Posted: Aug 12th 2010 4:31PM Greeen said

nice initiative, thanks.
if I understand correctly, codemasters will discontinue the eu support, and all will go via turbine.
what happens then? automatic conversion to turbine, as warhammer did with simply adding _EU to the account name? or does one have to make a turbine account? can one merge with an existing turbine account where lotro already was played, either as trial or full purchased game?

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 5:31PM pcgneurotic said

As happened with DDO, you'll probably get an email from COG saying, 'Sign in to your COG account and click this button and your characters and account will automagically be transfered to Turbine'. Your account name should stay the same.

Which is great, because I was just about to say that I'd totally overlooked the fact that my LOTRO account is an EU one, and I was sad that I'd have to re-roll everybody Turbine-side, so if you're right about COG giving up LOTRO as well, then hooray!

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 5:32PM pcgneurotic said

Also: I am going CRAZY waiting for the 17th for EQ2Ex to kick off. I keep staring at my Extended launcher with it's unhappy red words of non-access, and crying myself to Norrathian sleep. :(

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 5:48PM DataShade said

That EQ2 membership level matrix is very discouraging. They've segregated the servers, so I can't pop in as a F2P to play with old friends and guild members; I can't buy classes beyond the basic 8, so if I like it but want more I have to kiss goodbye any money I've spent on incremental account-upgrade microtransactions and subscribe; the FAQ doesn't clarify if, when you downgrade from Gold, you go to Bronze or Silver (so I assume you go to Bronze and have to pay an extra $10 to get back up).

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 6:33PM (Unverified) said

No. Silver is a one-time unlock. If you drop your Gold subscription, you go back to your previous status-Bronze or Silver.

I'd ask why anyone would think otherwise, but I realize that cynical is the in-thing. ;)

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 7:08PM DataShade said

"Anyone" would think otherwise because of DDO. In DDO, if you go from Free (analogous to Bronze) to VIP (Gold), then allow VIP to lapse, you downgrade to Premium (Silver).

As an aside: there's a huge divide between cynicism and skepticism. When has SOE exceeded your expectations? They've pretty consistently failed to meet mine. I've been along with them from 1999; they went from churning out new expansions like clockwork to force players to constantly re-buy the game (EQ) to literally charging beta-testers to get copies of the install files (SWG) to rebuilding a game in the middle of the game's life (SWG again) to altering the game to coerce players into paying to access things that had been free from the start (FreeRealms).

So ... cynicism? If we're going to make wild assumptions about each other, I assume you haven't really been paying attention.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 5:57AM pcgneurotic said

"There was an article where one of the Sony guys basically admitted that the only reason they're going F2P is to keep up with the Joneses. It really looks like they're doing this to lure people in and then shove them towards subscriptions, rather than the friendlier Turbine model."

If that isn't rampant, unbridled cynicism, I don't know what is. Also pointlessly vague when it's obviously Georgeson's interview, which was posted here within the last week or two. :P This is lazy armchair quarterbacking Mr. Data!

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:11PM DataShade said

@Neurotic
Well, if it's obvious, why did I need to less vague?

Assuming you're an American, it's still a free country so you can do whatever you want, but you could have at least checked a dictionary. The original Greek Cynics were more like Buddhists than snarky hipsters, but in modern usage, cyncisim is the belief that selfishness is the primary motivation for human behavior. Skepticism is adopting an attitude of incredulity. I don't think "half-heartedly doing whatever they think will preserve the company's market share, even though that method seems guaranteed to build a lot of resentment among new players" is quite the same thing as 'selfishness,' but maybe you do; maybe that's why you think it was cynicism.

Sony has disappointed me too many times for me to do anything but say "I don't believe you" when they tell me that have some cool new thing.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 6:00PM Controlled Chaos said

*chuckles* Yes, all of you should know better than to objectively post your opinions on the site you write for. SHAME! FOR SHAME! You all should have been spazzing all over the place and frothing over the obvious conspiracy of corruption by the East against monthly subscriptions as though it were the second coming of Jesus.

But now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 6:06PM (Unverified) said

-------
Question for next time you talk to an ArenaNet person: Will Guild Wars 2 have an actual auction system? Broker like Aion? Private stores? Lemonade stands?

(probable answer: we're not ready to discuss that yet)

-------
Question for next time yo talk to someone on the GW1 Live team: Will Guild Wars 1 ever have some type of weapon mods merchant, similar to the runes/insignia ones? Mini-pet merchant?
-------

Hey, one can dream, right? :)

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 2:44AM wondersmith said

Why bother asking? I and others begged repeatedly on the forums since the days of the weekend betas for a real marketplace in Guild Wars. ArenaNet reps assured us time and again they were working on it. What did they deliver? A stinking trade chat channel! It was like East Commonlands tunnel spam all over again.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I won't believe a word from ArenaNet about any feature till it's actually in the game, and I certainly won't buy Guild Wars 2 without a real, working marketplace.

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 8:25AM Valdamar said

Questions for next time:

1) Are there any other MMOs that use a global chat handle like City of Heroes does, so that you can chat to friends and see if they're online regardless of which character they're playing? (Note: you can go anonymous to various degrees if you don't want friends and/or guildmates and/or global channel members and/or LFG search queries to see you're online).

2) Are there any MMOs that use a skill-based rather than level-based progression and actually have no levels at all, with progression being more horizontal (i.e. more flexibility - like Planetside's battle ranks) than vertical (i.e. more power, like EverQuest/WoW's levels), so that anyone can group with anyone else without restrictions (and without needing a separate system to raise/lower some people to the level of others like CoH's sidekick/exemplar system)?

3) I've been enjoying the "RPG-shooter" Borderlands this week - it is an FPS with RPG-like progression through levels, it has 4 classes with 3 talent trees in each (just 1 active skill - all of the other boosts you can get are passive or on-kill bonuses), and features a procedurally generated loot system like the Diablo games have. I have two questions regarding this:

a) Are there any MMOs in existence now, or in development, that are mainly a PvE cooperative MMOFPS in basic gameplay, but with the fun parts of RPGs (progression, loot, questing) bolted to it?

b) Are there any MMOs in existence now which feature procedurally generated loot?

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:21PM DataShade said

1) Cryptic's new games, Champions Online and Star Trek Online, both have that same chat system. In fact, you can see STO players from CO and vice versa. Guild Wars is halfway there with the way they handle guild membership, IIRC, but I jumped into GW with TheOlderGamers.com so I wasn't playing with people on my friends-list, I was playing with people in my guild, so maybe my recollection is flawed.

2.) No? Not at the moment, not for all the points you hit, not right now. I believe FunCom's in-development game, The Secret World, promised something like that. There are games, like CO and STO, that have a sidekick/teaming system like CoX, but you appear not to like that.

3a) No idea, but
3b) Technically, lots, for some definition of procedurally generated. Borderlands generates a lot cooler-looking and more functional weapons, but, technically, all the greens and many of the blues that drop in WoW are generated the same way, as are most of the drops in DDO, etc. Borderlands' gear is much cooler than anything else I've seen, but it's also newer.