Posted: Aug 20th 2010 1:07PM (Unverified) said

There is a reason that other companies haven't taken the path of 2 completely separate codebases & game types... $$$$ and Developer time.

The whole bit about doing it to "offer players choice of payment options" is a bit of drivel, they aren't the first to do that - they are just the first to segregate the 2 bunches and maintain 2 diverse environments. Time will tell if they can keep it up, or if either a) an influx of players to the new account type servers makes running the classic servers not cost-worthy, or b) F2P not providing much of a cash flow increase due to how it is implemented.

Of course thats just my opinion :)

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 1:20PM Dumac said

Yeah, i was excited to try it out, but im having awful UI glitches... Not game breaking, but extremely irritating. I guess its no EQ2 for me.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 8:16PM Saker said

I've had complete pc crashes, and I never had any problems when I used to play EQ2... I can only think it has to do with the new (crappy from what I've seen so far) "optimized graphics".

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 1:23PM Controlled Chaos said

Sounds like fun, I think I'll sign up pretty quick to get the extra beta time, since there'll be no wipe.

Been a while since I've wanted to try the game.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 1:23PM (Unverified) said

EQ2 is not really designed to be able to sue turbines modular model. I like what I get for free though. Halts was crowded last night. It was great to see so many people.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 1:25PM Keen and Graev said

No NDA, right?

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 1:28PM (Unverified) said

Open=no NDA

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 1:32PM Keen and Graev said

Clone Wars Adventures is open but still having people agree to their NDA. I still haven't received a real answer on what can be shared outside the forums.

I don't know what these beta's even mean anymore. Back in 1998 it meant we submitted written and detailed test reports or else we were removed from beta. Now it's like a free trial or simply a "we're not done with the game" tag.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 1:56PM Dril said

I thought it was fairly obvious (here, in 2010, 12 years after1998) that closed betas are really just the entirety of the beta; open beta is, by and large, finished content with a couple of bugs designed to create hype and let people, as you say, have a free trial. Or it's used as a scapegoat to say that "well, you know, things may suck/not work/not be impleted at the moment, but it's still beta! Just wait till it launches! Then it'll be much better! Yes! Please believe us!"

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 2:19PM Keen and Graev said

Far from clear. There have been open betas that simply mean more people added, Closed betas without NDA's, open beta's with NDA's, betas ending and companies saying you can not talk about the beta at all (aka never, ever, removing the nda... I think LotRO was one of those).

Since they renamed this "launch", I'll assume I can say whatever.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 3:20PM Not THAT Matt said

I agree.

This is a good option, and we'll definately be upgrading to the "Silver" package (there's no reason not to, and we're just giving some cash to the developers of a really decent game) but there are a few things that are annoying:

The browser opening up a "buy now" page when you exit is, to me, unacceptable. The big "upgrade now!" button when I launch is good enough.

I don't know if there's a way to turn this off, but because we haven't upgraded to silver yet I get a pop-up every so often (may be when I go AFK? or after X amount of minutes online, not sure) it pops a message urging me to "Upgrade now!" to silver or "no thanks". That's a tad obnoxious to pop it up in-game. And if I'm dropping twenty bucks permanently on the upgrade, it sure as heck better not pop up and ask me to upgrade to gold.

Not having access to the broker, no matter the one-time purchase you make (silver, etc) is pretty obnoxious. So is not being able to SEND in-game mail. You can receive it, but not send it? Huh?!

I think this will be a learning experience for Sony. And by learning experience, I mean that even when I was a paid subscriber to EQ2 their customer service didn't give a CRAP about anything I as a paying customer had to say. They'll learn just how easy it is to not care about the hundreds of thousands of non-paying customers and their suggestions/concerns.

If they could make a few changes, say not showing me 6 bags but disabling 4 of them and highlighting them red unless I pay a monthly fee; and let me actually interact with other players, whether by the broker or by sending mail, this would be an excellent option. Combine that with a few more cleverly intro-duced one time buys (which, I must point out, DDO seems to really be leading the way with - spend $7 and get this type of stuff permanently added to your game, etc) and NOT limit players to only 1/8 of your races and classes, and this would be a keeper.

Right now, though, how can you offer a game but not let the players who play it actually do a bunch of important stuff.

The broker thing is a big deal - when I played last year, you started dying ALL THE TIME without spending big bucks on gear.

You NEED good gear, this game is VERY gear dependant, and unless you get lucky with a guild (of which none exist right now because the game is essentially brand new) and trade that way, you're going to be out of luck, and as others have pointed out you'll start dying and won't stop. That'll put a stop to the game pretty quickly, like it or not.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 6:01PM distiler said

I'm really enjoying it, great move by SOE.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 1:52PM (Unverified) said

I could've enjoyed this, but I think SOE is doing it wrong.

