Posted: Aug 21st 2010 12:25PM Mevan said

FFXIV is not just limited to guildleve's for leveling.. Makin that the case and forcing the hardcore player to be on pace with a casual player would offer no reward to the hardcore. How it actually is.. Standard party/solo (but mostly party) leveling will be the normal way to grind out levels. The rewards for kills won't be as high per kill as they are for guildleve's but they don't need to be because the quantity will make up for it. Guildleve's are instead a bonus that will be made available every 48 hours. It will be much like FFXI's MMM in that while it's not something you can just keep doing one after the other it provides a bonus.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 1:29PM bartillo said

• Half a heart
having to grind mobs without quests = fail.

No one will tolerate grinding of mobs in the USA.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 1:49PM Mevan said

Stop being a WoW baby.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 1:47PM (Unverified) said

If I'm understanding the guildleves correctly (since I'm not in the beta) you can only do 8 every 2 days or so for yourself, but you can help out friends as many times as you want with no limit, correct? Is there a big difference in the rewards if you do them as a group than if you did them solo? If so I could see a big issue there. If not, I have an existing LS in FFXI who (for the most part) plan on moving to XIV on launch day and the timer really wouldn't affect me. I can see how it would affect those who like to solo, but in most MMO's, you're going to have to deal with other players eventually.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 1:55PM Mevan said

The only difference in the reward is that you don't get as much Gil and you don't get the item reward (gear). There than that the exp and rank points earned is the same. It's a nice system.

(Is in the beta)

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 1:49PM jpkustra said

• 1 heart
I highly recommend you get into the beta and play it before you buy it. Other than the cinematic stuff I hate it. It's just my opinion but It's going to be a grindy, clanky console game with a pretty skin on it. So disppointed...

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 1:55PM deejrandom said

I see alot of this stuff changing as the game goes on. I am going to be interested to see what the game is like in a year, as opposed to what it is like when it launches.

The only thing that really bothers me is the Fatigue system. I don't think a dev should force you to stop playing a class just because they want to appeal to a more casual crowd. We'll see if that actually stays.

The dev team seems to have a bit of a bi polar thing going on: It seems one part of the team wants it one way while the other part wants it another.

I'll be playing this game when it launches, but I have my reservations. I have never stayed with a game for a long time after launch, but I want to with this one. I'd like to see what changes come down the pike.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 2:10PM mmark said

This link, from our friends at JPButton shows the massive changes that FFXI went through on its first couple of years since launch.

The changes are quite extensive, with abilities and traits coming and going, exploits constantly squashed, and items, jobs, and level increases added.

I expect the same will come to pass with FFXIV.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 2:16PM Monkey D Luffy said

Been playing FFXIV all night. So far I'm loving it. Chopping wood has never been so fun, lol. Gameplay is fun too.

I am actually having fun grinding.

Every time i kill or harvest something i feel i have gained more powerful.

Lalafell power!

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 2:20PM Zetsuei said

Overall the game is very enjoyable, bar a few problems. Is it me, or is fishing a horrible experience right now? A 1/5 chance of finding the fish, and if you fail you start over and it takes awhile to get thru the menus to get back to get another chance.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 11:43PM Monkey D Luffy said

@Kraiser. I have not got to fish yet but i plan to try the rest of the classes today.

Posted: Aug 22nd 2010 2:34AM Monkey D Luffy said

@Kraiser. I caught 2 out of 4 tries fishing, but had a fish on the line all 4 times (probably just Irish luck).

Have you looked at this fishing guide?

Posted: Aug 22nd 2010 3:00AM Monkey D Luffy said

@Kraiser. BTW s-CRY-ed FTW

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 2:25PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
So there you go folks...if you like chopping wood and grinding and grinding and grinding then this is the game for you!

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 2:51PM (Unverified) said

People are treating the beta as a final release demo....

As for the guildleve thing.. You can hold a total of 8 leves (quests) at a time, you go back to the NPC to exchange the completed leves for new ones. If you exchange certain leves for new one you're reward will be better... better gear more gil, ext ext.

In the beta there are 3-4 leves per area. You can't repeate the same leve until the cool down wears off (48 hrs). So people are stuck because there aren't more variety of leves to undertake.

Now I could be completely wrong but just maybe for release SE will introduce more leves per area therefore granting you more than 8 quests every 48 hours.

Again people are used to beta testing games that are:
Content testing of an established game
Localization testing (proof reading) of an established game
or Open beta testing (demo)

SE has had the beta testers, testing systems not content. It's been hard for people to understand.

(been testing since alpha 1)

Posted: Aug 22nd 2010 2:57AM Monkey D Luffy said

I completely agree with everything you just said.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 2:56PM (Unverified) said

I have the CE edition pre-ordered, so does my old LS from FFXI. We all can't wait to reunite there.

It's an evolutionary step to FFXI and that's exactly what I'm looking for. If you didn't like FFXI or can't comprehend that this game is being develop by a console-based company, then move along. There are many other "pure" PC MMO out there for you to try and most of them are good (LOTRO for example, and in a few weeks it'll be free-to-play).

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 3:12PM Mevan said

What this guy said. If only I could get my whole LS to come along too. The game is fun as hell. That may just be because I'm a 5 year vet. Of XI but I don't care.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 6:25PM archipelagos said

So would someone be right in saying that XIV is more of XI, but with updated graphics? What are the major differences?

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 7:04PM Mevan said

FFXIV is actually FFXI+3. With great new solo options, faster; more interesting combat and better graphics. You can still expect some of the things that made XI great like a great story, beautiful and well designed world and chocobo's :D

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014