Posted: Aug 11th 2010 6:33PM myr said

Levequests are annoying in that you can only do so many per day. Combat (war/magic disciples) and gatherers are on the same timer; crafters are separate but there are MUCH fewer of these available.

And nobody's grouping to do more, like the devs wanted us to do. Just like every other 'modern' mmo, if people can solo it they will.

Still nothing else to do in the game yet either. Solo grind, or explore the same areas I've already explored 10 times I guess... I realize that a lot of content that will be in the game on release isn't here yet, but man... they could at least make this stress test a little more interesting for those of us that have been doing it since the beginning of alpha. If it weren't tied to my entire SE account I'd give my access up to someone who hasn't played, because I'm finding it very hard to stay interested in this game.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 9:00PM jmerriex said

This is seriously annoying me. It took me 30 minutes to find a group while everyone was soloing.

I like the game and what they are doing but the beta testers aren't the sharpest people on the planet.

I REALLY dig the changes to the keyboard mouse set up. It's much nicer now.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 6:40PM Cendres said

Yay!! I was wondering and waiting with abated breath when you guys would post this!
Will be blogging away.. ^_^

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 6:49PM (Unverified) said

Slightly off-topic and odd question, but I really love the type-face they used for the names above the NPC's. Anyone know what it is exactly? Looks like some variant of Garamond.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 7:20PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
yeah word on the street is it's a bust :( sad really...wanted to play a new mmorpg.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 7:51PM Cendres said

You're looking at the wrong side of the street then or expecting this to be something it is not.
Many don't share that opinion.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 7:53PM Monkey D Luffy said

• Half a heart
And you can tell it's "a bust" by playing a very very limited content beta?

Are you stupid?

PS. It's word around the basement, not word on the street.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 4:20AM Qin said

Joker, are you stupid? Learn to read and comprehend a single sentence.

He never said he can tell what the game is like. He said word on the street, as in people have been saying.

And don't try and follow-up with an insult it makes you look even more childish.

Who is voting up such a bad comment anyway?

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 12:42AM Monkey D Luffy said

• 1 heart
@Qin. Calm down kid. Nerd raging is bad for your health.

You know he's a troll, right? He claims to be in the Beta.

Throwing a fit over a comment you don't seem to understand makes me think you're him trying to troll me, lol.

BTW, What people from the street are talking about games?
I grew up in the ghetto and the only other person that even had a game system was my friend that was a dealer, and all he had was GTA SA.

It may be a saying, but it doesn't go with games, lol.
Most gamers live in basements so that's where the talk going on.

I'm only on here for the information, not to argue with an angry teenager going through puberty. Vent your rage if you want, lol.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 7:39PM Jade Effect said

So the NDA is lifted? Okay, that's great. I'm looking forward to people talking about their good and bad experience with the game so far.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 7:57PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@ CindyL: Sure hope you're right! As I said before I'm looking for a great, new mmo BUT when I read many of the reports they say it's your go kill 10 rats quests. I also hear grouping is rare and not needed. Along with all that you read about the bad UI, targeting issues, etc. but these things don't bother me that much, it's the non grouping and kill 10 rats that's got me questioning this game. How could a company like SE, known for good stories, even put in go kill 10 rat quests?

It's my hopes that this is just at the start of the game but who knows *shrugs*

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 8:50PM tchuks said

FFXIV is not like WoW in this regard. The quests in each zone in WoW help to push the story and get you involved with the lore of the game. This works in WoW because each race start in specific areas, so the nearby leveling zones (ie: for alliance gnome) tend to be geared more towards the story of gnomes and alliance. You can't pick an undead race and start off in this zone, so none of the quests have to say anything from the perspective of the undead.

You can beat the game and have done less than 100 quests in WoW. Most people do this after their first toon is level 80, they get powerleveled really quickly, and the storyline/lore get forgotten by people speeding through the game. You are not forced to follow the storyline.

What I'm assuming SE is doing with FFXIV (because they did in FFXI) is to have very little story involved with the quests (maybe side-plots in stories), but the main story will be done through missions that require you to complete them to reach end-game zones. This forces people to follow the very strong story that SE is known for. You can get powerleveled or grind XP... but when it comes to the story, you have to go through the missions and understand the story to do the really cool stuff.

