Posted: Aug 21st 2010 7:28PM (Unverified) said

Just be prepared for crappy controls :3

Posted: Aug 22nd 2010 12:22AM (Unverified) said

Some of us actually like playing with a controller. Plus, the controls can't be as crappy as FFXI. I just hear that the mouse needs fixed.

Posted: Aug 22nd 2010 12:27AM (Unverified) said

I want to like the game, I really do, but I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to do after I escort the lawlwaffle girl to the lighthouse. Baederon (or whatever his name is) won't give me the next part of the main story, so all I can do is guildleves which only last me about half hour and then I'm on lockout for 2 days. And I can't just grind on mobs because everything kicks the living snot out of me in 3 seconds. So someone please tell me how to enjoy this game.

Posted: Aug 22nd 2010 3:03PM (Unverified) said

You're meant to test the gameplay systems, they aren't going to spoil the games story before it is released.

Posted: Aug 22nd 2010 10:58PM Cendres said

As pointed out, there's too much missing right now to play this for the actual game, if you want fun try to break something and make a thread about it. :D

As for mobs kicking your butt pay attention to the colored icon by the names, go for greens, blues and try yellows, NOT reds.

If all fails, group up and let me know how battle regiments are doing. ^_^

Posted: Aug 22nd 2010 3:01PM (Unverified) said

That man to the right has mammary glands, big ones.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 4:30AM (Unverified) said

The biggest problem with FFXIV is not the controls or the UI - but the system in place to control character development.

Every action you commit gives you a chance at gaining Rank experience.
What is Rank experience?

Well - There are two stats that govern your character's growth.
Physical Level: Gives you stats and resistance points.
Rank Level: Basically acts as job level in FFXI --- it is your character's actual level when 'conning' mobs and deciding where to experience.

These two levels grow in different ways - Physical Experience gains from every monster and guildleve completed. Rank experience is accumulated through individual actions done per battle.

Why this is flawed:
Rank experience being based on individual action means in order to successfully group, you need to fight monsters hard enough to survive a few blows from each member. However, these monsters hit so hard that tank could sustain prolonged combat without healers bombing them - or groups of larger than 5 people with multiple tanks (see the youtube video of 15 ppl fighting a salamander).

They need to come up with a way to calculate rank experience without basing it on each action committed by the user. It's just unrealistic to think a healer is going to do the same amount as a dps who has to mash one button over and over.

On the matter of controls and UI - it's manageable. Just buy a ps3 controller, download some wonky drivers, and plugger' in. If you didn't play XI with a controller you really missed out.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories