Posted: Aug 8th 2010 1:24PM (Unverified) said

Here is an official TOR thread on the space stuff

Also some Jedi Knight details in the article:

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:01PM Zal said

Pretty disappointing but after reading that link and thinking for a bit it doesn't seem as bad as I first thought. I had Rebel Assault as a kid and if that's the style then I understand what they're going for. Basically it's Lylat Wars/Starfox 64.

If you think about it this means that there could be some pretty cool scripted storyline based stuff happening in space for missions. So at the very least this means it's easier for Bioware to create more plot focused space missions as they can control where we fly and what we see.

At the end of the day this is Bioware we're talking about so even though it is kind of a bummer I bet it's still fun once we all get our hands on it.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if we see bigger more open space related content down the line in a patch or expansion.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 1:29PM Miffy said

I doubt they'd be stupid enough to do that and not expect people to slam the game.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 1:44PM Daverator said

I have to agree, they would be way better off to simply not include space than such an obviously poor excuse for space.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 1:47PM BIGGIN said

Not surprising. I never once believed that their big tease about space combat was going to be anything on par of SWG: Jump to Lightspeed; which is a shame.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 1:52PM Dandmcd said

If this is all they have planned for space combat, then I'd rather they not do it at all. This reminds me of the horrible on rails space combat in Kingdom Hearts, or vehicle missions on planets in Mass Effect. They were tacked on, boring time wasters, and the time developing could have been spent elsewhere.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 1:54PM (Unverified) said

this could be a serious deal-breaker for me.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 1:57PM Cicadymn said

Isn't that what the did in KOTOR?

That being said, there are two conflicting feelings for me. I know we don't want some stupid minigame, we want the freedom to dogfight and attack others and explode in outer space.

But at the same time, with the game they're trying to make, adding something like Jumpgate Evolution is got to be immensely difficult.

It's all about balancing cost vs time vs reward. This time cost and time might far outweigh the reward. Maybe they'll do space combat on rails on launch and then add full space combat a few years down the road in an expansion.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:02PM Terrorbyt3 said

If this be true, then I have no more interest in the game. It would definitely be a deal breaker for me.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:06PM keroko said

I will note at this point that this same write-up claims that the Jedi Knight has an advanced class that can choose to dual-wield or wield a double-bladed lightsaber.

Make of that what you will.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:07PM Whiney said

Oh wow, its deal breaker because the space combat is railed? Big freaking whoops. Are you the guy that cry at every little details?

And since when The Old Republic series is about space combat?

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:29PM Killerham said

• 1 heart
Exactly! The Old Republic has never been about space combat. Even in the original game space combat was just shooting from a turret and the space ship moved on its own.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 3:05PM Dblade said

I know I was very interested in hearing they were doing space combat. It might actually have been something different, but starfox style? I can play that on the gamecube.

Space combat well integrated with the MMO aspect would have been cool.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 3:15PM Dril said

Yes, because when I watch the Star Wars space combat scenes what I'm really thinking is: "this seems good, but damn, I wish they showed more Imperial/Sith troops with snipers."

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 12:57PM ChromeBallz said

So why include it?

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 5:13PM remover said

It's not a little detail.
It's the biggest detail. It's a game about planets, space and the spacefaring races that inhabit them.

It's an incredibly important aspect of the game if it's to be included at all.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:09PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
I for on am happy that they are going this route. I don't play MMO's because I want to play a space combat sim. And the notion that I would have to fly was annoying me. JTL should be proof enough that the majority of MMO players really aren't into space combat. Everyone I know wasn't real excited about it in the first place.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:57PM CCon99 said

Are you kidding? JTL tripled SWG's subscribers at the time with people actually coming back to the game for it's release, it was also the highest population of players in the game since its botched launch sent thousands running.

JTL was a great addition to the game and the best part about it was players like yourself who weren't into space sims, weren't forced to buy or play that part of the game either.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:38PM (Unverified) said

Make it like the Space Ranger's Hyperspace mode!

Or even better, ot's normal space mode (not turn based ofc...)

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 3:04PM Rayko said

I figured this would be the case with space combat at release. I would be highly surprised if the space combat does not evolve down the road though.