Posted: Aug 13th 2010 9:23AM Jade Effect said

I want .. the banhammer! Gold spammers, gold sellers, power levelling workers, botters, game client hackers and exploiters, they shall not escape the banhammer.

I'll hunt them down with such fervor Marketing department will plead for me to slow down because I'm kicking so many of those dirtbags out of the game. My inbox will be full of players crying that "everyone cheats anyway, so gimme a break" or "they are not botting, it's only their little brother playing the game (24 hours a day for weeks)".

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 9:24AM (Unverified) said

I would be the guy that would direct the game features and unique quests, areas, instances. Basically the ideas behind the game.

Then these ideas would be relayed to the development and writers, getting final tweaks from them and finally testing the end product before it ever went into beta status.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:13PM (Unverified) said

Game Master. Ban Hammer For The Win.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 9:43AM nomoredroids said

Games systems. How things work, rules, etc. Problem is that I can't write code. -.- Also: overarching storyline.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 9:50AM Larry Everett said

Working for a gaming related website writing about SWTOR, that would be the best job in the MMO industry. If only I could land a job like that, I would be so happy.

Okay, seriously, if not working for Massively, I would love to be a community manager. Their primary job is to work directly with the people playing the game, and I really like gamers. We are weird yet awesome group of people.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 9:57AM Stormwaltz said

Having been a writer and content builder on games for the last ten years, I'd say Creative Director. They're the people who define what writers and content builders (and often artists) can and can't do. It's authority that doesn't veer to steeply into paperwork-land.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 9:58AM (Unverified) said

@Larry It isn't all "wine & roses" but community management can be a lot of fun and very rewarding. You work with the rest of the team making the game a lot as well. Pretty much you get to work with everyone involved with the game as well as press and players.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 9:59AM Askgar said

I'll go the complete opposite and say I WOULDN'T like an MMO job, or in fact any games industry job. I decided on this while applying to jobs last year and I came to the conclusion that working all day on games would destroy my enthusiasm for actually playing them.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 10:01AM delphinius81 said

Game systems designer/programmer. I'd be one of the people implementing the combat/stat system, perk systems, advancement systems, and all those other systems that players interact with on a daily basis.

My biggest complaint with many MMO game systems is how disjointed they can be from the majority of the game world. For example, instance rewards rarely have a relation to things you do in the rest of the game world, just that instance (and its cluster). There are no threads that connect those rewards to the everyday aspects of the world, other than through your stats. I would change that.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 3:56PM Silverel said

I would be the guy that gets to go around post-launch and fire all the content developers who just poured their heart and soul into the game, regardless of how far along on their next project they are.

I'd make a killing too since EVERY GODDAMN DEVELOPER DOES THIS.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 10:49AM (Unverified) said

I was hired to write a game (well I have written the basic plot) that never got made. I was so looking forward to my story "coming to life" as a game. I would love to be writer on an MMO as it would be great fun to see my story played in by others (aka a return to my module writing/DMing days).

A lore/quest writer would be most suited for a published fiction writer like me.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:30AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

I would remain a player, I would hate to look behind the curtain.

That and who want's to play the game they do for work? I check out at 5pm for a reason.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:34AM Serafin said

I would want to be involved in the marketing of huge MMOs such as The Old Republic and/or be a community GM-type figure. :-)

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:42AM Its Utakata stupid said

Design cute chibi icons. :)

(It's what I do inpart in real life...but not for games.)

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:18PM Bri said

I want Bobby Kotick's or John Smedley's job. You know, deciding what shape the new swimming pool full of money should be.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:19PM (Unverified) said

I'm with Sarafin --- Marketing and branding would be a blast. I'd love to sell a great game, go to the conventions and push something you loved, etc.

Also, I'd give anatomy parts for a full time Massively editor/writer. To me, you guys have the life.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:22PM (Unverified) said

"for a full time Massively editor/writer -position-...."

there goes that dream.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:25PM (Unverified) said

What I'd really love to do is the The Namer. I'd just sit around and think up names for stuff all day. All the writers and designers would come to me and say "Haddasha, we need a name for a bitchin' sword", and I'd go to my Bitchin' Sword folder and rummage around and say "The Meerkat"! Or something. One day a week would be set aside just for naming NPCs.

In my spare time, I'd invent languages for the NPCs to speak.

And I'd be paid six figures for it.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 2:31PM Nef said

I would enjoy writing the lore for the game world, item descriptions, quest text, etc. While also doing some world/level design.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 2:41PM cray said

Well if I had the formal education to be qualified, I would probably start my own company and hire a few highly dedicated people as qualified, or more so than I am. We would all be jack-of-all- trades, whether it's designer, programmer, artist, writer, and even Gamemaster. So people could switch positions without losing a beat. There would be no shortage of one type of profession as anyone in the company would be able to fill a void if needed.

As boss though I would have the privilege to come into work and change positions on a whim. One day I might be artist, another I might be a Gamemaster. I want to do it all.

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM