Posted: Aug 13th 2010 7:02PM Joshua Przygocki said

I really want to see the TERA version of the sparkle pony now...

Then again, I'm still wondering how well TERA is optimized, I'm sure my laptop can handle medium, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to play at the higher graphics levels unless they optimized it and made it smooth.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 8:22PM ChromeBallz said

Tera runs on Unreal Engine 3, which is ridiculously well-optimized. It's the same engine as Unreal Tournament 3, Gears of War, Mass Effect 1 and 2 and a load of other games. If one of those games runs well on your PC, all the others will too.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 8:30PM Joshua Przygocki said

UT3 on high/max :D

Thanks.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 8:30PM Its Utakata stupid said

I want to thank the devs of Tera for coming clean with this in a relativley short time frame with this. Unlike for example Cryptic Studios, who obfuscated and said nothing for weeks on end after we first heard rumors MT's would be part of Champions Online busines model. This is very refreshing hear. It suggests Knox and company are very receptive to our concerns before the fact, as oppose to after where player feedback doesn't matter anymore.

Thank you again.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 9:33PM Joshua Przygocki said

Sounds like they are trying to keep their nose clean and sound like a much better game since at first sight it looks like Aion, makes me happy to know my most anticipated game has a team that cares.

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 10:04AM Skyydragonn said

I have to agree with the sentiment here. Too often developers keep things that are bound to spark controversy or player outcry in the dark until its too late for the communitys voice to matter. Kudo's to them for being upfront and tackling player concerns early and decisively.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 9:52PM (Unverified) said

I think the problem is not with the company releasing "tidbits" of information. It's the wild and sometimes crazy speculations that arise from either mis-reading the information or not reading the information at all and following the mob with the pitchforks and torches to burn down "Dev Keep".

But it is good to see the Devs quickly responding by opening the door, placing down the welcoming mat and offering them a nice cup a tea to sooth their concerns so quickly.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 10:28PM Mirin said

This is good news, the micro transaction model is annoying and not something I have ever felt comfortable with.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 10:32PM Mirin said

I would like to add that companies that think its ok to be both subscription AND micro transaction based (WOW!) can blow me

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:02PM Pingles said

The account services I fully support. Services that other subscription games don't offer but are available for a fee: FINE.

Vanity items? Sorry, NO.

Subscription games are getting money from you every month to play. Vanity items are EVERYTHING IN THE GAME. They are called DROPS.

Spend your time and energy on making good quests/raids for these drops. Not paying your top designers to design fancier items for the richer players.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:13PM Joshua Przygocki said

They are focusing on development first-

"There may be a point in time of TERA's lifecycle that we offer "vanity item" sales, pets, and other items that players have enjoyed in other AAA+ titles."

Don't worry, sounds like the game is first priority.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 5:07PM organiclockwork said

What does it matter to you if someone wants to buy a vanity item? Awfully vehement about something that you in no way, shape, or form have to take part in and would not affect your gameplay in the very least.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:11PM Joshua Przygocki said

Umm, I for one, am glad Sera took the time to add this little bit of news to the website. I read the previous article and was somewhat worried it was true, but now I know that TERA will NOT have micro transactions. Great news!

It really only needed a few paragraphs and a quote to sum this up, and, this is quite important to people like me who don't like to pay for additional things that are possibly necessary to the game after paying a sub.

The price on account services is quite worth it too, a gender change or renaming is COMPLETELY optional, plus they even say that it is all just extra fluff, for the people who want to spend a little extra money because they think having a new name or sparkle pony would be worth it.

So instead of trolling or getting upset at what others find important, why don't you just unplug your keyboard from your computer(laptop? be creative), and not post.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 11:17PM Joshua Przygocki said

By the way-

"However, senior producer Brian Knox has sent us a statement that sets the facts straight: TERA is not a microtransaction game."

First paragraph says it's not a micro transaction game.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 12:41AM Dblade said

He's not clear on it though.

He means "It's not going to be a sub game where we sell game-enhancing items like XP potions, as per D&D, and it wont be F2P."

However selling vanity items is still having subscription and microtransactions. Chances are they will.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 7:51AM cotheer said

How many times have we heard this in the past few, lets say, months?
And then few weeks later, baamm...
Anywho, never say never since success is never guaranteed.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 9:43AM (Unverified) said

LOL I tried to tell the people in the other article's comment section. Basically, if you don't follow a game (interviews, dev blogs, etc) then don't STFU with your knee-jerking.

So what if they want to sell sparkle ponies like Blizz/SOE. If you really feel that a game is about vanity items then you're playing for the wrong reason. Vanity items are useless when it comes to game play, unlike my uber, epic Sword of Nastiness that'll cleave your face off. THAT is what I hold over some noob's head, not my fresh sparkle pony that drops .01% of the time off some boss. GTFO with that lame ish.

I laugh in the general direction of the microtransaction fear mongers. Go hate on Nexxon or Perfect World some more.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 11:33AM Pingles said

You remember that deep sea diving helmet in WoW? Or the Turtle mount, etc.?

They were vanity items and WoW made them rewards for quests and reaching tough places.

They were part of the game you were paying a monthly fee for.

Now every time a designer comes up with a clever idea it's "How much can we charge for it?" instead of "What should we make this a reward for?"

Companies are charging you a monthly fee for access to your characters and THEN selling you their game items.

I am sorry to hear that so many others are willing to tolerate it.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 12:55PM Gel214th said

That's a shame. As a subscription based game it means everything I dislike about MMORPGs - Long travel times, ridiculous Grinds, sameness of quests,exponential leveling curves etc. - will be in TERA.

I would have preferred a microtransaction and/or item-shop style game.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 1:57PM Its Utakata stupid said

That's a shame too. As a F2P based game it means everything I dislike about MMORPG's - Long travel times, ridiculous grind, sameness of quests, exponential leveling curves etc. - that can easily be swiped away with a rich man's credit card.

I prefer TERA's model because it maybe all the above, least you can't pay to skip it.