Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:24PM DarthDan said

Very informative article. The marks you give it for actually being a 'relaxing' PvP game actually sounds very appealing.

While the name probably adds to the 'fun' atmosphere and feel, something as seemingly silly as 'World of Tanks' however may discourage the World War II and Cold War armor aficionados from giving the game so much as a second glance.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:27PM (Unverified) said

ANd they will return anyway once the devs release the europe-conquest feature, clan-countries and hysterical scenarios..

The game will get a lot more serious :P

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:28PM (Unverified) said

correction: historical scenarios.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:25PM wcanyon said

I agree with this review. Fun, easy to pick up game that will likely have more depth in the future.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:31PM (Unverified) said

Is there 1st "person" view from inside the tank like in Bad Company 2 for example?

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:49PM wcanyon said

First person from the gunner's perspective.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:55PM (Unverified) said

Yes, as if you were looking into the spyglass to aim the turret.

There is also a top-down-map-view for artilery. Aiming is realy awesome.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:31PM SocksForYou said

I've heard nothing but positive stuff from people in the beta. I might have this wrong, but supposedly there are plans to add animated crewmen to the tanks?

Would be a nice detail to have for realism/immersion.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 7:14AM Patrick Mackey said

Right now, crew are just little portraits with skill percentages. I'm not sure if they'll actually show the crew walking around at any point, it didn't seem like one of the things the team was focused on. There was some other interview we did where the producer or something was like "no way, this is about the tank, not imperfect humans" or something like that. It was pretty lolz, but yeah, don't think there's much focus on the human aspect of WoT.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:53PM Renko said

I really didn't like the sound of this game from the first few articles but I've been pleasantly surprised in the closed beta. It's a very fun game in it's present state which bodes well for the future as more features are added.

Leaving the recruit battles though and encountering tanks I couldn't even dent was a shock. Currently I spend most of my time in my tier 2 tank back in the recruit battles and transfer experience to my lumbering coffin of a tier 6. One day I will get my Panther!

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 5:32PM (Unverified) said

at what rate can you transfer experience? i did it once but don't remember... didn't seem like it was worth much from tank to tank.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 7:57PM Renko said

It costs 2 gold to transfer 100 experience.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 4:12PM Celicynd said

I can see the in-game chat now:

Joe: LF1M - DPS or Healer
Bob: I can bring a Tank
Joe: Really need a DPS or Healer
Eve: I can bring a Tank
Joe: /sigh

:p just being silly.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 5:33PM (Unverified) said

I LIKE this game (seriously), but the grind to go from a PzIII Light to a PzIII Medium to a PzIII/IV Medium, to a ... is just painful. As soon as you graduate to the PzIII you're up against King Tigers and IS3s, gah! So all the PzIII drivers just put it in road gear and charge across the enemy front providing "radio" targets to their team's artillery. Bleh. Or if you do get sneaky with your light tank and go for some rear shots on heavier tanks, the wankers just ram you and disable you.
No, really, I do like this game, but it is frustrating as hell at this point. I don't think everyone should be in the same level of tank, but ffs, lighten up on the grind for upgrades.

Posted: Aug 28th 2010 6:02PM (Unverified) said

Totally different playing styles. In the Recruit battles, everybody is scout and skirmisher, unless you're in arty (and I saw some of those in melee too). When you graduate to the PzKfw III Ausf A, you'll be up against T-34's, Tigers, the works. You're a scout. Period. You might damage light arty, and other light tanks, but you can't take a hit from a medium or heavy. Keep moving, hope to live through the battle. It's a grind, especially if you die early and get less than 100 xp per battle, but it's worth it. The PzKfw III is much better. It's still fast enough to act as a scout, but can at least damage mediums. More grinding. I went to the PzKfw IV next, a pure skirmisher which leads to the tiger line, and I was killing heavies. It's a nice medium tank. Unfortunately I was not able to try the heavier models before that stage of the beta ended. In the next phase, I will. Oh, I will..

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 4:37PM (Unverified) said

This is a really really good game got me a king tiger its a blast.totally recommend this game

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 5:42PM (Unverified) said

So far, the game has blown me away. It's fresh and unique, moves fairly fast in all aspects, and has a rewarding grind.

I've played enough that I've researched (but don't have the money for) a Tiger and KV-3 on the Soviet side. Once you get to these tanks, you're in for a much more enjoyable ride.

However, even the big boys aren't hard to take out if your team is working well.

The tanks in the closed beta are limited to German and Soviet (with a few British tanks and the US M3 Stuart available for gold), but will expand to include US, British, Italian, French and Japanese tanks on launch.

Many of the tanks in the game were never actually put into service. For the Germans, tanks like the VK3001 and the VK3601 were prototypes, which eventually lead to the Tiger.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 5:26PM (Unverified) said

I was interested all the way until "premium ammo". Shooting money at a tank? Pass.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 5:51PM (Unverified) said

I'm really enjoying the closed beta and find the game fantastic. However, I have to agree with Joakal on the issue of the premium ammo.

If the use of premium ammo becomes standard in the clan/campaign battles then I'll have serious reservations about continuing with the game.

I'll be curious to see what the final conversion rate for $US to gold is. Currently they are giving us 150g a day with a premium account priced at 250g per 24 hours. Most the premium ammo I've bothered to look at is around 5g per round and I could easily go through a whole days worth (30 rounds) in 4 or 5 battles.

If they do the pricing so that $5-10 keeps even heavy users in premium ammo for a month I'll think about it, but otherwise I think it will be the end of the road for me.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 12:20AM Patrick Mackey said

Quick note on premium ammo.

In general, premium ammo isn't needed in most tank classes. It's REALLY nice for tier 3 tanks shooting at tougher tanks, especially the Panzer III. However, I'll be honest - premium ammo isn't as important as skill for playing a light tank. In my T-46, I could shoot premium bullets and hurt even a King Tiger, but it would do like, maybe 8% of his HP and one shot from his gun would do all/almost all of mine. I could just shoot HE rounds at the King Tiger to try and disable subsystems like tracks or turrets, and spot for ally tanks. If the King Tiger can only see me, but my allies can all see the King Tiger, I can just evade like a madman and spam rounds in the hopes of getting a lucky shot, while he has to kill me or my buddies will snipe him.

I used premium rounds a little bit, and they're a little less impressive than I'd originally thought. They can be good to fight against medium tank frontal armor as a light tank, but honestly you should be flanking that T34 anyway.