Posted: Aug 17th 2010 5:47PM Dumac said

This is the saddest thing ive read on Massively. Sad in the tragic kind that touches your heart.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 5:56PM Graill440 said

......."Sniff"..........."cry".........*hugs Dumac*.........."sobsobsob"......

.....Do you work out?.....

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 6:12PM (Unverified) said

I hope someone can take the combat machanics TCoS had and bring them back to life in a different game that will bring more players then TCoS did.

\o so long ToCS!

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 6:21PM ed511df3 said

I didn't play it much, but when I did, I enjoyed it. This game was just doomed from the beginning. Not because it was a bad game, but because there was just too many boneheads screwing around in management.

I kinda hope someone buys it and re-releases it. No game should die forever just because it was mismanaged. They should only die if they're genuinely bad games.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 7:28PM dudes said

So long, Spellborn. It was not meant to be but you have a page in MMO history books at least. Au revoir.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 7:42PM Saylah said

Not being cruel, but this is what happens when gamers insist on saying they want innovation. I don't think they really do. If we look at the few MMO titles that have really stepped outside the box, they've all closed their doors due to insufficient subscribers. Food for thought.

I want fun, entertainment, good graphics, quest diversity, decent crafting, some level of PVP and interesting back-story, none of which necessitates innovation.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:16PM Darkdust said

Yes, all MMORPGs that do something different are doomed. Doomed!

EVE will just have to shut down now, I suppose.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:35PM (Unverified) said

I think people probably do want innovation. But I think they want a well-made and polished product first and foremost. Unfortunately, innovation often comes at the expense of polish, unless you are a company like Blizzard, who can reiterate on their designs until they are up to scratch.

I never played TCoS though, so I don't know whether a lack of polish was part of the problem.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:49PM Kaoss said

This game was probably the best MMO I had played at that point in time. It wasn't that there wasn't enough subs that screwed the game, it was the fact that 0 people knew about it on launch, so there were no subs and then they made it f2p and ditched

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 7:43PM Saylah said

P.S. and an nice set of classes to play through because hopefully, the game is fun enough to roll more than one.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 7:56AM SkuzBukit said

I enjoyed trying out the game, only thing that killed the fun was the terrible lag.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 10:20AM Saylah said

EVE stands apart for several reasons, including that it's sci-fi PVP. Now look at the fantasy MMOs that came out and tried something very different in the past couple of years, and I don't think a single one is still live. Afterward, you see people saying, "Oh was great game too bad more people didn't play..."

IMO people don't want more WOW exactly, but they want something awful close. It's sad and chilling truth from where I sit.

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 1:21AM (Unverified) said

Actually, the game isn't gone forever!
Frogster(the same company that made Runes of Magic) is picking it up sometime next year and they're going to do their own thing with it. :)

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 2:34AM elliotrock said

Cody, I had heard that this was in discussion atm but what is your source?

Posted: Aug 19th 2010 9:49AM (Unverified) said

I think people are referring to some old article about Frogster wanting to redevelop Spellborn. That news was published right after we were told that Spellborn BV (the developer) went bancrupt, and a few days/weeks after that, the Frogster servers went offline. So "next year" would be this year.

The last official news is that Frogster Asia (which was working on the F2P version) couldn't come to an agreement with Spellborn NV (the rights holder), stopped the work on the new version and layed off all the people that were working on it.

Betawatch: November 15 - 21, 2014

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 8:00PM

The Stream Team: No more Landmark tour deaths!

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 3:00PM