Posted: Aug 17th 2010 4:13PM DarthDan said

Once again, SOE's customer service knocks it out of the ballpark which goes to show that their competitors should be giving us, the players, much better service. As seen through the detective's forays into EQ2 and now Vanguard, it shows that SOE cares very much for us the player and I'm very glad that our community detective is out there showing both the good and the bad. If SOE can give us fast, friendly, and personable service -- that just goes to show that anything less is simply unacceptable and it's obviously all about where the company puts customer service in their priorities.

Thanks, Detective, for letting us know there are good guys out there.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 4:38PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Darthdan, how long have you been employed by Sony?

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 4:59PM DarthDan said

@ Toony

I'm no SOE fanboy. What I am is very frustrated at the current state of customer service in MMOS abroad. Trust me, I have my issues with SOE when it comes to the gaming/development side, but that's not what we're talking about here. What we're talking about is customer service. And amazingly enough, in this category, SOE fracking shines.

Saying that customer service in MMOs needs reform is a gross understatement. For years, they've been getting away with giving us cold, subpar service and finally someone with a large audience is airing their dirty laundry and doing a great public service to us -- the players. As far as SOE customer service goes, they're proving my point that companies like Funcom, BiowareMythic, and Adventurine SA have no excuse for giving us poor customer service.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 4:30PM (Unverified) said

I so miss Vanguard, wish they'd adopt the free to play model for this like they are for EQ2. :(

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 5:35PM ed511df3 said

I honestly hope they go this route, rather than just shutting it down. The potential of a good game is still there, but it's just been so neglected from the start. The answer to a game having troubles isn't to fire most of the staff. It's to let them FIX the problems so they game can get better.

Can anyone imagine what it'd be like if Blizzard had the same attitude towards their dev staff as SoE had then?

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 5:49PM Dril said

It's this attitude that really pisses me off with Vanguard. Saying "I wish it went f2p" but just sitting idly by and letting it wither and die is doing nothing for the game. If you want to play, why not just subscribe? Even if you're an EU player the American server is active all the time, and the game is actually a really nice, refreshing change from the usual kill shit over here, or the sandbox PvP-fest. At the end of the day 10 quid isn't a lot of money, and if you get a good chunk of time from the various (and actually fairly deep) activities in Vanguard it's not bad is it?

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 4:34PM (Unverified) said

Nice report.

Vanguard is still installed on my machine, it is easily my favorite pve game. The only things holding me back from resubbing is a lack of pvp, and not wanting to give SOE my money due to how poorly they have managed the title.

Which is better, subbing to a game to tell a company you don't like "I want more games like this!" or not subbing because you don't want to give said company your cash...

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 4:58PM (Unverified) said

It is good to see that this game is at least holding it's own. I was the veritable 'fanboy' for this game and even won a signed copy of the game at the pre release 'fanguard' event in San Diego but was severely disappointed by the games many bugs that were present in beta and left in release. Add in the fact that I got to know many of the Sigil employees that were laid off in a parking lot and there is a bit of bittersweet for me and this game.

This almost makes me want to give it another go, though I would have to talk friends into coming along for the ride. Hopefully they treat Vanguard to the same F2P as they are trying with EQ2 and it will get more than a skeleton crew to be able to fix it up and even develop new content.

This was the last MMO I allowed myself to get 'hyped' about pre release and it a part of me will always have a longing to go back to it.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 5:03PM (Unverified) said

Biggest problem with PUGs in Vanguard is that its easy to find them... for certain quest lines. Hunter's League is a good example, everybody does it because the sweet rewards from it are leagues better than anything else available at those levels. Problem is, there are multiple PUGs farming the same few mobs! For such a huge world with so much content available, its pathetic that 2-3 PUGs are competing over a dozen or so rock turtle (I think, been awhile) spawns required for one part of the chain.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 5:15PM wjowski said

• 1 heart
Vanguard's problems are as so...

1)It started out broke from the get-go and some of it still doesn't work right to this day.

2)The main meat of the game, the combat, was boring and by-the-book when it wasn't screwing you over via bugs.

3)Crafting was unnecessarily convoluted and also riddled with bugs.

4)The most interesting part of the game, Diplomacy, was essentially left to wither in favor of the previously-mentioned bland combat and frustrating crafting.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 10:02AM (Unverified) said

I just started playing about a week ago, and I'm having a blast. There are a ton of people on the newbie isle asking all sorts of questions. The free trial is only 2 gigs, so at least check it out for yourself.