Posted: Aug 11th 2010 8:55PM DancingCow said

I don't think it's surprising that the subscription market is slowing. There's only so many potential customers and frankly, most of the recent subscription MMO releases have been disappointing.

I'd been subscribed to at least one MMO almost constantly for years, but stopped two years ago. I'm just waiting now for something decent to play.

A few good MMOs are all that's needed to reinvigorate growth.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 10:38PM madbassman39 said

This is completely off topic and unrelated to anything, but there are now 3 "Nick"s commenting on this page. Its confusing!
Me, You and this Nick

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 11:08AM (Unverified) said

I can think of one giant downside, Tempe Magus: Quality. I would take one really well done old-school style MMO, subscription model and all, over a thousand of these current games where we play them for a few months and then throw them away.

Maybe games like Nexon's Vindictus will change that trend, but I have yet to see one of these F2P games be on the same quality level as any "AAA" MMO, whether it be before or after WoW.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 9:58PM (Unverified) said

Changes on payment methods = F2P and cash stores in subscription games.

Changes in game play = qucik to jump in and go with less grind and less complexity

Both items will take MMOs to a more mainstream casual audience and increase the MMO footprint alot.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 11:03PM (Unverified) said

It's great to hear that the genre is growing and more people want to play MMOs! I know complexity and all that is part of these new players getting into the games, but all I ask for is one game that embodies the GOOD qualities of 1st generation MMOs. Even if we're 150k players sectioned off into our own MMO retirement home, I'd be happier than Richard Garriott in Cape Canaveral.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 2:03AM timthel0rd said

Having the CHOICE to pay for a game seems a lot cheaper than a forced subscription.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 3:05AM Jade Effect said

The bulk of future MMO growth will be fueled from the East. A significant portion of WoW players are from Asian countries like China. Aion is doing very well in the East as well. In new markets like Russia, Lineage 2 is doing much better than its US/EU counterpart. nDoors even added payment methods specifically meant to carter to Brazilian players in Atlantica Online.

China has already long overtaken the United States as the country with the most online users, which is estimated at over 400 million people. To put it into perspective, that's more than the entire population of the United States. Moreover, while users in Western countries usually use the Internet for information, Internet users in China usually use the internet for entertainment.

The dismissal performance of recent Western MMOs only convince me that the market in the West is only so big. Everyone is basically trying to poach customers from one another. To expand, Western MMO companies have to look beyond their traditional markets.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014