Posted: Aug 9th 2010 11:13AM pcgneurotic said

Hey Jeff, nice article man. I can't agree more about the endless boring fascination with the business side of the industry. Sometimes it seems there's too much uninformed talk about games business as opposed to the actual games, esp. in the mmog genre.

Anyway, as a 6 year EQ2er, I'm in agreement with some of those things (the sitting down would be nice; apparently it's a problem with the original character skeletons, maybe something to do with the motion capturing thing, I don't know. But they have been trying to fix this for years now), and the flying would be cool (jumping a Fae or an Arasai and jumping off the cliffs at Butcherblock is pretty awesome), but I'm not sure about the player generated content. If it was vetted somehow by SOE, so that only the really good stuff came through, okay, but otherwise I fear acres of junk cluttering up the place...

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 11:14AM pcgneurotic said

Yeah, 'making' or 'rolling' a Fae and jumping is fun, but uhh, jumping a Fae could be messy... for the soles of your boots... hahaha

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 11:20AM Jef Reahard said

I hear you about clutter, it's already hard to walk around Norrath without tripping over a mob every five feet. The player-generated content I'm talking about would expire on a timer, much like SWG if you've ever messed with the Storyteller system. They'd also need to put some limits on where you could place things (i.e. no giant obstructions in front of the Freeport gates, etc).

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 11:42AM pcgneurotic said

Having just finally watched all those Fan Faire vids about EQNext, it seems to me that there's an opportunity to add player-content tools right there on the ground floor. Now that would be cool. :)

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 11:40AM wcdregon said

I've never played EQII, but aren't you excited for the new generation of MMO's that are being released soon?
EQII is an old game and there's stuff like SWTOR, FFXIV and TERA on the 12 month horizon.
I'm almost a 30yr old dude and these new MMO's make me wanna squeal with delight like a 10yr old girl playing hopscotch.

Old and busted or new hotness, c'mon Jef get with the times maaan!

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 11:48AM Jef Reahard said

Lol, yes I am excited for the new stuff, particularly Tera, DCUO, and TSW. Never been a huge FF fan but I'm obligated to try it at least. TOR is a mixed bag for me. I used to be the biggest of the big SW fans but the prequels (and a slew of derivative Lucasarts games) cured me of that. I'll play it, but I'm not gushing over it like most people.

EQII is an old game, but I prefer old (or old-style games), as they generally have more depth and non-combat options. A lot of the new hotness is pretty shallow imho.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 11:59AM Ocho said

I think these are fantastic ideas... imagine the possibilities of creating your own instance or something similar, where you could place mobs and whatnot, where you could run player-generated content (on a timer so it isn't a drain on the systems too much), and then allow the players to name their crafted goods so that the players running through the content could get a personalized reward. It'd be like Unlimited Adventures for MMO's, and though I personally am not into it, I think its a fantastic idea.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 12:19PM (Unverified) said

I'd just like to see a client that doesnt look like it's 10 years old and yet run like rap on an ultra modern PC.

seriously Sony, you are WAY WAY WAY overdue for a complete client overhaul.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 12:40PM Jef Reahard said

I hear this a lot but no one has ever been able to clearly explain it to me (or maybe they did but because I'm not an engineer I didn't get it).

What is it about EQII's client that "runs like crap?" The PC I just built runs it at anywhere between 60-80 fps with every single slider maxed and box checked. I'm not discounting your opinion, just honestly curious as to what is so bad about it.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 12:58PM (Unverified) said

When EQ2 was built, they advertised it as being "future proof" to some extent. It required a VERY beefy computer to run it with any amount of detail, the likes of which did not exist when it was launched.

They placed their bets that processor speed would continue to grow in leaps and bounds, memory would grow a bit and gfx cards woul be important, but not heave lifters. They had no clue about muticore CPU's and hugely multicore graphics cards. So the game was not designed to utilize them like most modern games are.

I have a realtively good gaming laptop, it's 2 years old but still lets me play most games out todate @ 1900x1200 with just about everything maxed. It will not do anything even close to this with EQ2. In fact none of my PC upgrades have ever let EQ2 operate as smoothly as ny other games on any system I have owned.

I can play WoW, LOTRO, AoC, Aion or any number of other titles that look FAR better, run Far on this PC, yet EQ2 still splutters along.

Example, I have to turn down to minimum settings to load into the guild hall, I turn down to minimum settings to raid in EQ2 also.

I'm no stranger to tweaking for games, I've been gaming for 20 years. Eq2 runs really poorly no matter what I do. I have a Core2Duo 2.53 Ghz, 4gb Ram, Windows 7 64bit and a 8800GTXm in a custom configure SagerNotbook gaming laptop and I get 15-30 FPS, at best on custom settings.

With some titles updating soon to support DX11 cards (LOTRO) having EQ2 stuck on DX9 and performing craptasticly is annoying. How can SOE expect to attract many new members when the client performs so poorly compared to other games. I've seen a quadcore with 8gb ram and dual video cards perform with mediocrity.

The engine needs a revamp to support at least DX10, multuple core CPU's and 4+ GB Ram.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 2:15PM Jef Reahard said

I gotcha. Thanks for elaborating.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 2:17PM Bizzac said

The problem is with your processor *and how eq2 works with it* Eq2 was designed to run on a single core in the 3~4 gig range. Almost all the rendering is done processor side. Your 2.5 gig *multi core or not, I don't really think eq2 supports it, not matter what they say* is sadly too slow. I can understand why they can't recode the whole system to work off your graphics card more, but I don't see why they can't use multi core better.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 4:18PM pcgneurotic said

It does have multi-core support though, and I suspect your performance is down to the same alchemy as every other gamer's experience with different games. My rig is nowhere near as hot as yours, but I still play at Very High Quality with slick frame rates. Which is fortunate given how much I love that creaky old git. :D

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 12:23PM GenericPerson said

Good article Jef. I'm a new EQ2 player and have been nothing but pleased with the game. There are a few issues here and there, like you have mentioned, but the game in its current state is by far more in-depth then anything I've played before.

I'm currently playing a Barbarian Paladin with some work friends on Antonia Bayle. We've been talking non-stop about the combat system, guild system, crafting system and housing. This game truly has everything I'm looking for, even the ability to stunt your leveling in favor or exploring areas fully.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 3:44PM (Unverified) said

There are items that allow you to glide like a fae. And the next expansion is supposed to bring flying mounts. Comes near, no?

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 2:23PM (Unverified) said

Problem with that is processors are not scaling in Mhz, they are scaling in cores. In fact often times they are scaling DOWN in Mhz and laterally in cores.

That is exactly my point. The engine was designed for 8ghz procs, instead of 4 x 2.0 Ghz procs. It's not a fault with the procs. 2.5GHz is not slow, average processor speeds are still around 3.0 Ghz.

The engine needs to be updated to support new shader engines, new DX levels, GPU's that are massively parallel, and mulit core CPU's.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 2:25PM (Unverified) said

Also, 2.5 Ghz is not slow.. lol.. i actually giggled at that comment.

Search the Eq2 forums for what CPU's were available when EQ2 was launched.

Take a look at how other games run on that "slow" 2.5Ghz processor.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 3:08PM (Unverified) said

I can see plenty of issues with player-generated content and player-named items. Cue the Labrynth of the Giant Phallus, and the Breastplate of Penis!111One!1

There would definitely have to be some kind of quality control on player-generated content. Otherwise, these types of things would break the game's immersion to a great extent.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 6:00PM coercer said

I would love to see (although its a horse long beat dead) unique animations for ever race/class combo. It's a great game but an iksar should move differently than a gnome.