You can pick which system is better. If you pick up a copy of WoW, start a character and get to level 80 in 2 months, you can do it and miss out on 90% of the story along the way. You walk into the raids and get the items you need with your guild. In FFXI you might be able to get 75 (or 80 now) as Rank 1 (no airship lol) but any of the cool items you can get need you to be well into the story. IE: No rank6 = no sky; no CoP missions = no sea; and so on.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 9:04PM jmerriex said

Grouping IS needed. You get more skill ups by grouping on leves. People in beta however are not that bright.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 9:15PM Monkey D Luffy said

• 1 heart
Oh, i just remembered you are the kid that Trolls every Massively post of Final Fantasy XIV.

What i don't understand is why you do it, and why you use the "kill 10 rats" almost every time.
No use denying that you're a Troll because you have recycled the same material and got answers each time.

You are confusing people that don't know much about FFXIV and should be banned.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 8:44PM Blancmanche said

Nice, no more NDA. On another note, the betakey giveaway on FFXIV Core, Zam, etc. has been extended until the 16th. I was really looking forward to seeing if I got in today, but I guess I have to wait. :(

And people should really keep in mind that what we're seeing now in the beta is a badly neutered and unfinished version of the final game. This is Final Fantasy, so I have faith that there will be strong storyline quests. Yes, they have "Kill 10 Rats" quests, but they had those in FFXI, too; they were called Fields of Valor and people loved them. And for those that don't, they were only one among a very large assortment of activities people could engage in. And let's not forget that SE likes to roll out humongous content-filled patches every other month or so. What we will see in September is likely a very large and diverse world that most of us won't have fully absorbed before much more is added.

SE has been in the MMO market for a very long time. They have had many years to learn the lessons of FFXI, as well as observe the lessons of other MMOs. If they haven't learned anything and are making a crap game, then they deserve whatever backlash from the community they have coming. But if I had to predict whether they are making a crap game or an enjoyable one, I am inclined to believe that they know what they are doing and are making a very enjoyable game.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 9:53PM Cendres said

I love your comments. ;)

From the beta I am under the impression we are indeed handed a very broken version of a game we have to really see in it's full glory. We are given what needs feedback and fixes. And that's about it.

I'm usually very critical of betas and am usually wary of the final product but so far SE has shown through frequent updates on their site and in the game that they have a plan and are following it. I like people with a plan! I'm astounded at these claims that beta suggestions are not listened to because I have seen the exact opposite. Certain features common in MMOs simply won't be there because SE doesn't see the point (jumping) and if people have serious issues with it that's ok, I don't expect every single person in the world to like this game.

There's lots of issues currently that we are discussing and reporting in the beta, but even with the limited content and all that I feel like I'm home. ;P Take that as you will.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 9:07PM Pewpdaddy said

Also keep in mind it's FFXIV.... I guess if you never played XI you don't understand what I'm saying. This game is very similar to XI, at least from what I've seen. Highest job so far was conjurer to 11 physical lvl 17 so I didn't get too deep into missions and whatnot. The initial mission will get you enough money to start crafting, which is good by the way. I'm digging this game very much, I played a lot of XI but the graphics finally pushed me away. These graphics are stunning, quite a game in my opinion. I'll be happy to have my CE in hand on the 22nd. Here's to hoping for a midnight release at my local Gamestop. =p

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 9:12PM Abriael said

are you SURE that the NDA has been lifted? All I see is a notice that pertains the usage of copyrighted materials and it's relative to the Fansite Kit.

I see absolutely no notice anywhere saying that people can freely go around posting screenshots and information from the beta, or the dropping of the NDA. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I checked everywhere, and there's nothing about it.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 9:18PM Pewpdaddy said

Yes this is from a fansite....

.... FFXIVCore has been one of the most adamant sites in regards to upholding the NDA. The NDA is not completely lifted, there are still things you can't post openly. Namely video, but as far as posting, blogging or otherwise talking about the beta your free to do so.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 9:22PM Abriael said

I know Pewpdaddy, I've seen this, but it seems VERY, VERY weird to me that Square Enix would just give "permission" to a fansite, no matter how big, without writing absolutely nothing on the beta site and to the testers themselves.

It could be legit, but it could very easily be the result of miscommunication (or mistranslation) between FFXIVcore and the unnamed SE representative they spoken too.

For the moment, I wouldn't go on the word of a fansite alone, no matter how trustworthy. The only official notice beta testers received explicitly talks about materials "provided by SE", IE: the fansite kit.

It makes absolutely no mention of self-taken screenshots or even more, opinions and information.