Posted: Aug 12th 2010 7:31PM Superfan said

• 1 heart
I am there for a month and maybe more...depending on GR. From what I read, I just don't get why this took so long to put out. It is very lacking. Nice new zone with not much to do in it. From what I understand, the new missions will have some same old maps. If that's the case I will be done after my one month and wash my hands of CoH.

I can only guess this took so long because of having to mesh these systems into an old engine and code. Who knows.

Anyway, it'd be nice to stick around but the pure repetition of this game did me in before. Coming back for one more kick at the can!

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:43PM Haggs said

Superfan, I hope you do move on and fine a game that makes you happy. You don't seem happy with playing CoH... so why are you still playing? Plus, I'm getting sick of your needlessly negative comments in EVERY SINGLE CoH thread on Massively.

And I think you have unreasonable expectations when it comes to game design. Going Rogue has 130+ missions just in the new Alignment System, plus all the Praetoria zones have four different story arcs in them with multiple contacts. That's a lot of missions that take quite a bit of time to make.

And it's also unreasonable to expect brand new maps for every single mission when you don't know how long it takes to design brand new map tilesets. The Praetoria missions mostly take place in the new maps. There was only a couple times I ran into an old warehouse map in all of the Praetoria content. If playing on old maps even just a couple of times is too much for you then, again, you have unreasonable expectations. Sorry.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 8:38PM whackanewbie said

FYI...this game is already out in my area. Fry's has it. I even asked them why they had it early. I don't play this game anymore so I didn't by it; also figured that once installed I probably wouldn't be able to play it until its release. If you're around Sacramento the Fry's has it. No joke.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 9:39PM Its Utakata stupid said

If Praetoria was a 1 to 50 zone that offers an alternative area to level from Paragon City and Rogue Islad, this would indeed make me very enthusiastic for this exspansion...despite the dated graphics engine. (Note: WoW is realized threw a dated graphics engine too, yet it is continued to be improve upon.) But this new zone, as spectacular as it is, is only levels 1 to 20...

...so what Going Rogue is really selling is is a new paint job with a 4 new zones with pretty much the same game. Sorry...as much as I like CoX, this seems very uninspiring and disappointing.

I'll add though, the only interesting thing going for it is that you can switch factions without coughing up $25 USD. (Note: Glares at Blizz.)

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 10:44PM Surelle said

• 1 heart
Unfortunately that is correct-- Praetoria is not only limited to the level 1-20 range but you must roll a new alt there to even see it. Then you're stuck going back to the old content from 21-50. They did bring back the old Cathedral of Pain instance first shelved in 2006 for the 48-50 crowd, but outside of that, you're stuck literally betraying back and forth endlessly if you want any new missions at all.

I love what they did with power customization, but all it does is enforce the already-worn-out impression of City of Heroes that character creation is amazing....and it's all downhill from there. :( And releasing it ahead of time (like releasing two of the four powersets early too) just weakens Going Rogue all the more.

I have many level 50s and a slew of alts from the high 20s through 46; I so wanted this expansion to rock.

NCsoft did trademark CoH2 this past April; I can't help but think that the all-time high of 80 Paragon Studios employees NCsoft currently shepherds are too busy cranking out CoH2 to do much more than make Going Rogue a brief test for CoH's DX 10 engine. ;)

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 7:49AM (Unverified) said

I am very disappointed with CoX nowadays : always focusing on polishing things (which is good of course) and adding powersets but always failing to deliver enough new content to keep players -apart from the fanboys of course- playing... when will there be something to do with my eight Fifties except grinding a few TFs and rolling many many many alts?...
A 1-20 expansion? You gotta be kidding... I won't come back and spend 20 bucks for... what? seven hours worth of playing?
Geez... back to EvE I guess.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 8:16AM (Unverified) said

I think the above comments are a bit overly negative.

If you are first coming to city of heroes you get the new expansion plus all the original content so as a first time purchase its not a bad deal.

If you are part of the existing base though, it does feel a little lite.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014