Posted: Aug 16th 2010 8:11PM Rollins said

I question whether anyone would pay the $13/mo (or whatever they're charging) to play this when private servers have become as large and as public as they have.

The best thing they could do for UO is mark it down to $5/mo. It's nearly thirteen frickin' years old, it's about time for a price drop.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 8:18PM wcanyon said

People pay more than $10/mo to play UO? WTF.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 8:13PM (Unverified) said

It will never happen.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 9:16PM ed511df3 said

My question is, do they actually have anyone on staff that knows what a classic shard should look like? And just how classic will it be? No expansions, T2A, Ren? Is there actually still code and data from that time to look at, or will it just be a mashup of what people -think- a classic shard should look like? If that's the case, what's the point in playing it if free shards are already doing that?

I really don't see this going anywhere good. As nice an idea as this might be on paper, I think the ship for this sailed a long time ago. Better to just retire the game and release what code/data they have to the public while concentrating their efforts on a new game.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 9:54PM (Unverified) said

If they build it, I will sub.

Really tho, so much of the game back then was learning the game mechanics. I wonder how much fun it would be without the discovery of when UO originally launched.

I tell people all the time how awesome pre-tram UO was, so if they made it I would have to put my money where my mouth is and resub.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 10:03PM (Unverified) said

they most likely have back up images of every patch and state of the game (or something similar). The main "risk" is whether or not investing the money to put a shard online will generate revenue.

If they do decide to create a classic shard, they should definitely re-think their pricing or pay model. Perhaps the game is free (meaning the account key), but it costs 5-8$ a month to play. A very small hardcore retro crowd would pay $13-$15 a month, but I doubt it would last long or be profitable.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 6:49AM ColRoofles said

> The main "risk" is whether or not investing the money to put a shard online will
> generate revenue.

Free shards. Considering the fact that a kid can run the whole thing from his mom's basement and pay for the costing fees with his lunch money, I don't think that hosting a classic server should be that big of a deal for a huge company like EA. Then again, it is EA...

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 10:20PM (Unverified) said

The only way it will be viable to actually get the community they're after is by adopting the new "classic" server as F2P and adding the ability to buy skill gain increase type items, and maybe things to protect reds from stat-loss. That alone would revitalize the entire game.

If they continue to push there subscription model for a classic server it will fail due to the simple fact there are countless emulated servers that can produce the experience just as well.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 1:54AM pcgneurotic said

/agree. When it says they're trying to "determine the appropriate business model", you have to think they're all going 'F2P? Hmm...'

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:55AM (Unverified) said

1000's of people play on the private shard I am on for this very reason. There is still a market for classic UO. They even collect rares on the private server. This server has been around for over 4 years, and it is still strong.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 11:54PM Bhima said

How about they just work on a UO2 instead of going backwards. Since this IP has proven to stand the test of time, maybe they can reboot the franchise a bit, sorta like a Chris Nolan to the original Tim Burton Batman movies.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:56AM Ocho said

As a big fan of the Ultima series, having played and completed pretty much all of them, I tried UO when it first came out, but was too young to really appreciate it at the time, and quit very shortly after starting.

However, if they make a UO2, I'll drop what I'm doing to play that. What I wouldn't give to walk through Britain, Trinsic, Moonglow or Minoc in a graphically up to date world.

To get my Ultima fix now, I don't play UO, I just replay Ultima VII - Ultima IX. :)

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:20AM (Unverified) said

I will sub if they build it for sure.. that would be awesome!

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 8:59AM Pasha said

Free to play mode + classic server, please. Times changed: players grew up and ready to pay to save their time for job or other MMOs.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 9:24AM wjowski said

• 1 heart
It won't last even if they do go through with it.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 11:19AM clik said

What I wouldn't do to see this game re-done on a new engine with todays textures and animaiton. They would have to keep it isometric, and stick to the old formula for me to play it. If it were some 3d game that was pve'd out with a bunch of treadmills I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole and blame it on you guys though.

Sigh....

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 12:50PM (Unverified) said

do it do it do it. Don't care how, just give me the last build before trammel and see where it goes

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:19PM MewmewGrrl said

"It [a classic shard] needs to draw, along with the hype, an audience truly interested in understanding that before there were games on rails, there was a game built on skill and the thrill of a game with consequence."

Yeah - consequences to the poor miners who just wanted to get some ore for their craft. Consequences for the poor player who started later than the rest or couldn't log on as much, to lose their entire inventory, everything carried or worn to some laughing pker. There was no skill involved. Those with built up characters still instantly kill those who are newer. Forget trying to do anything alone unless you just like to give away your stuff to pkers. How "thrilling" indeed.

But anyway, go for it, at least it will be all people who actually want to do it this time, rather than just everybody who wants to play one of the few MMOs out there being forced into the situation and you telling them "Too bad - if you don't like it find another game, oh yeah, we're the only game in town" when they beg you to change.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 7:41PM Nintendesert said

Someone is a sad panda for getting PK'd too much.

Posted: Sep 27th 2010 9:38PM (Unverified) said

I'm in.

FYI, what finally made me quit was after trying out a player-run private server, I used my actual Origin login/pass like a tard, and the next day the private server a-holes logged into my paid subscription account and ganked everything I owned from my banks and houses (castles, tower deeds, dozens of pre-patched vanquish weapons, millions of gold, unlimited reagants).. I don't mind getting ganked fair n square (or even having my houses looted from moongate/chest bugs), but when my account was hacked, I quit shortly after.
I actually was watching them do it, because we kept booting each other out when I'd log back in and so forth.

I felt so horrible, but really I needed a push to quit.. UO was dominating my life and it wasn't healthy. It was like crack, and here I am still wanting my fix!

-WG on Chessy 1997/98 pre-tram