Posted: Aug 21st 2010 8:14AM archipelagos said

That is such a gorgeous picture, where is it from?

My current games don't need to do anything to make me stay. The new triple AAA's need to prove to me that it's worth the jump. I'm not the sort of person that looks at a pretty CG trailer and immediately pre-orders the CE boxset. The new titles gotta do all the work, my current games just keep on keeping on.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 12:42PM (Unverified) said

This is a beautiful in which background is showing many kinds of flowers and many other things for hot and sizzling pictures of girls visit and much more

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 8:28AM (Unverified) said

That's Sansa Stark from George R. R. Martin's series A Song of Ice and Fire. Amazing books.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 8:38AM archipelagos said

Thank you for the link! I was looking for something to read.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 12:22PM Lateris said

I read HBO is making a mini series on his books.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 8:50AM Thrishmal said

Curse you! I saw the picture and instantly thought "They are making a Song of Ice and Fire MMO?!?!?"

You win this round of deception!

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 9:44AM Tom in VA said

LOL. That is exactly what I thought: Sansa Stark, can this mean a Song of Ice and Fire MMO?

George Martin's series is a great (if unfinished) read; it's a pity he'll probably never finish it at his current production rate of 1 book every 5 or 6 years....

Anyways, back on topic: my MMO plan is to use Cataclysm to kill time until SWTOR or GW2 hit the seen. I am also greatly looking forward to Dungeon Siege 3 and Dragon Age 2 next spring.

Cataclysm looks fun, but it doesn't interest me near as much as SWTOR and GW2.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 11:14AM (Unverified) said

Congratulations Tom, you're my new best friend.

Your post = exactly what I was thinking.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 2:10PM (Unverified) said

I thought the same thing.

I would SO play ASOIAF as an MMO, and am surprised nobody has attempted one.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 8:54AM mysecretid said

As Archipelagos suggests, it's not so much that my current games (Warhammer Online, Star Trek Online) have to make me stay -- I already enjoy these.

The burden falls on the /new/ games to make swapping out one of my current games for a new game something that I want to do.

As a (supposed) adult, the monthly fees are not the problem. The problem is /time/. Even though gaming takes the place of television as my main form of entertainment, I still can only devote X hours of time every day to gaming.

A new MMORPG has to be worth my /time/; it has to be consistently more interesting to me than something I'm already playing.

I try most of the major MMORPGs which see release, eventually, but in the end, I've only got room for two.

Lately, I find that the more an MMORPG makes me feel a part of the game world, the more likely I am to stay.

Adventures and battle are great, but all games offer those. To steal ArenaNet's tagline for Guild Wars 2, if I get the sense that I'm in an MMORPG which "knows I'm there" -- or at least allows me to feel a part of the game world, as above -- that's a good start.

My opinions, anyway.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 8:57AM Automagically said

A small typo in the article. It says: "Further on in the fall you have DCUO, rumors of WoW's Cataclysm, and then on into 2011 you've got TERA, Rift: Planes of Telara, and of course SWTOR."

I think what it means to say is"Blah blah blah blah, and of course Guild Wars 2."

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 9:08AM bate said

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 9:11AM (Unverified) said

MM is for massively multiplayer. I played WoW from release til level 70ish. What kept me so long was a simple combination of addictive gameplay, pleasing visuals, and friends. Once you have nobody worth logging in to hang out with, any game will lose its luster a bit. I played WAR for over a year because of a great guild of friends. Same with SWG, FF11, DDO, LOTRO, and now EVE. If you don't find your niche of pals in a community of thousands, you can only solo an MMO for so long until something shiny comes along to entice you.

Most MMOs are good enough to try. It's what you personally make of the world itself that compels you to stay there. One good gaming buddy is usually enough to keep me around.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 9:13AM Pasha said

Nothing can force me to play same game for more than 2 years (usually it's more like 6 months) - all of them become boring. However I return from time to time to check new expansions for 1-2 months - except for WoW there expansions cost same as new game: there is no point to pay $40 + $15/month to see the same game with 1-2 end-game dungeons which I cannot raid alone (friends/guildmates already quit it)

In LotRO I return for season festivals for new rewards/horses.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 9:15AM Faryon said

My list:

FFXIV - I know almost nothing about it so I guess it just needs to be fun, casual-friendly and grind-free (or at least have disguised the grind somehow).
Aion-AoB - Don't like Aion or NCSoft won't try it.
DCUO - Same as FFXIV.
Cataclysm - From what I understand the basic formula is still raid and/or PvP grind so no thanks.
TERA - Really don't like the setting so it would need to be extremely fun to make me play it.
Rift - Same as FFXIV and DCUO.
SWTOR - Probably going to play this for the class-stories, but if the endgame is just another grind I will probably shelf it after playing through the classes I'm interested in.
GW2 - Same as FFXIV, DCUO and Rift.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 9:17AM Greeen said

There are a couple few things that make me stay or come back quite fast again:
a) I have invested quite a bit in time, effort (and also money, but that is secondary for a hobby?)
b) guild/community
c) habbit. I know the game(s) fairly well, even as a casual one, so no learning curve to "fight" with perhaps.
d) tiredness of switching all the time.
e) being disspointed with the new game for whatever reason.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 9:39AM (Unverified) said

For me, it is mainly Roleplay.

Right now I am playing Age of Conan, and logging in makes me realize how I am only sticking to the game due to the nice community, both of players and characters, that I was able to find, and that if it wasn't because of them I would have long left the game.

I was really into raiding in WoW back in TBC and till WotLK finally bored me to death, and now in other games like this one, I just don't feel like it anymore. PvP, well I enjoy it in terms of AoC's minigames (6v6 matches) or the ocasional sieges my guild takes part in, but I'm not really into that, and the whole PvP level farming in Bori is just tedious to simply be "competent" gearwise in PvP. I think the mix of a universe that is as good as AoC's for playing a character, together with the fact I found some great friends to play with is what made me stay.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 10:19AM (Unverified) said

I'm luckily not facing this dilemma. After playing Aion and picking myself from the trainwreck, I realised that I needed to spend a little time away from the market of MMO's.

So I've been reading, inspecting and watching videos. FFXIV / Cataclysm really have my attention right now, mainly because I know I can trust the developers.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 10:33AM Its Utakata stupid said

If I could roll a pink pig-tailed gnome Space Marine, that would make me want to stay...

...um....kidding aside. GW2 and Rift are the ones that have tickled my fancy. And what will make stay for those, if a) they are cracked to what devs claim them to be and b) if they have jaw dropping fully immersive experiences.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 10:34AM Verus said

I played wow for almost four years. Everything from casual guilds to hardcore raiding stuff. Then about a year ago I stopped playing that.

Since then I have tried almost every mmo out there from lotro, aion, ddo, warhammer, eq2 and so on. Problem is none of them are better than wow so it feels pointless.

Often when they make a new mmo they go for "hey, we are not trying to top wow we are doing something different". But what I want is an mmo that has the ambition to simply be better!

I hope that will finally happen with swtor but if not that will have to be it for the genre :/