Posted: Aug 16th 2010 3:31PM (Unverified) said

"Thank you all for both the support and the kicks in the ass that have pushed me to constantly evaluate and grow"

Hopefully, that means after "evaluating" his worthless contributions as a "game developer", he's realized he belongs in the "growing" industry of janitorial services.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 3:41PM Lilpwny said

Gonna have to agree with #7- Cryptic is only going to improve from here on out.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 3:40PM Psychotic Storm said

• 1 heart
Ok I get the hate you have for roper, ypu had it before CO even existed, but since when is CO sinking?

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 4:30PM Keen and Graev said

It's been sinking since beta.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 7:22PM Psychotic Storm said

• 1 heart
I disagree.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 7:51PM CCon99 said

I think STO is in more trouble then CO is, which would explain their desperation in putting constant C-Store updates up so they can pad those monthly sales numbers. With CO and STO's single server setup, you have to keep in mind that an entire region plays on that single server, unlike other MMO's where an entire region is split up on 6-10 servers (unless you're WoW). So when a single server setup feels like it's a ghost town like both STO and CO do, you know they're in trouble of "sinking".

Roper definitely wasn't all of Cryptic's problems, but I'll bet he was a large part of them forcing microtransactions on top of a subscription based game. Before CO launched, Jack Emmert was one of the more outspoken people in the industry against microtransactions. Then they hired Roper, who then likely got in the ear of desperate and close to bankrupt every other Wednesday Atari, telling them how much more they can make by nickel & diming their customers. In the end they just end up nickel & diming their loyal fanboy minority, as the majority of players who purchased their games at launch, are long departed before the first 6-8 weeks have gone by. Craig and Roper won't be the last people fir....sorry "departing" the SS Cryptic.

But fear not, NWN will be fully launched in under 10 months total deveopment! Just expect the Orc's to look a lot like Tellerites and Elves will still accidentally have the "live long and prosper" emote hard coded into them.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:06AM Psychotic Storm said

Like it or not, CO doesn't feel like a ghost town, granted I don't play too often, but it doesn't have to do with the game, but with my limited free time.

I doubt it is coincidence I find it filled each time I log in and I do it randomly.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:16AM CCon99 said

The game used to have 60-70 instances of MC going during primetime, now they have 2-5. Your instance might feel full with 80 people in it, but that server represents the entire North American or EU player base. 60-70 instances down to 3-5 is a HUGE difference.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 12:05PM Psychotic Storm said

beyond the first few weeks that the servers capped at 20-40 people by a bug and every location had really many servers I can't remember CO have lots of subservers for each instance.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 3:42PM karnisov said

still not going to touch the NWN mmo with a 10 ft pole. i think cryptic's problems go far deeper than just Mr R.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 3:47PM IveDefected said

you mean , like their inability to understand what makes a game engaging or fun?

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 3:56PM Verus said

Cryptic is making the Neverwinter Nights mmo ?

the H O R R O R

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 4:15PM (Unverified) said

I am pretty sure everyone, including myself is glad to see that guy gone.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 4:15PM dudes said

Oh oh. Detect Cryptic troubles. Games going F2P soon?

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 4:33PM Its Utakata stupid said

As much as I detest most F2P models...this will be better than the current model they're using, which is P2P with MT's.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 5:11PM ed511df3 said

I wouldn't be surprised. I wouldn't even be surprised at them going F2P if he had stayed, really. Cryptic is pushing more and more content to their store, and with their games so instanced, it wouldn't be hard at all to charge for new areas and such, much like DDO does. STO honestly felt, to me, that it was being built with a change to F2P in mind. It's as if they decided to try out a sub model, but decided to have all of the architecture in place for a quick switchover to F2P in case the subs just didn't come in like they wanted.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 4:42PM Mr Angry said

Boom, headshot!

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 5:20PM (Unverified) said

as much as Roper needed to go, i'd rather see such games depart insteada people involved with them. STO and CO are both parodies of MMOs

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 5:38PM (Unverified) said

Now they just need to loose Jack Emmert, and then their games might start getting good.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 6:08PM PWG said

Good bye!!!

Bill Roper is like a cursed man. he brought down hellgate london, now he's brought down cryptic.

I feel bad for the Roper, but damn man, when both of your babies flop. it's really time to rethink how you make video games.