Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 6:36AM Dolar said

Exactly, What they have as their 15 dollar a month tier is what most F2P games offer for free. I can't see very many people playing this for a long period of time as a free player, and I can't see a lot of people willing to pay what they are asking.

I played EQ2 for a few months when it launched, I played EQ for 5 years. EQ2 never really hooked me like EQ did. And that was with full access to the game, getting new players hooked and wanting to pay money for content, with what they are offering as F2P will not do it.

The majority of races should be free, the majority of classes should be free. No restriction on bags, or AH, or how much gold you can carry(this is a boggler) Access to all chat channels, and access to send and receive in game mail. Access to more then a tiny amount of gameplay would help as well, 50 or 60% of current content should be available for free, with a way to unlock a good portion of that additional content via play. If you don't hook a Free player, they are never going to pay for anything. You need to throw them a bone, not beat them into submission with restrictions. You catch more flies with honey then with vinegar as they say.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 2:09PM Seffrid said

It's going to be very interesting to see how well populated the F2P server is 3 or 6 months down the line...

I can't see a single reason why anyone would want to use the F2P edition of the game other than as an extended trial of the game, in order to get anything like the experience of the full game you'll need to pay more than the subscription on the other servers. Why would you do that? Certainly not in order to play on a crowded server, firstly I don't think the F2P server will be crowded when the novelty wears off and secondly there are already crowded servers on the subscription version - play on Antonia Bayle if you want an over-populated (for which read "laggy") server! You can only interact with so many people!

The bigger question is the extent to which the F2P version of the game will impact on the subscription version, and the resulting long-term direction of the game. Thus far the initial fears and suspicions of the veteran subscribers have been pretty much substantiated so the jury is still out in many respects on the wisdom of this move by SOE.

As for it being open beta, when you have a game that is F2P but with an open cash shop and no character wipe there is no meaningful distinction between open beta and launch, it just means that SOE can hide behind the "it's only beta" excuse when things go pear-shaped!

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 2:24PM MrVister said

Installed it and logged in.

I was already done with it before making my first character though.

Not being able to pick from more than 4 or 5 races immediately put the kibosh on this for me.

Class restrictions are annoying but I might have muddled around for a few days trying them out. Race restrictions like this are a deal breaker.

Just another desperate game trying to grab peoples money. This does nothing but reassure me that I have been smart to never give SOE games my money or attention.

They might have snagged me as a player but instead they chose to further the poor opinion of them that I already have.

Very stupid.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 2:55PM (Unverified) said

Well I tried it.. and, honestly, they managed to irritate me pretty quick. I can understand having some limitations on free players - but geesh :/

I could probably still deal with limitations - the tech is solid and the background DL is nice... but for gods sake Sony: DONT open my bloody browser "BUY NOW PAGE" when I exit the game. GAH!

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 3:20PM Pingles said

For being segregated from paying customers those seem like very severe restrictions.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 3:20PM Sunlover said

Hey, SOE! This has been pretty fun so far =)

Get rid of class, race, and broker restrictions, do away with the awful handicapping of spells and equipment, make the advertising pop up less annoying (As in, not in the middle of my screen while I'm about to be in or in the middle of combat!), and do NOT open my browser when I log off and exit game, and I might just give you some of my hard earned $$$ SOE.

P.S. Also, you may want to think about allowing access to adventuring/raid/dungeon content for all players. You might have issues down the line with players finding groups.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 3:30PM pcgneurotic said

Account creation servers seem to be hammered right now (9.30 GMT+1).

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 3:41PM Skitals said

I've never played either LOTRO or EQ2. Having played both F2P betas/live... I don't know why the heck you would waste your time playing a game that feels as outdated as EQ2 is. I'm sure it's got tons of great content, etc... but damn it has zero wow factor and little appeal. ALL the classes look ugly, particularly the select "free" ones.

Again, just knowing it's survived this long I'm sure it's a great game, but they are going after new players with this. With so many alternatives, I don't see why I should invest my time in this game.

In contrast, I was so blown away by LOTRO, I'm not paying for an account on live to get a head strat on f2p. And at this rate, I will stay a premium subscriber. I know it's a somewhat popular game, but damn, every day I can't help but wonder why it's not MORE popular. Once LOTRO f2p gets out of closed beta, I'm sure more people will come to the same conclusion. In fact, there are already a ton of new players on the live server that are now paying subscribers after experiencing the game for the first time in f2p.

No, Turbine did not pay me for this endorsement ;)

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 3:46PM dudes said

LOTRO is a good game, I hope it can stand up to WoW Cataclysm and EQII f2p.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 8:41PM Tizmah said

Why didn't you play it earlier? Just curious.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 3:43PM Zaetal said

Having already got characters to 80 and multiple alts, these restrictions are a no-go for me, would be extremely limiting compared to how I've played already. If I wanna play this again I'll just resub someday, not going to bother with this.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 3:45PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
LOTRO bored me. EQ2 doesn't. And I wish SOE was paying me for this endorsement. ;)

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 3:59PM (Unverified) said

I'm the complete opposite. I just got done getting a character to level 12 in EQ2X and I uninstalled it. I was already running into quests with no rewards unless I paid money to upgrade my account to a higher level of f2p or sub. I got hit with random pop up windows that asked me if I would like to upgrade to silver status. The fact that I am limited to so few class/race combos is annoying.... and the game itself is really old.

Lotro on the other hand only has two classes that are locked out and you can get both of those for free by saving up points you earn in game. Turbine games let you unlock content by playing/grinding certain things out in the game itself and don't limit you to the 'cash only' situation that SOE is using in Freerealms/CloneWarsAdv/EQ2X.

Wake up SOE, you are going to lose if you continue down this road.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 3:45PM dudes said

Website keeps crashing on me :(

Will wait though :)

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 4:05PM Cendres said

I am enjoying EQ2X a lot. What I don't enjoy is not being able to buy classes like we can with races. ?? I don't understand the logic there. I don't care if each class is 20$ it beats a monthly I won't get the full benefit of since I only play Eq2 on the side.

Pretty please let us buy class access!!

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 4:12PM Audacious said

Didn't even make it past character creation. Everything but a handful of options are locked. The 14 day trial is better in every way, and with its abolishment I can't even begin to fathom seeing many players willing to drop money on a game that has locked away everything that makes it interesting.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 6:38PM (Unverified) said

I don't know why Sony is claiming this is the first time it's been done, because Puzzle Pirates has been doing it for some years now.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 7:04PM Phirmware said

There's a reason EQ2 is showing it's age, graphics-wise

Sadly, SOE nerfed a ton of particle effects with this launch, and I'm not sure why.

It used to look a lot better. There are a ton of pages on the forums griping about the dumbing down of the graphics.

So I guess what I'm saying is, for some reason, we get a worse-looking game in order for everyone to be able to play for free.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 2:56AM Seffrid said

You're right, the graphics have been nerfed and quite severely in terms of spell effects. The reason for it is that the F2P move is designed to attract players from WoW, many of whom play on low level machines that cope with that game's very basic graphics quite well but which couldn't have coped with the more demanding graphics in EQ2 - hence they were dumbed down like the rest of the game over the years.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 9:00AM (Unverified) said

I was wondering about that.

Free Realms has nicer looking spell effects than EQIIX