Posted: Aug 11th 2010 5:19AM Nhoj1983 said

spamero. I'll tell you this. If I were an investor I'd avoid any game that touts any kind of grind. No matter how fun the combat is it can easily become repetitive. Your example aion is a case in point. It's, especially at high levels, fast and frenetic.(at least as a ranger) Within traditional mmo combat it's actually one of the better systems. Sleek and seemingly simple but not quite. Yet how have the average player reacted to it because of the grind? Badly to say the least. There are good points to the game but it is punishing when it comes to both leveling and end game. The payout is generous(lets face it the haves can beat the crap out of the have nots) but the work to get there is to most unacceptable.

Another even better example would be Age of Conan. Being truly innovative and action based the game gave a phenomenal first 20 level experience then poof the carriage turned into a pumpkin when people had to grind a slight amount(in comparison to say... L2.. or any old school game). For better or worse most western players have almost zero tolerance for grind. It might otherwise be an amazing game but a tiny bit of grind will ruin the whole recipe for the average joe player nowadays.

They've made the right choice and I think most will love the time they spend in the game.. perhaps there might be a stint where you go play another game while you wait for expansions... but really who cares? we're not paying a sub for this good stuff and hence all they have to do is deliver a good value with each new expansion aka the original gw. This game's looking good.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 5:21AM alinos said

yeah

but i think alot of it goes to the stupidity of the quests in other MMO's like when i get told to kill 10 centaurs on the other side of the map go back to the person and then hes like oh they have leaders as well go kill me 3 of them , oh they dropped some plans go burn 5 bags of grain, ok im bored i hear theres this guy that has elite status go kill him then you can go annoy someone else

combat does have to be fun tho and the grind is more acceptable (WAR the combat felt slow and clunky and i left) my issue with aion was that nearly everything nearly killed you id you were by yourself and didnt give enough XP if you were with someone else, so you spent more time w8ing for Regen or killing 3 times as much so that you would be able to kill the stuff at the next quest
(and then the quests ran out and you needed to do that anyways :( )

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 7:55PM alycat said

A grind, by definition, is not fun. The term is usually used to describe boring repetitive tasks. If something is fun, it's not a grind.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 5:15AM alinos said

Right im off to Pre-Searing again i need to kill some stuff

only thing im concerned about is the whole village will be saved thing
i mean on my second char through is everything saved already or what or is it acheived through a sort of instancing type thing

i.e. is there something that dictates ok you've kinda done this so from no on you see it saved while the new guy sees it in trouble or something to that effect because otherwise it kinda seems that if your there for the first month youll see some cool stuff but after that it will all be completed and will just have the grindy things they speak of

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 8:12PM (Unverified) said

When you save a village, then it is saved for whatever period of time it takes for the centaurs to take it over again.

If you are on a second character, he might come across the same village, and it could be either destroyed, or fully functional.

Posted: Sep 10th 2010 8:01PM alycat said

The content you are referring to is persistent, not permanent. Your personal story (instanced content) is permanent. Changes to the world are persistent. It stays as it is UNTIL something comes along to change it again.

It's sort of like real life in that way. People attack a place. They are defeated and/or the place is rebuilt. Then one day, people attack again and so on...

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 7:48AM Oh Dear said

Looks beautiful so far.

One thing I noticed from giving GW1 a trial was the fact you couldn't jump. I know this is a pretty petty and trivial function to bring up, but for me it just feels wrong.

Any info about being able to jump in GW2?

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 2:57PM FeendRendor said

Yes, you can jump. They've had that confirmed since the beginning.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 7:48AM Oh Dear said

Looks beautiful so far.

Any info about being able to jump in GW2?

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 7:53AM (Unverified) said

Yes it has been confirmed a long time that you can jump in gw2. Not only that but ANet is focusing a lot on z-axis movement, as you can also swim and there will be areas that can only be explored underwater.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 10:07AM M1sterLee said

"Yes it has been confirmed a long time that you can jump in gw2. Not only that but ANet is focusing a lot on z-axis movement, as you can also swim and there will be areas that can only be explored underwater WITH SHARK PETS!."

there, fixed :)

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 10:06AM M1sterLee said

Up yours Deathwing!

RAWWWWRRRRRR!!!!!!

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 10:21AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I'll probably give it a shot, but I fully expect I will drop it like a bad habit when I run into those traditional ArenaNet game killers for me. Crappy weightless animations and combat that just feels wrong.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 10:23AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
That's my chief concern. Clunky gameplay, no matter how innovative.

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 10:52AM (Unverified) said

Most upcoming MMO's are going to be pretty unique and have new stuff in them... But at first I didn't think GW2 had that... But now I do... That's because it looks very much like every other MMO out there right now.... Don't get me wrong, now after they have showed more of the content, it looks badass ! :D

It's like taking a MMO that already exist and make every aspect of the game new and innovative... Instead of doing like many other developers are doing - making a totally new setting (real-life, sci-fi, post-apocalyptic etc.) and then just add the typical content......

Posted: Aug 11th 2010 3:58PM doublerainbow said

HOLY HELL! This...this is how you make an MMO! From now on...this is how you do it!

I honestly don't care how hard the game play is, or even if there isn't an end game to GW2. I would buy this just for the art, amamzing game play, and music alone.

I honestly think ArenaNet did it! I can't believe it, but I really think they finally made a truly immersive and amazing altrenative to WoW.

This makes ToR look like total $%#@.

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 9:20AM (Unverified) said

I wonder if it's possible to have an mmo where the actions of each player affects the environment, storyline and ultimately what the other players face in the game. Like a dynamic world, quest storylines etc. Something like what happens in single player RPGs but on an MMO scale. So if like you killed off the centaurs, there won't be anymore centaur quests for anyone else. They could of course make it almost impossible to kill off the centaurs and the centaurs may even attack you while you're doing other quests? A game-wide quest? The developers would have to keep adding content however. Anyone have ideas or know of any game that already has that (even just a bit?)?

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 8:15PM (Unverified) said

That's what's happening in Guild Wars 2. If you save the village, then it is saved for EVERYONE on your server. If you fail, then it is destroyed for EVERYONE on your server.

Either way, it will chain off into new events, so depending on what state you find the village in, you can have a number of different events to participate in.

Posted: Aug 14th 2010 8:50AM (Unverified) said

*shrieks in bewilderment*

I want this game to work out SO MUCH. Really. Please, Anet, make this game work! I don't think I would survive it if I played GW2 and it turns out to be no fun to play!

The Nexus Telegraph: How to fix WildStar