Posted: Aug 15th 2010 12:29PM (Unverified) said

I found it rather mind-destroying, to see on your display that you needed to mine over a thousand rocks.

That really killed me. Now, I like these sorts of games, and ATITD in general, but having another grindfest is too much for my poor fingers.

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 2:23PM (Unverified) said

Is it a 24 hour trial and then to continue playing 13.95 a month or can you still have 'f2p' with it?

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 3:47PM EvEisCool said

24 hours in game and then you have to pay $14/month to continue playing at all. However with this tale teppy is accepting 150 bitcoins/month of play.

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 3:51PM (Unverified) said

What are bitcoins and how hard are they to achieve?

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 11:58PM Tom L said

Bitcoins are a digital currency. check out www.bitcoin.org for details and to d/l the client.

Ta,

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 4:50PM Nephilim said

Just downloaded Alganon.

Which faction are you on Beau? Unless, it doesn't matter.

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 5:13PM Nephilim said

Just did my first group quest.. level 4 named mob. He did 236,145,152 damage to me. I only have 100 HP..

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 5:16PM Beau Hindman said

My name is Beaugh on Adrios, I am on the Asharr side. :)

Yeh, you will find some bugs, but not many mess with your gameplay. The game actually runs and looks really tight. :)

Beau

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 5:38PM (Unverified) said

An all-crafting, non-combat MMO is an interesting concept with a lot of potential. In some ways ATITD lives up to what you expect, but it definitely falls short in others.

The worst offenders are the controls and interface. A good deal of the UI is presented through a series of awkward pop-up menus that are not particularly easy to interact with. Moving with the arrow keys does not work when the chat box is open, which is a real pain. Menus apparently have hotkeys embedded within them, but I couldn't figure out how to get them to work - for example, it said to press P to plane wood into a board, but pressing P did nothing. I just ended up clicking on the menu option to plane the wood.

With some real love given to those areas, I think the game would be quite solid. The crafting system has an interesting variety - you are required to do things like leave grass out in the sun to dry into straw (this entails collecting the grass and dropping it on the ground for a while to dry). There are a ton of different crafting skills to be learned from Universities for a fee of related goods.

Progression is atypically done through several lines of tests that may require you to build things, perform some actions with other people, identify plant species, and a variety of other things. I actually rather like this - especially in a crafting game, it's more interesting to do these tests than just grind up skill points in whatever profession.

It seems like being part of a community would be a big part of making this game really fun. I didn't get to do that during the week unfortunately, but I can definitely see the potential there. I did not have the same problem as Beau though - there were plenty of people near my starting area, both in terms of offline players that had left structures and online players that were working near me.

Will it stay on my hard drive? For the time being. I really don't foresee myself paying a subscription fee to play this however. It was fun, but I'm not THAT into it.

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 7:32PM Bhagpuss said

Tobold has been running a very relevant day-to-day account of his newbie experience in A Tale in the Desert this week. I'm deeply suspicious of the motivations of the people running ATITD so it's not even going on my hard drive, much less staying there.

I also have strong reservations about Alganon so I'll skip that one too. I actually quite liked it in beta, although it was extremely buggy, and I don't doubt it has improved, but that doesn't mean I'd be comfortable playing it. I'm not ruling it out altogether, but so far it just doesn't feel right.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 11:42AM fauxcivility said

Is there, um, some sort of conspiracy?

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 9:25PM Jeromai said

The interface does take some getting used to. Hotkeys and movement with arrow keys only work with chat minimized, so you have to close chat by hitting Enter.

Strangely enough, you can set your chat interface to "have chat channels appear while minimized" so that you can use hotkeys while being able to read the chat window - something I did not realize myself until this Telling, after overhearing people advising each other on regional chat.

Specifically to Branclem, you need to have your mouse cursor over the wood plane, while pressing P, and 'chat minimized' in order to get that cranky machine working.

To Beau, going by your screenshots, you've set up in the western desert of Celaeno. This Telling, it is fairly quiet except for a hardcore guild by name of Followers of Anubis, who are out to turn it into a research hub that everyone else must travel to for technologies. Most people settle along the Nile river.

To meet more people, one would have to run eastwards toward the Nile into the region of Sterope. As Bhagpuss mentioned, Tobold of blogspot fame has found himself ensconced into a small community there, and there are also a number of other vets in Sterope. Northwards from Sterope, is Aicyone, then Taygete, both regions with a fair-sized population.

If you find yourself in Sinai or Maia or Celaeno, it will be comparatively quiet. Ditto Merope, though a group of vets have set up the Garden of Eden guild there and might be positively inclined to take in and give newbies advice.

Personally, I love ATITD for being the only crafting game I've encountered that doesn't rely on random dice rolls and progress bar increments. Whatever you do, nets you a resource. Whatever you do well, nets you more and better quality resources. The social experiment aspects of it are another side to it entirely, which Tobold's been covering pretty well at:

tobolds.blogspot.com

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM