Posted: Aug 16th 2010 3:20PM Celestian said

"and mention was made of "hard core" and "corpse run" servers, which drew a large round of applause from the assembled audience."

It never ceases to amaze me at people are so willing to abuse themselves.

The part you left out is that they said following the "corpse run" comments that they wanted to bring back "positive memories" so I seriously doubt you'll see this kind of mechanic.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 3:35PM Jef Reahard said

Well they didn't specify what "positive" means, as it's probably different depending on who you talk to. As hard as it is to believe, some people dug corpse runs and the like.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 7:31PM wjowski said

I can't wait for the 'Asshole Druid/Wizard Constantly Trains You' server.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 3:22PM Cendres said

Did you say flying mounts??? *gasp* and *squee*! I wonder how accessible they will be in the free version. But it is pretty amazing news for the game at large, it certainly was a requested feature if I remember right.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 3:30PM Jef Reahard said

Yeah it's official, you can see one at the end of the trailer they released last week. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-everquest-ii/702690

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 3:56PM Celestian said

No, he didn't come out and specifically say "corpse runs are not positive so we'll not have that" but they said that right after the corpse run comments. It's not hard to make the leap.

Sure, some people like corpse runs... Those same folks had the chance to play a game with that a while ago... was called Vanguard. We all know how that went over.

People will not put up with such nonsense these days. There are way to many options to actually PLAY. Even EQ1 has done away with it at this point.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 7:56PM (Unverified) said

It wasn't corpse runs that made Vanguard unpopular at release as much as it was all the bugs and 'unfinished' product. Vanguard was a good concept with poor implementation due to a variety of things that happened during development.

I don't mind corpse runs, it gives death a new fear and creates a challenge that many current MMOs lack altogether. When death is just a debuff then you might as well not even have it just stack debuffs and keep going....

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 4:00PM DarthDan said

I liked the points you made in the 'A couple of concerns' section, particularly the mixed signals being sent to veterans and newcomers. It will also be interesting to see how three live versions of this intellectual property will play out, and hopefully not against one another. As you say, no one wants to see worlds they love shut down, but it does create a triple fork in the road for fans of the series that can't play more than one title at a time.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 4:23PM GRT said

Nothing about the GU that's going live tomorrow? It's great worrying about February expansions and all but I'd love to know what I have to look forward to tomorrow.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 5:07PM (Unverified) said

Reducing the number of classes is actually a a good thing. Why? Because the problem with having 24 classes in EQ2 is they're already specialized. There is no way to really specialize them further through AA. So you have two options. Use a cookie cutter spec and be good at your class, or use a different spec and be medicore. There is no point speccing a wizard for aoe damage, because that's what warlocks are for, and vice versa with dd's.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 5:08PM pcgneurotic said

I imagine Antonica wouldn't be too hard to convert to a free-fly zone - maybe a few mountaintops and so on. Real question would be integrating Qeynos into it I guess.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 5:11PM (Unverified) said

Oh, and flying mounts will work in all zones, but the zones themselves will still work the same way.
In other words, they'll have a limit on how high you can fly, and you'll need to land (or fly really low) to change zones. The flying mount can also double as a land mount.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 7:59AM GreenArmadillo said

Maybe I say this because I'm a Fae Dirge with more than 75% runspeed and perma featherfall, but I don't really get the point of flying mounts. It doesn't sound like there's going to be special content that can only be completed from the air. It doesn't sound like they're going to be doing any more than the minimum to revamp the old world stuff in consideration of the fact that geography and mobs are now no longer a barrier to players dropping out of sky to land on a quest target and then departing equally quickly.

All of which would be fine if this was something that someone was going to code in an hour. As a major feature of an expansion, though, and one that will almost certainly require more time for the geography revision past than SOE is saying, I just don't see what the benefit of this feature is. Is there anyone who is going to subscribe to EQ2 (or who was going to cancel until this announcement) just because of this feature?

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:35PM (Unverified) said

There was certainly a edge of the seat immersion that was awesome in EQ, few games out there that I have played since EQ have recreated the same excitement of EQ. I know some of you would say go back and play it. I have tried, having experienced what newer graphic engines and designs can do for gaming, I cant get past the graphics and the cumbersome game controls of EQ.
NOW EQNext, I have this feeling that with the millions of people who now have experienced gaming in easy - medium mode many players will relish a game that is more of a challenge. In the years since EQ was created I can hope and possibly believe with a old school experience working on the project, that EQ can create a better vision of what an exciting and immersive game should be.

Distinctive Class flavor and specialization, diverisity of gaming options is a must. Please make it so there is more then one way to specialize and still be a valid gamer.
Make the game with enough challenge that players create the same great communties of EQ and EQ2 maybe bring back some options for player to player buffs or crafted items.
I think EQ and EQ2 have good player to mob balance keep it close to the same.
Graphics and game art improved over both games EQ and EQ2.
Keep Heritage and signature quests.
Keep the EQ2 game play categories, Mob Conquest, Exploration and Crafting and or make them better.
Make the game so that adding races and classes from future expansions is easier.
Just a few things that I would like to see in EQnext

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014