Posted: Aug 12th 2010 11:36AM (Unverified) said

That sounds ok but still not good enough for me. I thought the diplomatic corps. in Star Trek was called Starfleet or The Federation! It shouldn't be necessary to join some other contrived organisation.

Ideally there should be just one kind of mission, and it should be possible to complete each mission in a variety of ways - diplomatically, sneakily, violently, etc. Of course, not all missions could be completed in all possibile styles.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 11:49AM Saker said

Agree!

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 12:50PM archipelagos said

Agreed. It's a pity that we need to wait for another studio to have a crack at a Star Trek MMO in the hopes that they actually 'get it.'

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 11:44AM (Unverified) said

So, you can't level up through diplomacy? It is totally seperate to the normal experience system in the game?

If so, that sucks.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 1:42PM The Other Chris said

You still get XP, but you also get Diplomacy XP, of which has 4 ranks, each with various rewards.

Only being in Tier 1 (Attache), I can say that it does need some help. As stated, there is no indication as to what you need to do to get started. Following that, you have no idea how much Diplomacy XP you have earned and how close you are to the next Tier. Tier 3 give you your first First Contact mission, which I'm curious to see how it plays out.

As the reviewer stated, five of the six Diplomacy Missions there are actually very well done, and I think they are on the right track with those.

Still, even with Diplomacy, the game has a ways to go.

Posted: Aug 16th 2010 8:17AM Raithnor said

@Chris

Your diplomacy XP is listed in your character stat page under the normal XP/Skill point value.

The amount of diplomacy XP needed for the next tier is 160 points while the maximum is 400 points. So you're talking 40 diplomacy missions and your done.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 11:47AM Platypus Man said

I never minded the focus on combat; there *is* a war on, after all. I guarantee Captain Kirk would have been shooting first and asking questions later had a state of war existed between the Federation and the Klingons.

That said, I'm happy about the diplomatic missions... because MORE is always BETTER, especially in potentially great game that launched with way too little to do.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 11:47AM Snichy said

So are there only 6 diplomacy quests available? If so, thats not really much and nowhere enough for them to call it new content. If there are numerous more which the writer just hasnt done yet then it can only be good for the game.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 12:39PM (Unverified) said

There are more than that. I don't know how MANY more, but definitely more than that, those are just the easy-to-find (sort of) beginner quests. I did one on K7 just last night.

I think they need to add more rewards to the diplomacy quests than just diplomacy xp though. Regular xp, or merits, or something.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 1:41PM Renko said

There's another one on Vulcan but that's about it for dedicated diplomatic missions. From then on it's either random non combat exploration missions in the Star Clusters or Diplomatic Investigations from the Ambassador that directs you to a specific Star Cluster for a non combat mission. Later on there's First Contact missions which are the pay attention to NPCs and answer their questions variety (including a Trek trivia question).

All in all a bit underwhelming.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 11:48AM ScottishViking said

Ugh, I can't believe that this is the studio that is working on the new NWN game. Terrible.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 11:50AM Ocho said

When I logged in for the Welcome Back weekend, I saw the Sugardaddy guy. Since I started a new captain, it was my first time seeing him, and although he didn't give any quests directly, one of the chat text boxes said to head over to some system in some sector to start the process of becoming a diplomat... I forget what system, but it was outside the sector that Earth Station is in, and I wasn't at a decent rank yet to attempt to head there. Sorry I'm not more specific about details... it was 4 days ago.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 11:57AM benfolds said

Its definitely a step in the right direction. And yes you can level up. You get 10 Diplo xp for each mission, and then you need to do any no combat missions to get to 160 Diplo xp until more diplo missions open up. Without the guys on the STOKED cast, I would have been lost on this one.

The thing is like is stated in the article, there is no guide to follow. NPC's are not helpful in telling you "Hey you need to go here to get started". That could use some work.

DStahl is definitely moving the game in the right direction.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 12:38PM WonderPenguin said

The diplomacy system is a great idea with an incredibly ham-fisted implementation. You shouldn't have to wade through nebula missions hoping against hope that you manage to get the non-combat mission you actually want to do. I realize there's no chance in hell they'll significantly change the game to accommodate the diplomacy missions. I would settle for a change to the mission prompts in the exploration nebulas...so that instead of "Explore Unknown System" we could get a hint as to what kind of mission it is. Maybe "Investigate Hostile Action" and "Respond to Unknown Hail" or something.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 1:30PM Controlled Chaos said

I think the big question is, will this be enough to bring them some new subscribers as well? I've actually heard of quite a few people who aren't interested because of the sheer amount of sameness to pretty much most other MMOs. Point, click, kill, repeat.

Would this be worth forking over a subscription fee?

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 1:54PM (Unverified) said

I think its safe to say "Nope" to your question. There's very little that STO can do to bring more new players in than what they're currently getting. The Trek Fans have already dived into it and made their decisions.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 2:48PM J Brad Hicks said

It gets a lot better once you get to diplomacy rank 2, and even better once you get to rank 3 and start getting first contact missions. Although it's still awfully repetitive, even by MMO standards.

There's a missing system that should show up soon called anthropology missions, exploring pre-warp cultures; they cut it right before season 2 went to the test server to give it more work. I'm curious as to how that turns out.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 3:03PM NeoWolfen said

Vulcan (1), Starbase Sierra 39 (1), Memory Alpha (5) and Bajor (1) are the diplomatic quests to get you started.

After that your just looking for any mission that has noncombat for additional DXP or indeed any mission that may have combat but can be completed without firing a shot or having a shot fired at you.

then you have to grind away until eventually your high enough diplomatic rank to start getting First Contact missions as well.

Its poor though because its all random, you cannot CHOOSE to be specifically diplomatic in order to avoid combat content, you are still forced to go through combat content in the hopes of getting those few non combat missions (which are more available in clusters right now anyway).

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:10AM Graill440 said

I was already grinning, from spite, i am not sure, maybe some deep seeded loathing because i want to read more it was just so....well i stopped at this point....

"Unfortunately, the fetch quest turns out as boringly as possible. I buy the jumja stick at Quark's Bar and deliver it to O'Brien for 10 more diplomacy experience. Yay. "

..because i was laughing like the maniacal villain in one of peter sellers pink panther movies, right at the point when they find out the famous detective has just foiled them again with bumbling efficiency.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 10:39AM Loki1 said

investigation to solve conflicts in a diplomatic way.

Seems like they finally took my advice. I'm sure i could even find the old post where i ask for a quest like that.

More of this!