implemented with a comparable level of quality (big ifs, I know, I know).

Then I will be very interested in this game.

I am very VERY glad that it will not be a traditional MMO.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:47AM Wensbane said

My favourite IP in Cryptic's paws? I think I might throw up a little...

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:54AM Korvix said

I already did....

Cryptic needs to hurry up and give up already; hopefully this game will be the one to do them in....and NWN IP can be handed off to a studio that makes good games. Not only will my favorite IP destroy one of the worst game studios there is it might actually have a chance to get the treatment it deserves!

...we can hope...

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 12:29PM Whiney said

• Half a heart
The game has not come yet and you guys already crying like a bunch of 2 years old?

Awesome.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:58AM myr said

Someone's either trolling, or hasn't played a Cryptic game.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 11:57AM ScottishViking said

1) Cryptic: NOOOOOO! (But we all knew it was coming.)

2) OK, so, good news that it's not an MMO. No, really. A co-op RPG could be OK. But stop me if I'm wrong, but...wasn't that, like, NWN?