Posted: Aug 13th 2010 10:37AM archipelagos said

Off-topic: Might want to fix the typo in the opening sentence.

On-topic: This is truly depressing news. I hope everyone lands on their feet and that this is not the end of the studio, especially considering that APB has great promise (I really love some of the features, especially being able to get credit for selling virtual designs) but there is a long, long way to go before it's realised. That might be part of the problem, who knows.

Geez, depressorama lately with the MMO news.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 6:38PM Palebane said

The game was released too early. I don't know how the initial beta went, but in the last 3 months of closed beta, they didn't seem to really be listening to the feedback. They were listening to their publishers more than their beta testers. I sincerely hope that other publishers and development studios begin to take notice of this and stop rushing their products out the door.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 10:40AM technogecko6 said

This is pretty depressing. I picked it up last month because some friends were giving it a go. We had/have a ton of fun, and the game feels pretty stable and all... but we can also see they need to push out new features and content for it to sustain for much longer. There isn't a whole lot to do at this juncture, but we had our fingers crossed that they might implement larger battleground/instanced style fights (maybe 20 on 20 for an objective, etc), among other features.

I figured the game would go for 6 months till the numbers were this low... but nope... there are very few playing now, even on weekends :(

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 10:45AM phobic99 said

Can't really say I'm surprised. Realtime Worlds had lofty goals, but the execution wasn't up to par IMO.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 10:46AM Zellis said

Holy Cow that was fast wasn't it? I truly feel bad for the people losing there jobs here if this is all true.

As a person who completely passed on the opportunity to play this game in the beta and buy it while boxed and ready to go i don't have much say in the matter, But i never saw this game taking off after hearing news that they would force you to listen to adds while zoning.

The words skeleton crew/staff in conjunction with any MMO I play would Frankly scare the crap out of me, as its normally a look into the future sign of doom and gloom. Having a game not die is great, but it living in the shell of its former self for years on end is far worse IMO, I'm looking at you Vanguard and Matrix online (R.I.P)

In closing I hope everything continues to stay heads up out of water for the APB Team and for those who might have lost there jobs, and those that already have I wish you all the best of luck.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 10:59AM (Unverified) said

This is a shame, but I'm not surprised. The game was absolutely great, IMO, but a lot of people had issues with the patcher, there were some intense balance issues, and, most crippling, I heard reports of people actually being unable to buy game time; their order just would not be processed. The game literally could not make any money.

I really hoped they would've been able to fix the issues the game had before it was too late, but it looks pretty grim.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:01AM Keen and Graev said

APB or its company not doing well is no surprise.

What surprises me is the rumor that it cost $100 million to make. Someone deserves to be fired if that's true.

As for the statement: "APB is still going strong and we fully intend to support 100%."

... ... ... uh huh.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:04AM wcanyon said

Translation: we'll take your money and restart the servers when they die.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:16AM Gaugamela said

And you're a jackass. Happy because a bunch of people lost their jobs??
Tell me where the frak is the fun in that.

And not, it isn't only crappy games closing down. Just this week there's been news that Chronicles of Spellborn and Earth Eternal will be closing down and APB is also sinking.

Did the MMO bubble just burst?

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:35PM (Unverified) said

In the US it burst...worldwide it's booming

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:45PM Its Utakata stupid said

Off-Topic: Who are you referring too, Pedro? I can't see anyone here above you making ass hattery of the situtation in bad taste.

On-Topic: As I pointed out below, I don't think the MMO bubble is bursting. Just 3 games that where not doing so well going aside in just close proximity to each other time wise. Correlation does not mean causation - this most likely coincidental. However, if suddenly say in the next month a significant portion of MMO's go belly up, then you maybe on to something. 3 MMO's just doesn't count. Especially when they where in trouble to begin with.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 1:23PM Gaugamela said

The comment in question was deleted. It was someone laughing and saying that the closure was deserved because the game sucked.
So my own comment now is a bit ouf of context.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 1:18PM archipelagos said

Pedro was referring to a comment that has now been deleted.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 2:47PM Its Utakata stupid said

Thanks Pedro and Archipelagos for clarrifying that.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 7:07PM remover said

No offense intended to game fans,
but no, it's because the games are not good. Sure, maybe you love them, along with a large group of people, but at the end of the day... there are a LOT of amazing games out there, and all these "hey, look at us too" outfits that are doing the MMO equivalent of a B-movie are going to end up broke or out of business or something. Costs associated with producing games don't scale differently with niche markets and things.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:03AM wcanyon said

No one's mentioned that they essentially ignored the hacking. Hard to say how prevalent it is, but not having any anti-hack in place really is bad for PR. Alienates players who aren't "teh hardkor" in a big way.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:04AM (Unverified) said

Pretty much a result of giving the people a subpar game. Not suprised at all.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:06AM MtthwRddl said

Aww, I'm sure you're just remembering what the doctor told your parents, minus the game part.

It's obvious this destruction of the company was not entirely affected by the success of APB. APB just came out a month ago. The company must have been in bad shape before the release and hoped the success of the game would keep the company financially afloat.

It really sucks. It's just incredibly lousy of a situation for a game that shows purpose and promise to possibly be canned because the company who makes it can't stay in business.

What's lame is that if a big wig company were behind this game, they could make the game as lousy as they wanted to, and the game could live on for years. But a company developed by a smaller company that shows promise can't stay afloat to continue improving their game.

Here's hoping another company with plenty of financial income can buy the game and give it the attention it needs.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 1:03PM alucard3000 said

You can hardly blame it on them being a small company Global Agenda is doing fine and they are a small company,Fallen Earth is doing ok too and they are a small company.And all those "big wig" companies as you put it were small once too they just did something right at some point I highly doubt they had money trees growing in their backyard and a farm full of geese laying golden eggs.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 1:26PM slinky317 said

• 1 heart
I don't think that Global Agenda is doing "well" - they just had to remove their monthly fees altogether and they cut the price of the game in order to get players. I don't think I've heard of one player say anything like "OMG this game is awesome!" or anything remotely close to it. The average opinion, and the one I expressed when I played, was "meh" and that's about it.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014