Posted: Aug 14th 2010 8:14AM Grimshock said

And here I thought I was the odd man out with my multiple addictions.

My main game is WoW, but I have a lifetime sub to LotRO and to Star Trek Online. I pop on in both worlds every so often just to check on things, especially Lord of the Rings since I must pay upkeep on my beautiful little cottage in the Shire.

Problem is, it is very hard to sustain Guild/Kinship/Fleet relations, at least for me. I forget who is playing what toon and what quests I might have completed or hung out with certain people. When I am only living in one world I know everybody close-by and remember who is whom and when they were on last, etc....

Heavy is the head that wears the crown of multiple heroes I suppose.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 8:18AM (Unverified) said

1 or 2 it depends if i like them both a lot and 3rd but i dont have the time so realistically 2

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 8:24AM Minofan said

If I'm engrossed: 1
If I'm not engrossed: 2 (1 plus Guild Wars ^_^)

Certainly I've never subscribed to a game while I'm subscribing - or simply favoring - another game.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 8:32AM DarkMellie said

Recently I've tried to play AoC and Aion at the same time and was even considering throwing WoW and CO back into the mix. It was just too much.

My new plan is to have all of those games + EVE + GW installed and then change the sub to a different game each month.

Sounds like a good idea to me :)

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 6:02PM (Unverified) said

I normally have about five games holding my attention at any given time. I play WoW and Aion daily, and I'm usually foolin' around with two or three F2P games.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 8:55AM Jeromai said

Two. Plus random one-night flings here and there.

One MMO usually eats the majority of my time, say 60-70%, and that's enough to play it semi-hardcore, and maintain some semblance of a relationship to others in a guild.

The second MMO is often the 'change of pace' MMO, quite different from the main one, played for casual easy fun, pretty landscapes and/or solo independence. That takes up 25% of my time or so.

And then every so often the game hopping urge takes me and I try a trial, play a singleplayer game or go back to an oldie but goodie for a day or two. That's the last 5%.

The sad thing is, I sometimes maintained a subscription to three MMOs because the change of pace MMO and fling would take turns being the one I focused on casually. And every now and again, the fling would turn out very interesting, and become the new hardcore focus, the previous victor of my time would drop into the casual position, unsoweiter.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 9:48AM Valdamar said

I tend to focus on one MMO at a time - not for economic reasons but because I only want to focus on one at a time and immerse myself in its world.

The only time I had two subscription games on the go was EverQuest 2 and Planetside, but I could justify that because I was only paying one subscription for both (Sony Station Access - back when it was cheaper than 2 separate subs), and also while I preferred Planetside it wasn't always playable because you needed lots of people online for it to be fun. Since then I've tended to just play a multiplayer FPS alongside my chosen MMO (CoH & the Battlefield series, mostly).

However there have been lots of times where I've had my main subscription game and 1-2 beta tests on the side. I don't do beta testing much anymore, though - they're mostly marketing exercises nowadays, just a pre-launch preview, not a real beta where your feedback counts and can change the course of the game before launch.

I'll probably break my pattern when SW:TOR launches - at the moment I fully plan to keep my City of Heroes subscription, so I could end up with 2 sub games, but if I like GW2 a lot more than SW:TOR then it's very likely I'll just play GW2 and CoH and thus only have to pay 1 sub.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 10:26AM (Unverified) said

I try to only sub to one game at a time. Right now its EVE, but I have 2 active accounts. The plan is to play EVE for free once I have steady enough income to buy PLEX for both accounts, then pick up a sub on FFXIV when it releases.
I try to give my f2p games some love on the side, RoM, a bit of DDO, and maybe check out LOTRO and EQ2 once they are free.

On the other hand, its easy forbme to 'forget' and seriously neglect other games if the current flavor of the month is good enough to capture my full attention. That may happen with FFXIV or SWTOR.

My woman and daughter both play WOW so I'm technically paying for 4 subscriptions at the moment.

There is just not enough time for a hobby that offers so many titles worth investing hours.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 10:32AM (Unverified) said

I've not had a main game in ages due to work keeping me occupied. i do however have allot of love for LotRO and Guild Wars, both of these get my attention on and off.

at the moment my main MMO is AoC. but as games have subscriptions ive learned to drop them the moment they are not fun and move on to another game.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 11:07AM Beau Hindman said

This depends on what you mean by trying or playing a game. There are no specific goals in most MMOs (that's why we love them, we can make our own up) so there is no "winning" or "losing."

FTP games also help with an addiction like mine. I can literally skip a game for weeks, come back to it, and pick up exactly where I left off without having to pay.

