Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:11AM Wisdomandlore said

I play games to relax. Herding cats, I mean leading a group, is often stressful, so I prefer to let someone else do it.

I used to lead more in FFXI, but that was because if you wanted to get something done at higher levels, you were better off putting a group together yourself rather than waiting for someone else too. I don't fondly remember the days of spending two hours putting together a group, or sending tells to every BRD and RDM in the level-range.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:16AM timthel0rd said

I'm first and foremost (the hell do you spell that?) a follower. I'd rather sit back and let other people take charge, my problem is that people are often too slow to decide what to do, so I find myself in charge often enough.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:17AM (Unverified) said

I'm absolutely no good at telling people what to do, and I feel very uncomfortable with it. I prefer to be told what to do, so I can focus on doing that one thing very well.

In WoW, whenever I was passed the leader privileges, I was always like "yeargh, get it off, get it off!"

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:18AM alinos said

I'm a pusher.

I don't really have the .. I want to say calmness but it seems wrong, to maintain order with a large bunch of people but at the same time i'm perfectly willing to knock some sense into people to get things moving

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:26AM (Unverified) said

Hmm, I'd say I'm the one who will take the lead if no one else will do so. Otherwise, if someone is leading and knows what they're doing I'll gladly follow.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:34AM (Unverified) said

well i am versatile, i like to be a leader, but i can also follow someone to do a good job although i prefer to lead a team, in WoW i used to lead teams into ulduar, and into the lich king, sadly ileft wow because too much drama from the guilds there.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:35AM Trippin said

i hate telling other people what to do in large groups, i loose track of what is going on cause im doing my own job good, and i tend to loose the mood to play when someone else screws up.

also i have to much "fun" to lead. i make to much stupid comments to be taken seriously. but a good leader gets my total respect and i do think if i practice a bit at it i might even be good at it. just need need to get rid of that dutch accent of mine :P

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:44AM Monkey D Luffy said

I'm whats needed. If i know more about something than others i will lead, if someone knows more than me i will follow.

I was a leader in FFXI most of the time cause i was always leveling a new Job so i taught the noobies and helped them out as long as they listened to me.

In WoW i will do what ever is necessary to get through what we are doing so i can get away from the annoying community.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:53AM ultimateq said

Whatever is needed at the time. If I feel the leader is doing fine, I'll follow. But a lot of times I sort of naturally take the lead in situations.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:04AM Beau Hindman said

Neither, most of the time. I'm a soloer. BUT, I do appreciate when someone takes the initiative to learn all the quests or to help guide the group a bit. I like that -- it's essentially roleplay and I am not going to knock someone that wants to play the leader.

Where it stops is when the person carries it to far. If they start cursing or yelling because we are losing a fight in a make-believe world, I leave the group. I don't have time to do with silliness like that.

I am rarely a leader because I do things like stop every 5 seconds to explore. Most people want to get to the monster, kill it and get the loot.

Beau

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:05AM Arkanaloth said

Most certainly NOT a leader here...

being a semi-decent group leader requires a fairly decent pool of situation knowledge as well as a particular set of inspirational people skills. I can do tactical analysis easy but I'm not good at molding tactical knowledge into a leadership role.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:05AM Pewpdaddy said

I prefer milder leading roles, parties, class lead, hell even officer at one point(regretted). The guild drama is just too much of a pain. If you get a toolbox in your group you just toss them. In the guild it isn't so easy. I prefer to leave politics to politicians and enjoy my game of choice.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:08AM McCool009 said

I consider myself a loner, and a follower if/when need arises. In rare instances where everything aligns though - where I've found a game I can really enjoy and sink my teeth into, have the experience and know how, and have found companions in-game that I like, I usually find myself naturally leading. Just out of a desire to enjoy the game together with them as much as possible. I've been really picky lately, though.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:11AM J Brad Hicks said

Depends on the situation, depends on which of two things I hate more at the time: do I hate standing around waiting for other people to make up their minds more, or do I hate recruiting people more? I don't mind being the one who makes decisions, but I hate the team recruiting mechanics in every MMO I've ever played except /maybe/ WAR.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:11AM Ocho said

I find myself mostly as a leader. I like being the guy who the group looks at to be the one in charge. However, I do NOT like running a guild. I take way too many breaks from a game to be useful in that capacity. So, I'm content to be a regular member, coming and going without much stress involved, but in a situation where it looks like everyone is just fiddling around, I usually take the reins to get everyone moving.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:16AM Aetrix said

I used to love to lead raids and manage my guild in WoW. I was good at it, too. It was worthwhile because I had an awesome team behind me and we'd always get things done. For years now, though, most anybody worth a damn has been leaving and all that is left playing these days are a bunch of unreliable immature kids. They made me hate being in charge so I eventually gave up the reins, and eventually quit playing the game altogether.

At this point in time I'm getting my pvp legs in EVE Online. It will be some time before I'm ready, but you can bet your hind end I'll be in the FC seat sooner or later.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:43AM (Unverified) said

When there is a leader (or someone who wants to lead), I'll follow.

Where there is no leader, I'll lead... if only to get the ball rolling and we can get off our asses and do something.

But I much prefer to just relax and follow... it's a lot less stressful. :p

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 12:06PM Darkdust said

This. So totally this.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:21AM Unverfied B said

Hate leading anything with passion, both in games and IRL.

I don't mind doing "middle-management" stuff in games (like an officer or director, with a totalitarian GM/CEO), where i get the overall direction of what should be done from above and making it happen, but i hate making big decisions myself.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:30AM Orvidos said

If I'm comfortable with the activity (raid, dungeon, PvP, what have you) I'm fine with leading. Happy, even, if it leads to less idiocy.

That said, if I find the opportunity to do something potentially stupid yet influential (like say, jump from a high place with some stupid stunt in mind) I will be the first lemming off the cliff.

One Shots: Grim Raider