Posted: Aug 20th 2010 11:03PM Shadanwolf said

Locked up 4 times trying to get into the game.Wife locked up 2x.Limited class selection for a free to play game...is beyond stupid.Reeks of desperation.(prepares to delete)

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 12:54AM (Unverified) said

I wish SOE would do this with Vanguard. The way the character looks is important to me. EQII is pure cheezy. That being said, I spent $17.50 for the Silver membership and a race unlock.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 10:58PM (Unverified) said

And I just spent another $10 in Station Cash for housing items.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 2:32AM (Unverified) said

The pricing is ALL wrong. To get access to what you would get in a normal sub model costs more WTF.

Paying $15 does not even get you full access, i dont get it. Hopefully they make some changes soon.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 8:13AM TheJackman said

yep even when you count the fact that you gonna buy the box set for 40 dollar in long term it set you back money! And for me its really hard to tell my self ok this is the game I will be playing for the next 12 months...

Posted: Aug 25th 2010 10:17PM (Unverified) said

@Jack,

Thats my biggest issue. To me the beauty of f2p games is that if i want to play for a week then ignore it for a month i can and dont feel like i am wasting money. Because of the ability to spend cash as i need it instead of monthly or yearly i have a lot of freedom.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 4:43PM uberman3000 said

After I pick a name for my character it crashes.... So yeah ...

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 7:53AM (Unverified) said

Let me know when they make SWG free to play. I've been wanting to try Jump to Lightspeed (and nothing else) but after feeding SOE money from the launch of EQ1 to the Kunark expansion of EQII and watching them mess up pretty much everything I liked, I swore I'd never give them another dime.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 10:57AM ChongShin said

I agree with you 99% Ralod. What they're doing with bags is the wrong way to do it, that's definitely true, but you'll notice other F2P games putting limits on bags as well.

The difference is that the bag limit in EQ2X is, like all other aspects of their attempt at F2P, more gimped than any F2P. The bag space is very limited, and the regular flow of house items that can not be banked is a transparent attempt at getting people to buy more bag space.

The limitations on chat channels makes sense in so far as thwarting the spammers. Those are the only bits that I disagree with though. You're absolutely on the mark with everything else.

I've spent some time in EQ2X and was surprised that every evil race, every good race, AND a few neutral races are all restricted. This is in addition to certain classes being restricted. This floored me. The comparison list did not prepare me for what I saw at character creation, although in hindsight it should have.

The end result is that EQ2X does not serve as a trial. The would-be customer has the majority of character choices restricted from them which makes it impossible to try things out; they'll be unable to determine if a certain race or a certain class is "fun" to them. They're then placed into a world that's highly restrictive - such as bag space - that requires payment to fix, and it comes across as a frustrating experience. That's not the experience that a company should want people to get from their trial.

Which is ironic, because that's what SOE is countering complaints with. It's surreal watching their bubble world in action. Complaints are brushed off with, "but many other people are enjoying it", or where that fails they call it "beta" and suggest that things can change when we know that most of it probably will not.

I don't know what to think about EQ2X, and that confusion stems from no other reason than looking at SOE and wondering just WTF they're doing.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014