While I currently have about 40 or 50 MMOs between my two desktop PC's, I play mostly in about 10 of them. meaning play every day. The others I visit maybe once a week or for several hours a week.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 11:13AM (Unverified) said

WoW used to be my main, but now I play Aion almost exclusively. I still maintain both subs just because I like healing on my druid in WoW on occasion. I have no idea how I'm going to manage all the upcoming games I plan to try - Rift, GW2, Tera, FFXIV, SWTOR. I also enjoy (and have spent a lot of money on) Flight Simulator X for a nice change in pace from MMOs.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 11:21AM Pingles said

One. Usually three or four on the hard drive at a time but I usually get very focused on one and neglect the others until patch day.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 11:26AM Seffrid said

My main varies but at the moment is probably LoTRO where I have two lifetime accounts so I'm not paying anything. I also have the whole of this year paid up on AoC as it was on a special deal, but I only get to log in once in a while. EQ2 is also currently subbed as my son (who is grown up and lives away) plays my second account and duoing our two frogloks is a good way of us keeping in touch. I also have Fallen Earth subbed but will probably cancel it today as I just don't have the time for it especially as I've also been doing quite a lot on WAR recently (subbed, not endless trial).

I certainly have more games on the go at the moment than I usually have, and am also looking at a couple of old-fashioned RPGs which are satisfying my sense of nostalgia (Avernum 6 and Eschalon Book 2), but even tho' I'm semi-retired there simply aren't the hours in the day to play all the games I enjoy! I simply rotate between them and will, for example, resub WoW at some point. I don't do guilds these days and play solo or duo so I just dip in and out of games as the mood takes me.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 11:43AM Teki said

I was playing 3-4 at once. EQ2, Vanguard, Pirates of the Burning Sea, & WoW. But I wasn't enjoying them, so I cut it down to one. EQ2. It became fun again.. I mostly blame the station pass for my multi game subscription though. As for WoW, all my friends were play it so I felt like I had to play it even thought I didn't enjoy it.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 11:58AM (Unverified) said

I played EverQuest for seven years - the better part of that was spent doing hardcore raiding six nights a week (RIP Dragon Council).

After I retired my EQ toon I've pretty much been casually hopping from MMO to MMO, often several at a time. I just love the genre.

I know a lot of people who starting playing WoW, are still playing WoW and have never experienced truly quitting an MMO. To them, nothing else exists.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 12:26PM VioletArrows said

I've found I can only play one or two at a time. At some point, I had 5 mmos taking up the hard drive, 3 of them I hadn't touched since I installed the OS, and realized it wasn't going to work. I used to go from game to game, but I can't stay with them for very long because either it's a grind, it wants to be WoW, or both. So now I stick to one, with a little bit of sneaking around every few weeks on the second.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 12:55PM benfolds said

Jef, I hope this isn't your rig at home, if it is I'm seriously worried about you :) Ironically, before reading Massively for the first time about a year ago, and i have been hooked since, I have tried more MMO's than I care to say. Massively just makes me want to try almost everything lol.

Currently I have EVE, STO, WOW, as main staples, with EVE being the dominate one. Also, I dabble in LOTRO and ROM. Also, i forgot to say that I have 3 accounts on EVE which I run all at the same time I have either WOW, STO, ROM up as well. I have 2 screens, both 25 inch and was considering another lol. HELP!!

I keep it in perspective though. I game at night after playing with the kids. It's my release.

I think why I have so many games is I want to see what the other game worlds are like and not stuck in just one.

Great article and question!

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 1:34PM Jef Reahard said

Haha, no that's just a random pic I found. I can triple box at home if I use my laptop, but nothing that crazy.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 1:04PM Bhagpuss said

I've always played several concurrently. Back when there wasn't that much to choose from, I tended to play one main MMO (Everquest or DAOC usually) and one or two smaller ones, often betas (The Realm, Rubies of Eventide, Endless Ages).

As the genre expanded I added more and more, trying pretty much everything that I thought looked interesting, but at any given time I probably only had three or four MMOs on the go.

Nowadays, however, it's more like half a dozen actively played, with twice as many being dipped into. I have over two dozen MMOs on my hard drive right now. Today I've played Guild Wars and FFXIV beta for about 3 hours each and I'm just about to log into EQ2. In the past week I've also played EQ1, DDO, Aika, EQ2X alpha, SWG and Dawntide. Next week I'll add Zentia open beta to that list, and I generally get a few hours in here and there on Vanguard, Neosteam and Mabinogi, plus there are a couple of betas I'm still hoping for emails on.

When a BIG new MMO comes along, though, it will be back to one main MMO and just one or two others for when the servers are down. That generally only lasts for, at most, three months before the variety creeps back in.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 2:26PM Narof said

Got a lifetime with LOTRO, dont play much waiting until new stuff is added. Also got STO Lifetime (biggest waste of money since i bought that chocolate teapot).

Currently really enjoying ROM while waiting for SWTOR.

Plus I usually try most FTP games to see if there special enough for me to grace their servers :P

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM