Posted: Aug 17th 2010 12:10PM Darkdust said

I believe you can subscribe to wikia.com and avoid the ads. I jeep meaning to do that...

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 1:08PM Jade Effect said

It's a little scary visiting some of these fan sites. The forums are often full of excited fans discussing all kinds of obscure lore and random story bits. As someone who doesn't really get into the whole Star Wars thing, it can feel quite overwhelming. Like, why are these people discussing about the color of light sabers and the crystals in them?

I hope ToR is accessible to people who doesn't follow Star Wars. Or more to the point, can the game provide a fun experience to people who aren't Star Wars fans? Some might say "Well, if you aren't a fan of Star Wars, why are you playing a Star Wars game?" Yeah, I suppose there's a point there. I was just hoping even non-Star Wars fans can get to enjoy a game based on Star Wars.

When I played Lord of the Ring Online, I felt lost. Sure, I watched the movies, but it basically compress a whole lot of stuff from the novels (and some parts in the movies aren't accurately recreated from the novels). Just about every player I met had read the novels and they could appreciate the nuances in the game world and quests. Unsurprisingly, I un-subscribed shortly after.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 2:06PM sandwiches said

I don't really get your comment. What are you asking exactly? Do you want the game to not have a whole lot of lore outside the game or what?

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 2:29PM keroko said

No, he just wants the game to be accessible to people who don't read every novel, comic and webpage in existence.

Which is exactly what Bioware has said as well. They want this game to be accessible to all the Star Wars fans, not just the hardcore ones. While I don't have any hard proof beyond their word (being that this game isn't out yet and all...) Bioware has said they write the story with that in mind. So to take your lightsaber crystal example, in the game itself that will most likely be explained to you.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 4:13PM sandwiches said

I know he said 'accessible.' What does he mean by that? You don't have to know anything about the lore in LoTRO, yet he claims he didn't subscribe for very long as he didn't know much about the LoTR books. LoTRO is an extremely accessible game. So, again, if LoTRO didn't feel accessible to him, what does he mean by 'accessible?'

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 2:26PM IveDefected said

I cant believe you guys didnt mention Darth Hater (www.darthhater.com)

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 2:28PM IveDefected said

nevermind i can has reading?

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:13PM (Unverified) said

No mention of ask a jedi? One of the better ones out there imo...

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 4:30PM aistee said

No mention of http://www.swtorstrategies.com? As far as I know. It is the biggest SW:TOR blog, or at least the oldest.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 4:51PM (Unverified) said

Wow! Thanks for the mention. It's funny, after spending years making Star Wars gaming fansites (galacticbattles.com, SWGalaxies.net, Empireatwar.net) I wasn't going to do one for SWTOR - but arriving a bit late last year, we did.

And as for being posh? PAH! lol. We've lots of special stuff coming up this year and prior to launch, thanks to our friends at LucasArts. Feel free to join us!

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 11:33AM Matt fo diggity said

Hey, hey! Thanks for the kind words! Just to get it out there, our full gaggle over at TOROcast includes: Samm, Musco, Brandon, Kyle P, TalN, Kimiko, and me. Please come on by and say hello.

Thanks again!

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 8:34PM (Unverified) said

Torocast is one of my favorite podcast to listen too. I've recently been given a news writing position for there site and I can say I am genuinely excited. I've freelanced for multiple gaming sites like G4, TheGamersHub, Explicit Gamer, and none of them have that feeling of being a friendly place like torocast does. For those of you who have been following this game since it was a reference rumored paragraph in a gameinformer article you must register for the torocast site! You are missing a lot of information if you don't also missing the chance to become part of a great community!