Posted: Aug 14th 2010 5:20PM DevilSei said

I will totally make a Pyromancer named Beavinos, and he shall be the most dangerous Pyromancer of all! The rivers will run black with the ashes of the non-believer!

Heheh... heh... fiiire...!

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 6:14PM Dumac said

I played a Bright Wizard in WAR and i've gotta say, as cool as fire is, when fire is all you can do, it gets old, fast. By rank 30 i was SICK of fire. I couldn't go on. All the OP imbalances that were going on didn't help me have fun any more. So, i dunno, maybe that was just me, or maybe Rifts Pyromancer will be more fun. We'll see.

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 5:45AM (Unverified) said

maybe you did not follow RIFT before posting, RIFT has a unique class system, where you can combine 3 souls, and you can have multiple combinations that you can active just by pressing a single button.
By level 30 you can have 2 souls forsure, and the combinations are wide, so if you are bored by fire, simply click change combo and you are rid of fire.

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 7:19AM Dumac said

Yeah, right after i posted this, i went to their site and saw the video where they talk about souls and combinations. Its still a little unclear as to what degree you can alter your play style, but sounds nice.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 7:23PM nomoredroids said

• 1 heart
Wow! Something new and different! A magic-user that uses FIRE! Gee golly, don't get too inventive, guys. You might wanna pull back up on that throttle of innovation, because good Lord, as soon as you start thinking about creative uses for magic, you might actually start using your own brains, and that'd hurt!

But seriously, guys, there is a resource by which ANYTHING can believably be incorporated into a game--literally ANYTHING--and what do we get over and over and over and over and over and over again? Fire. Wow. I bet there will be another magic user, and he'll probably use ice. Inventive.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 7:52PM Its Utakata stupid said

...I for one like to see a magic user that just blows bubbles.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 8:29PM (Unverified) said

I'm really looking forward to the game, but I agree with your sentiments.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 8:39PM nomoredroids said

I actually have my eye on this game, too, and that's why it's so frustrating. I am hoping for something more from my 'next' MMO, and this is the single most frustrating convention in gaming. Whenever developers can't explain something logically, "a wizard did it," and then when it comes time to dole out magic-using players' powers, all devs can ever come up with is "...uh...we can have them use fire." It's lazy.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 10:17PM Valdur said

I don't know how much influence Adam Gershowitz had in this but it just sounds like the Bright Wizard from WAR is back.

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 1:34AM Joshua Przygocki said

Well this sucks, another common class...

On the bright side, another common class!

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 2:35AM kjhasdfjkhk said

Yeahhhhhno. They really should have come up with something better than that. Bright Wizards are one thing since they based the class off an existing IP but as far as I know, this game is entirely new. They could have done anything with it.

Oh well, I guess the only positive thing about this is that you can mix and match different class trees in this game, so it probably wont be that big of a deal in the big picture. Still, blah. Fire is my least favourite magic type in any game to the point where if I can play the entire game without conjuring the element once, I will, simply out of spite.

Anyway, this game looks too generic for me, and the updates aren't making it sound much better.

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 11:34AM (Unverified) said

I'm glad that the team over at Rift is keeping consistent with the classes they are building. This game is meant to be classic high fantasy. A wizard type class is expected. Thank you for not straying away from your design and creating new classes that make zero sense in a high fantasy setting. To all of those folks out there claiming they wanted something new and innovative.. what would you have expected for a mage class? There are only so many elements that a mage can wield.

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 12:36PM DevilSei said

Personally, have you seen "Finn and Jake"?

I'd love a mage whose spells mainly consisted of Dustomancy and Mayonnaise-flinging...

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 12:54PM Joshua Przygocki said

And have you seen what happens when a game tries to be unique?

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 9:49AM wjowski said

"People say they don't want WoW clones, then they leave the game a cry that it isn't as good as WoW..."

Bullshit. There's several MMOs on the market that don't ape the WoW/Everquest model and still manage to make a name for themselves. It's the cut-rate WoW clones that're going under.

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 12:31PM Vegetta said

You are not Just another fire caster...Once you start combining souls you get a lot more class options/abilities. The multi class system in this game is going to rock

Posted: Aug 18th 2010 10:56AM wcdregon said

It's amazing how many people negatively comment such a cool event like a new class reveal. the fact remains that fire has nothing to do with whether the class is good or not, its how its implemented and if its implemented well, I don't care. Personally i think elemental wizards are awesome!

The Game Archaeologist: World War II Online