Posted: Aug 9th 2010 12:18PM Snichy said

Bit like a mini-game then, with little or no impact on the wider game although "rotating quest objectives, customizable ship cosmetics, achievements, various difficulty levels" would seem to suggest that it isnt completely useless. As long as it isnt an afterthought and is a properly thought piece of content, it should be quite fun but Im willing to bet its not what the fans were hoping for.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 4:50PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
You kids have fun paying for your Massively Multiplayer Online Single Player game. :D

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 5:49PM (Unverified) said

@ Ironwill

And you kids have fun judging a game before it's even released. Judging a game before beta is even out just makes you look stupid.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 9:32PM Lateris said

Here is a link to the actual October Issue of PC gamer posted by a fan:

Posted: Aug 10th 2010 2:35PM (Unverified) said

@cidien
Then the producer and distributor think we're pretty stupid if they're putting out trailers and such hoping we form an opinion about a pre-beta game.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 12:19PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
Really? A tunnel shooter .. it it goes live with that then (IMO) SWG > TOR.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 12:40PM Jamis7 said

• 1 heart
You have played SWG right? That was one of the worst MMOs of all time. It launched with ZERO content. Sure you could craft a bunch of stuff, but when you actually want to I don't know have FUN there wasn't much to do. Let me go to a stupid mission terminal and get THE SAME QUEST over and over to grind XP and credits.

If TOR had no space at all it would still take a massive dump over SWG. People aren't even going to care about space combat in a few weeks. It might be the big topic of the moment, but people will get over it once the game gets closer to launch.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 1:42PM Distaste said

@Jamis

Have YOU ever played SWG? There was decent amount of things to do from crafting, which is by a large margin the best implementation seen in an MMO to date, PvE(Krayts, Geocave, Dark Jedi, Corvette, Night Sisters, Death Watch Bunker, etc), and PvP(player bases).

You obviously didn't explore and need to have content presented on a silver platter. Did you do the Jabba, rebel, or imperial themeparks? Did you explore all the POI's? Did you start a business? Go bounty hunting? try to create the ultimate pet? Socialize in a cantina?

SWG was FAR from the worst MMO. Honestly it is definitely in the top 5(EQ, DAOC, SWG, WoW, Ultima)

SWTOR is going to be mediocre simply because it isn't trying anything new or exciting and this space on rails just proves that. They are making a WoW clone with dialogue choices and Voice overs for quests and now a space mini-game that won't have any major impact on gameplay.

They should have saved space for an expansion/patch and done it right instead of taking the easy way out by developing a half-assed space implementation. This was only put in so they could say they have it but in reality it is no more important to the game as the WoW BC flying bombing runs.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 2:16PM Sharuk said

WoW was called an EQ clone, was it "mediocre"?

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 2:10PM Rayko said

@Disataste

Jamis was talking about " at lauch" , he didn't say it but it was implied.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 2:25PM Joshua Przygocki said

I really would prefer open space but I like this idea for this game just because it's perfect for telling a story, one thing bioware is known for. You need to be directed to a certain spot and see certain things happen along the way which are what make this game sound great. It's going to be very story centric and filled up with lore from KOTOR and Star Wars. Most of the people hating on this are probably in the new wave of MMO players that want action games mixed with MMOs.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 4:25PM Jamis7 said

Let me further explain why SWG was shit. I played the game at launch, back when people actually thought it might not be a steaming pile of shit. Sure for the first week or so there was the "oh wow look at me I'm in the cantina from A New Hope, this is so awesome!" moments, but those where quickly replaced by the grim reality of the game.

EVERY MISSION, and I do mean EVERY MISSION was go to [insert wamp rat/mynock/Imperal/Rebel] spawn point, kill a few enemies around it, and then destroy the base. EVERY MISSION. I don't see how on Earth anyone could find that to be fun.

Sure there where a few mission you could take from Jabba or Luke, or Darth Vader, but seriously that was such a small fraction of the game it's sad.

Is it too much to ask for a game to have actual content? I'm paying money to play this game, it was Sony's job to make fun stuff for me to do, not the other way around. I'm not looking for a avatar chat room. Sure the crafting was good, but I need more then to log in and check my harvesters and then load up my factories.

I can't speak to how that game plays now. From what I understand Sony also realized the game was complete shit and basically just gutted it and tried to start over. The sad thing is by that time the only people left playing it where people who for whatever reason actually like that shitty game the way it was at launch so when they changed it everyone cried about that too.

I don't know if SWTOR will be god's gift to the MMO world, but one thing I know it won't be lacking for is content. There is going to be stuff to do, and there is going to be an interesting story. Even if it doesn't hold my interest for years and years, I know the time I spend with it won't be a complete waste, which is far more then I can say about SWG

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 6:58PM (Unverified) said

@Jamis

SWG was one of my favorite MMO's ever, from launch through about a year. I left it for FFXI, but it remains one of my fondest memories of gaming to this day.

There is more to a game than just questing. Every game has kill ten "X" quests, some disguise it better than others. I also think that my love for SWG has a lot to do with the fact that I was a complete Star Wars geek at the time it came out.

If your opinion of a game being a 'steaming pile of shit' is based on the fact that it released with limited and similar quests, then you shouldn't be playing MMO's, because they all have that problem.

Star Wars Galaxies was a huge, almost endless sandbox that let you explore entire planets in one of the most famous and interesting settings in all of entertainment; the crafting system was amazing, making the economy amazing. The pvp was fun, WEARING A STORMTROOPER COSTUME that you crafted was tremendous. Trying for months to figure out how the F to unlock a Jedi, and the fact alone that the class EVERY player wanted to be was impossibly difficult to play was pure genius. Making that same class suffer permadeath was equally genius. Player housing, farms, towns, cities--pure awesome. Oh yeah, and chatting while waiting for a shuttle was awesome.

I think you missed the boat on SWG. I played with friends, and it was great.

Back on topic. I am disappointed with the details on space combat. I was hoping more 'massively multiplayer' honestly. Have to wait and see, I guess. I am actually not as impressed as I wish I was with TOR so far in any respect. To me it seems like WoW meets KOTOR. I really hope I'm wrong and the game is fabulous.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 7:36PM Mirin said

Worst MMOS of all time? Thats just angry fat kid talk. SWG was an amazing sandbox MMO in its time. I wont comment on where it is now other than to say its not as bad as people make it sound.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 8:34PM Not THAT Matt said

@Quez

So you went from playing one of the crappier games around to playing what can only be described as one of the most tedious, badly-aged games available today?

That's a surprise :\

Posted: Aug 12th 2010 7:39PM Temploiter said

If you played SWG from the mission terminal you missed about 99.9% of the game.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 12:19PM JuliusSeizure said

So, it's like the Gummi ships from Kingdom Hearts? >_>

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 12:54PM Keen and Graev said

Hahahah that's an awesome comparison. Yep, essentially it's exactly like Gummi Ships.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 2:39PM Eamil said

Eh. Depends on how they pull it off.

Star Fox 64 is another example and I STILL play that game and love it.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 10:59PM (Unverified) said

Except that there's no customization, and you can't move forward or put on the breaks.

One Shots: Nowhere to hide