Posted: Aug 17th 2010 6:46PM (Unverified) said

With Blizzard charging $80 for this it's hard to imagine a digital-only version being more profitable unless they really gouge on the price. All the junk in the CE probably costs them

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:34PM (Unverified) said

@PeterD

This would hinge on Blizzard actually getting the majority of the $80 price tag on boxes.

They don't. They don't even see half of it.

Selling digital copies is extremely profitable for developers, as they still get the standard shelf box price in most cases, but they don't lose half of it to retail shelf markup as they do with boxes.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 6:47PM (Unverified) said

That's weird, where'd my last sentence go?

Anyway, that should say:

"costs them less than $5 to manufacture and they get to tack $40 onto the price.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:17PM (Unverified) said

well I'm afraid that's how it always goes with CEs. Blizzard certainly isn't the first company doing so

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 2:43AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

I bet you wrote "costs them [Less than symbol]"

That will terminate your sentance, this web site's commenting system is pretty borked. ;)

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 7:08PM (Unverified) said

Sounds like a pretty boring collectors edition to me. Especially for that price. Come on blizzard, you make millions each year. You can atleast make a decent CE. Ie fallout. Those collectors editions are super cool.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 7:14PM Tsuyin said

Boring? Maybe but it fits with all the other CEs they have done. No reason to change the formula.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 7:18PM Gishboy said

My biggest upset with this is the fact that Lil' Deathwing looks so similar to Frost from the WotLK CE :(

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:08PM PWRWarTG said

Don't see how they're boring...

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:40PM NekoDaimyo said

@Gishboy
Lil' Deathwing looking like a recolored Frosty was an error. The preview/announcement page has been updated with the correct image. Also, you can see a video of the model here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ovDeDptf20

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 7:27PM dudes said

Yoink. If only they had given a release date too.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:09PM (Unverified) said

Now that the box art and CE edition has been revealed i can't imagine the xpac is to far off. Anyone remember how long it was from when WotLK art was leaked/revealed 2 years ago?

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:18PM (Unverified) said

Ok, after doing a quick google search i found that the WotLK box art was leaked in July 08 which would put the time between that and launch was 4 months. Using the same math it would be around xmas for Cata, meh. More interesting though WotLK CE was announced mid September 2008, Two months before WotLK launched.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:44PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I won't be buying CAT until I hit 80 with my current toon. *** u Blzzard. You are not taking my coin that quickly. Keep taking my monthly fee (paper route) money until Obama takes that over!

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 12:07AM jimr9999us said

Say what you will about WoW's LasVegas game mechanics, their ce's are awesome to behold and a value compared to other games' ce's as well.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 12:57AM timthel0rd said

Yay no digital!

You keep being like that Blizzard. SOMEDAY something will come along and kick your ass.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 2:52AM (Unverified) said

How exactly were you planning to download a 176-page art book, a Deathwing mouse pad, and World of Warcraft TCG cards?

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 3:31AM (Unverified) said

God forbid you would include the price or a link to the actual announcement in the article, Mashable.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 6:50AM anduz said

I may come off as old and grumpy, and I guess I am, but I remember when collectors editions were actually collectors edition with useful cool items and not just a heap of junk you'll end up throwing out because it's ugly too.

I preordered the original wow collectors edition because a Danish webstore mistakenly priced it the same as the regular version, and thanks to Danish law they can't just add money to your order after it's been processed. But really, the only thing that wasn't a massive disappointment was the 3 in game pets, and paying 80$ for that is silly. :p

Having played eve-online for several years I have to admit I think Blizzard are a tad zealous in their greed. Eve-online has shelled out more than 12 expansions, and none of them have cost a dime and this is from a developer with around 300.000 subscribers.

Of course it's a matter of personal choice, but I'll laugh secretly at anyone silly enough to shell out 50$ for a little ingame pet, a crappy artbook and a mousepad. :p

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 10:06AM (Unverified) said

A 176 page artbook is far from 'crappy'. Blizzard employs some of the best artists in the industry, and $50 is generous for a hardcover book collecting the best of 2 years worth of illustration and design. Worth the $80 just for the game and the book.

Then again, some people have no appreciation for great artwork.