Posted: Aug 19th 2010 10:24AM Snichy said

Ship interiors was never high on my list of priorities back when I played, unless it was functional. Its good that it has been finally implemented though but as it stands at the moment, it is simply aesthetics.

Question: can you set a course for a far away system and let the ship auto pilot there while you walk around your ship waiting to arrive or do you have to maneuver around from the exterior view or dreaded system map?

Every time I read about STO they seem to be implementing a new piece of content which is commendable and I applaud Crypic for their effort. I may give the game another try by the time Season 4 comes along when hopefully more variety of content will be there.

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 10:38AM (Unverified) said

I'm not sure about your specific queries, but IIRC some of the diplomatic missions now take place on-ship, in your conference rooms etc. Not a big step towards a totally functional interior, but it's a start at least.

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 10:57AM Snichy said

From original article: "Thirdfully, players so far can't do much inside their starships. They're great for screenshots, and you can invite other players onto your ship for roleplaying bonanzaramas. But neither questing nor minigaming yet exists."

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 4:58PM mysecretid said

Yes, certain diplomatic missions (first contact missions, specifically) do tend to take place aboard your starship, in one of the conference rooms.

For those who have been wondering, yes, things to do inside the ship interiors are definitely planned, but first, the basic interiors had to be implemented successfully.

For example, there's a poker table set up in the Federation ship's lounge (think Ten-Forward) which is slated to become a mini-game.

There are three basic layouts for starship interiors at this time (Small, Medium, and Large). Captains can choose their layout style at a Shipyard; it's on a tab alongside your choice of ship's bridge.

Speaking of bridges -- the last time I looked, my Defiant bridge had a Ready Room. It may simply be a case of finding the right door to click.

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 11:40AM Grizz said

RP'ers are rejoicing now I bet.

How do you get onto a friends ship? What is the process?

In SWG you all have to crowd in a space terminal and join the same group to launch into space, and if someone new wants to join you cant just add 1, you have to repeat the whole process.

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 1:15PM phatbhuda said

You can invite new people to your bridge when you're already there.

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 1:17PM (Unverified) said

Ship interiors need to replace the system map view. When you are in a group with other captains they should all be on their own bridge but with the option to send their holographic image to another ship because obviously holo-emitters are installed in all rooms of all ships now.

I think its too much to ask at this point for the same sort of freedom the the SWG JTL expansion offered where you could be a passenger on your buddy's ship and basically look out a window at live real time space battle he was in. I think they could fake it good enough so you get the impression you are traveling somewhere.

When at a destination the bridge could "hail" the captain (popup box) informing them of their arrival at the system and could you please report to the bridge (if you are not there already.) sitting int he captains chair at this point via a context menu could then bring you back to the normal space combat viewer in the mission.

The ship needs to be functional. they added damage as a death penalty now so to repair damage to you or your crew you should have to visit sickbay on your ship. To repair the ship from death damage you should have to visit engineering.

these are all very basic things that don't sound hard to me to implement. My ship has an engineering lab why not put a crafting station there with a replicator for the basic components?

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 4:09PM Liltawen said

This is the 1 thing I really hope they work on. The problem as I see it is when you are walking around the ship interior you are using 'ground' controls; while flying a ship uses 'space' controls. I think they could solve it by putting the Space scenes on a 'windowed' view screen,-using 'space' controls, and adding some 'emotes' for walking about (emotes are indepenent of the whole ground/space control system I believe).Maybe the viewscreens could be at a lower resolution then 'space' so the graphics overhead doesn't get to crazy at having both loaded at the same time.
The real problem with putting content into your ship interior is that not everyone has them-which would make this 'gated' content. It might be interesting to find out what percentage of people really have interiors.

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 1:17PM phatbhuda said

To be honest, I'm not all that impressed by ship interiors. They already had bridges and the rest of the interior is a relatively simple extension of that.

Are they neat? Definitely! I'd be a lot more impressed if you could do things besides roleplay and decorate them a little.

That plus the Defiant style bridges I guess are too small for a Ready Room.

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 4:48PM mysecretid said

One of the recent patches made it so that crew NPCs will not enter the captain's quarters.

They'll walk up to the doorway, but then they'll turn away.

Posted: Aug 22nd 2010 9:37AM Drexel said

The interiors are very cool as a starting point. If they are working on a functional ship interior complete with missions, mini games and possibly even crew storyline/interaction it would go a LONG way towards making this game an authentic Star Trek experience.

I'm sure it's been said before but I can recall a lot of very good episodes of TNG (my favorite of the Trek series') that took place all on the ship with nothing but a scene setting longshot of the Enterprise to open the episode. When I can have a 2 hour gaming session and never leave the interior of my ship you'll have it nailed.

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story