Posted: Aug 14th 2010 4:17PM Firebreak said

If they did that I would buy it as soon as I could. Mmmmm Skaven. I was so disappointed that they were not included the game at launch, which goes along with my disappointment about only having two factions. I really enjoyed the game and the gameplay so that idea would be an easy pick up for me.

Though I am betting they are reading this and thinking why didn't we think of this 2 years ago.

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 4:41PM Deadalon said

Well

News are in - They are adding 20 RWN levels and some scaven mobs...

And the op when through all this work for that.

The biggest news is that there is NO EXPANSION every 2 year plan like most MMOs are doing. Instead they want to allow players to "customize" their playing experince. Well... I guess that means that ppl can choose if htey want to be killed by an Destro or Order level 100 RWN ppl....

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 6:55PM Firebreak said

Thanks for the link man, I am caustiously optomistic. I mean something with Skaven is coming which is good but that was a really weird way to phrase it which will most likely mean that I won't be able to play one.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 6:31PM Duulin said

In my opinion I highly doubt they will be announcing another expansion as the last free expansion did little to increase their numbers. I'm betting the announcement is a change to F2P or some sort of complete revamp that they are hoping will attract new players.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 6:06PM (Unverified) said

WAR going F2P has already been shot down numerous times from several different Mythic employees. I am placing my chips on Black. . and by Black I mean a paid Expansion.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 6:32PM Duulin said

I didn't realize Mythic had stated that F2P was off the table. Do you happen to have a link so I can read about what they said in that regard?

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 5:55PM (Unverified) said

I, too, was disappointed that they did not include Skaven in their initial line-up. I thought it was a poor show indeed that with 6 different races we still only got the typical orc, human, elf, and dwarf races present in every other game.

Still, I wonder how they would go about implementing a new race. I always assumed that they would bring in a new pairing and create new tiers for them to play through, but that sounds like an awfully big job. And if they only introduce 1 new race, could that not create a faction imbalance?

It will be interesting to see what they do, but I wonder if they didn't make things unnecessarily difficult for themselves when they designed the game the way they did.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 9:38PM PaterFrog said

What do you mean with only 1 new race?
There'd be two, Skaven and Lizardmen... If at all.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 6:12PM Fresnel said

For a while now i have hoped for something like the first Idea. My name for the expansion however was Rise of the Beasts. However unlike you I hope they don't add any new tier 1-3 zones instead have new camps pop up in the existing zones where the new armies have moved in. Have the new armies crisscross across the dest/order quests and PQs. Increase population don't disburse it with new areas. A fun twist would be if the beast army was always flagged for pvp on all servers. I mean really is anyone still playing WAR who is PvE only?

If this happened I would seriously consider coming back into the game, assuming I could get my computer to not go to 3fps during end game pvp.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 10:11PM GaaaaaH said

What you're saying makes sense, especially since they essentially removed 2 starting areas for population reasons.

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 3:13AM mysecretid said

I play WAR for the PvE almost exclusively. Much of it is very good, at least in my opinion.

More to the point, the PvE -- and my interest in the game's storyline -- is what got me to try the PvP in the first place.

While I don't play the PvP a lot, I can say it's the only PvP I've actually enjoyed, in all the years I've played MMORPGs.

Recently, I got invited to join a guild (shout out to Sylvan!), and the people who recruited me were such decent folk, I was happy to join.

My guild is big on PvP (RvR), and I'm always welcome to join in, but no one ever bugs me about it if I'd rather just solo PvE.

My point is only this: it was the game lore, and the game world, and the PvE content which drew me to Warhammer Online in the first place. If not for the PvE, I never would've tried the PvP, and I never would've joined a guild.

So, for some gamers, PvE is an incentive to play WAR; the thing which pulls them in.

This said, I don't think the new factions mentioned above would need new PvE content of their own. There's a lot of PvE content already, and the point about not wanted to further segregate where players are playing with new areas is a valid one.

My opinions, anyway. Your mileage may vary.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 4:56AM (Unverified) said

I have said it before and will say it again, a 3rd faction is the only thing that can make this game great instead of only good/average but I doubt they have the resources to do add a whole new faction... sadly.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 6:16PM Gaugamela said

Since we haven't heard anything about Mythic hiring more devs I highly doubt that they'll release an expansion adding a 3rd faction. Although i believe that to be the best choice they could make.

The second choice would be to add new races/careers to each faction, strongly expand the crafting, add housing and a Tier 5 (maybe with lateral advancement) completely unattached from the Tier 4 campaign.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 7:08PM (Unverified) said

It is realistic to believe that WAR is making enough money to ever see any sort of serious expansion at all? I honestly wouldn't have thought so.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 7:34PM nomoredroids said

Going to agree with you here. The amount of resources that go into a paid expansion, coupled with the low population on their servers after T1, would lead to a massive failure of a launch.

Their brand-new tactic of not releasing any information at all to the public (seriously not what WAR is known for), their T1 population boom, and their lack of new hires leads me to believe that they will be announcing a move to F2P soon. Just a guess, really, but I can't see them expanding the game anytime soon.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 7:52PM (Unverified) said

@Havoc, Carson

Clearly, neither of you two have seen the game past tier one.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 8:44PM (Unverified) said

szsleepy, I have no idea how you came to that (incorrect) conclusion, given that I said absolutely nothing about the quality of the game.

I question how much money it is making. I don't believe that the game is currently enough of a financial success for EA to invest significant money in expanding it. Rather, I believe it will continue to be run on a purely maintenance level. If you disagree, let's hear an intelligent argument as to why.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 8:49PM nomoredroids said

@szsleepy: Clearly.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 8:42PM (Unverified) said

Give me skaven and I'm buying the game.