I know you hold some of your races and classes to sell them, I get it. They want to make money.

But 12 out of 16 races you have to pay for? 16 out of 24 classes? It's ridiculous. Unless I really want to play a Human Wizard, I'm out of luck. It basically means that unless I want to waste my time on a character I don't like, I will have to buy a class, and possibly a race as well. Look at DDO. 2 of 7 races are 'premium', and one is earnable in-game. 2 classes of 11 are 'premium', and one is earnable in game. So really, it's 1/7 and 1/11. And F2P DDO has been very sucessful. It's clear that SOE is just trying to milk this as much as possible with 75% of the races and classes being 'premium'.

As it stands, I'm more likely to start up a $15 sub if I want to try EQII. And then I'll be stuck on the much-less-populated main servers, or be on the F2P servers where I get less value for the same price. $15 a month doesn't even get you all the races and classes! You have to put in a $200 yearly for that.

Honestly, it's ridiculous, and further cements my dislike of SOE. EQII F2P could have been done well, but this isn't it.

It's also chipping away at my enthusiasm for DCUO for the sole reason that SOE is also managing that.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 5:04PM silvertemplar said

• 1 heart
What kind of maths are you doing? EQ2 is offering 8 classes and 4 races for free. That's freaking more than WoW. It's like saying "but DDO got 1 town and it's free, but EQ2 got 50 towns and only 2 is free , so EQ2 must be sucking" . Huh? Are you seeing the failure in logic yet?

EQ2 have and always had an "obscene" amount of races and classes, many of them simply the same classes with a dark vs light slant. So i can respect them making those classes that are effectively a "variation" of an arch-type become a premium.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 5:30PM Dril said

@silvertemplar: Another EQ2 fanboy who knows nothing about other MMOs.

Firstly, let's point out that WoW has **TEN** classes and **EIGHT (Soon to be ten** races. Might I add that each race has unique animations for most things, none of this reused for nearly every race crap that EQ2 has.

Also, what kind of logic do you use? If DDO has one town, then that's 100% of its towns being free. If EQ2 has 2 of 50, it has, think....4% of its towns for free. Yeah.

Well, as far as I know, a lot of the classes that aren't available provide fairly powerful group buffs and abilities, so, you know, gimped to play and whatnot.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 8:26PM Not THAT Matt said

@silvertemplar

That may be true, but unfortunately you can't pick light OR dark races, aka any of the interesting ones, and you also can't pick any of the interesting classes.

The ONLY character I wanted to play in EQ2 was a Ranger, and I can't unless I pay a monthly fee. Kinda ruins the game for me.

Posted: Aug 21st 2010 8:10AM TheJackman said

Also let me add that the so called TEN classes of WoW are all enjoying to play. And every single class got 3 talent trees that change dynamic the way you play it!

So its 10 x 3 = 30 classes that WoW got! Like in Everquest there is not much choose how you play your class.

Posted: Aug 23rd 2010 3:47AM Azlew said

Dril. WoW doesn't offer that for free though, does it.
If we're comparing to the full subscription version of the game then EQ2 has 19 races and 24 classes. Each class can be skilled up according to your wants and needs via 3 trees of achievements, with 5 branches and independent endlines on the first tree, up to 6 branches and independent endlines on the second tree and 4 branches with endlines on the third tree. The amount of character customisation provided in EQ2 is far greater than in WoW.

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 1:56PM (Unverified) said

I like it for the most part.

The lack of chat channels I do not like.. but the new UI, stuff and all the polishing they have done .. it's really pretty nice. Still an old crappy engine.. but the game experience with the Free 2 Play is nice.

best part? People to play with!.. LOTS of them !

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 1:56PM ChongShin said

Their plans are odd. The F2P options are all severely gimped, including the most expensive options, so it looks like they feel the need to punish the F2P gamers regardless of how much money they actually get from those players. This tells me that they honestly don't want F2P customers, but rather it appears as though they feel like they NEED to offer something like this.

I play (and occasionally buy items in) some F2P games, and what it boils down to in my opinion is that SOE can't decide who they're going after for customers. They appear to be trying to cut down the middle, but that's not going to work very well. The people (such as myself) who choose F2P games will most likely stick to F2P models that make sense - and the current EQ2 model definitely does not make sense - and the people who want to pay monthly will continue to do so.

While I don't see this making a lot of money, I do see this (as someone mentioned elsewhere) as working as an extended trial.

As it is though they're seesawing between the two customer bases and I think that they're going to come out worse for doing so. They need to embrace one (or both) set of customers and respect those customers. Given their track record that may be difficult for them to do.