Posted: Aug 18th 2010 12:14PM Calrissian said

Great write-up, and great series. I played the trial back in the spring, and this (and Steam's sale) inspired me to play a full month. I think your analysis is spot on. At several points, I have found myself entirely lost and confused, but the game population has been very helpful, and as I've worked through those hurdles, I've found an immensely enjoyable experience. I'm looking forward to sticking around awhile and seeing where the story goes.

Great work!

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 12:34PM Miffy said

• Half a heart
Give me Pre CU servers and I'm back.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 12:35PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
omg you blamed former players for the current state of the game? way to take the piss.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 12:53PM Brianna Royce said

That is not what the article says.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 12:56PM Dril said

I bet if you "former players" played the game as, you know, a new game you'd shut up about NGE and CU. Just saying.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 10:28PM Laephis said

• Half a heart
Except, of course, it does blame players (former ones), as is pointed out more eloquently down below.

I love the knee-jerk down-ranking that goes on around here (and every other website that uses these terrible rating systems). If anyone's comment should be downranked it's Brianna's, as it's factually incorrect and borderline trollish.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 12:54PM Ocho said

Very nice writeup. Although, I do have two points. One - "Casual players will likely be unwilling to sink a great deal of time going outside of the game and reading FAQs and guides from the very start." Its true, I'm casual, and its true, I don't do this. However, I feel its akin to spoiling the game. Why have all the puzzles figured out for you, when part of the fun is figuring them out yourself? Of course, in WoW and whatnot, if you don't know the boss inside and out before even seeing him in game, you're banished as a "total noob"... for me, thats a turn-off, but to make everyone else happy, I guess you need to suspend fun sometimes...

And Two) "If you watch Rocky Horror by yourself, it's an OK film" Have I seen it plenty of times? Yes. A cult favorite? Yes. Classic? Yes. A great experience? Yes... OK? .... I don't think it ranks as high as 'ok'. :)

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 2:21PM Krystalle Voecks said

As to the first point: that's why I noted that the difficulty curve is really very much subjective. In that case what's a positive for one is a negative for another. I'd personally prefer the information be more readily available in-game, but that's just me. I do have a dual-monitor setup on my main desktop machine, so it was really only a pain in the butt when I was playing on my laptop and had to alt-tab out to figure out what was up. I can only imagine someone with a single-monitor setup who isn't running in windowed mode might feel a similar frustration.

On the second point: When you consider I've also experienced the thrilling epic masterpiece that is Manos: Hands of Fate, you can see why I'd say Rocky Horror is at least an OK on the overall scale. hehehe.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 3:13PM Ocho said

Haha! Yes, Manos is truly epic. When putting it on THAT scale, I can see the 'OK'. (At least Rocky has the awesome Tim Curry to back it up) I've only seen Manos in the MST3K variety, but even then, its awfulness is legendary.

So... if you like those... you might like this link for MST3K (or now Rifftrax) Live movie goodness. You have to get tickets quick, though, for the 19th... they may be sold out wherever you are... but there is an "encore" on the 24th.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 3:23PM Krystalle Voecks said

I suppose this is where I get to note that in about two weeks, I'll be at Dragon*Con. I'm pretty sure they're slated as guests this year. ;)

Okay, nuff said, I'll get back on topic now!

Posted: Aug 20th 2010 6:33AM (Unverified) said

@Krystalle
If you are playing on a single monitor, you can use the in game browser, so you don't have to alt tab out all the time. The command is /browser.

Glad you enjoyed your game time. Hope you stick around and get to experience more that the game has to offer.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 12:58PM (Unverified) said

"Ultimately, that's really the single largest problem this game faces in my opinion: the horrendously negative PR it continues to get from people who feel that they were screwed out of their favorite game and haven't stopped beating the crap out of that horse since. "

Hurr durr...

Perhaps the SOE team should advertise their awesome product themselves if that was the root cause of all their troubles.

The issues SWG face now have less to do with disgruntled vets and far more to do with an inept dev team intent on adding in fairy wings instead of actual SW content. Old code that has simply had new code shovelled on top of it. Totally garbage combat mechanics, crap pve and absolutely no risk or decay system in the game.

It's fine if you are into RP, SW and twitch space and er RP, after that it offers zip for the rest of us which is why its in the state it is now.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 3:39PM RogueJedi86 said

In an interview DH did with one of TOR's Lead Concept Artists, he said when he worked on SWG he was the Lead Concept Artist because he was the ONLY concept artist. I hate to say it because I love SWG, but SWG's a sinking ship, with a skeleton crew. The reason they have so little content, with only fancy holiday things and no retail expansions and so much focus on the Card Game is because the game has too few devs to do anything. It's a shame too, because I remember when the NGE hit they said they'd keep doing retail expansions. Yet here we are, nearly 5 years later and not a single non-card game expansion despite the earlier promises. Too few devs to do any.

I love SWG, and it pains me to see it being strung along like this. There's been map and terrain files for Tanaab and Tralus in the game's files since launch, but we never got them as planets either. I love SWG and I had hoped it'd keep delivering expansion content on the level of RotW and ToOW for many years to come.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 12:59PM (Unverified) said

@brianna
it specifically states the game suffers from bad pr from former players.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 1:37PM Brianna Royce said

The article does state that, and it is true. What the article does not do is "blame former players for the current state of the game," which is what you claimed above.

Fair warning: trolling is against our commenting policy.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 2:28PM (Unverified) said

Brianna,

The game/company rightfully should suffer from it.

If everyone who was screwed over by a developer sh*ting on playbase turned a blind eye, SOE/Cryptic would be bigger than Blizzard & Bobby Kotick would be president.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 3:27PM Krystalle Voecks said

@Contact & @Suske: If you honestly think that hateful comments on the internet are hurting anyone other than the playerbase of SWG, I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. Neither LucasArts nor SOE have all their fiscal eggs in the SWG basket. If the game is shut down because enough players are driven away from trying it out, then what? Honestly? Will either company implode?

Think about it.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 6:31PM (Unverified) said

@Krystalle: I would go so far as to say that driving all the players away from SWG would do SOE a favour. I'd wager it's not turning a profit, but they're keeping it going anyways. Why? Only John Smedley could answer that, but I think we could all make an educated guess.

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 12:51AM Larry Everett said

@UTech

Actually, if you were to ask a developer at, say, SOE Fan Faire if the game was turning a profit -- which a I know people who did ask that exact question -- they would tell you that SWG is making money.

Is it a sinking ship? Maybe, but I still think it's going to take a long while before that actually happens. They still have several steps of reduction before they sunset the game.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 1:16PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@dril
a bad reputation is earned not given. blame for any/all problems this game has rests squarely with those who maintain it. NOT former players. or current players for that matter. as a consumer of goods and services our responsibility ends at forking over hard earned money. period.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM