Posted: Aug 11th 2010 7:03PM Vlo said

James Phinney leaving is a huge surprise, wow. Undead Labs and ArenaNet should form some sort of alliance.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 7:44PM DevilSei said

Shhhh...

secretly there will be zombies made by Undead Labs in GW2, and GW2 characters in the zombie mmo (along with a zombified Gwen)...

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 8:05PM ddarko said

To me, James Phinney's departure means Guild Wars 2 is basically done. Coupled with the flood of previews that Arenanet has been releasing recently and I think we'll see the game released by the end of the year.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 10:18PM Its Utakata stupid said

I really hope you didn't mean, "pulled the rug ouf from underneath GW2's feet because they left," done. :(

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 12:13AM Its Utakata stupid said

Sorry...if I got a little paranoid. "For a game to potentially ground-breaking coming over the horizon, only to be foiled by the bleeding out of its best talent," was what was running threw my worried little mind. Thanks for dispelling that a bit, Tempes. :)

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 1:58AM Dirame said

@ Tempes

If Daniel Dociu and Kekai were the ones who left then I'd cry havoc and then I'd say the game is completed(even though I already think it is).

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 3:31AM alinos said

well sure the design parts may have achieved a point in construction where there regarded as the rest of the team just has to bring the game home

i think a release this year is a little wishful maybe beta before christmas but i would assume the team would want a break over there christmas if they've been working thier asses off and releasing at xmas would give them all the work associated with a smooth launch

as much as i want to see the game

i would rather they don't push it out because xmas is a peak sales period, too many MMO's beginings reflect where they are years later

Posted: Aug 13th 2010 8:16AM cerebrix said

james was never lead designer on guild wars 2 anyway. thats always been eric flannum. eric was the best kept secret blizzard had until they lost him to shiny entertainment, where he lead the sacrifice team.

trust me, guild wars 2 is going to rock. i wish james the best too, but i dont really think he was all that pivotal to the day to day operations of the development of the title.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 9:33PM Controlled Chaos said

You've got to do what you want to do. If they want to head over to Undead Labs and it's what they like, then I'm sure they'll be happy there and it leaves some room for some new talent in ArenaNet as well.

Undead might be worth looking at, as I had no idea they existed before this post.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 10:02PM (Unverified) said

Console only game.... no thanks!

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 9:26AM Tom in VA said

Well, I would have thought Jeff Strain's leaving ArenaNet would be a portent of doom for Guild Wars 2, but it hasn't been. In fact, the more I have heard from Strain and about his new zombie MMO, the less interested in that game I have been. It sounds (to me) as though he/Undead Labs is really heading off in an entirely new direction.

I wish him and the others well, but the zombie MMO they are working on does not appeal to me at all. I think Guild Wars 2 will turn out just fine regardless.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 2:35PM (Unverified) said

They probably wanted to get a new job while the getting was good! How many studios have announced layoffs soon after their games shipped?

I'm not saying GW2 is going to tank, far from it, but you simply need more people to ship a game than you do to maintain it once its released. At least that seems to be the trend for most studios.