Posted: Aug 9th 2010 4:30AM Seffrid said

It's a personal tragedy for those whose jobs have been lost through this, but in an over-crowded marketplace such closures are going to become more commonplace.

I don't know the game personally, but I suspect that there are a gazillion other similar titles for those needing something to replace it. That's the main problem with F2P, there are too many clones offering shallow content of mediocre quality on a business model that won't last in the West. They can't all survive, nor if we're being realistic do they all deserve to. They're a passing fad, none of them offers enough substance to be anything more.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 5:11AM Bhagpuss said

The people crowing over the demise of Earth Eternal might at least do the game the courtesy of knowing something about it. It's neither "Asian" nor a "grinder". It's pretty much a standard, old-school MMO with the one quirk that almost all the races are animals.

I think thud a few posts above is fairly near the mark. I played EE in closed beta and a little in OB, and as many have said it's a fun game. It doesn't, however, live up to it's potential. It plays very poorly in a browser (although fine in the downloadable client) and it's far from the light, fun game it appears to be from the website.

I found it very reminiscent of MMO gameplay around 2005-6. The post-WoW quest indicators and quest-driven play are in place, but most of the underlying gameplay is pre-WoW. It has a fairly high learning curve and a level of difficulty thatt doesn't really sit all that well with the "have fun with your friends playing a cuddly animal" publicity.

I haven't played it for a long time, but almost every week I think of logging in. I'd better get in there fast for one last look before it's all gone, although I hope it can still be saved.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 5:38AM Purkit said

Shame to see it (potentially) go. It may not have been everyone's cup of tea but it was trying to be a little different and what I saw of it was quite good. Sorry to hear people have lost their jobs and I wish them good luck in whatever they do in the future.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 5:52AM pcgneurotic said

Eeee, that's a blow. Earth Eternal was lots of fun, I enjoyed it, my kids enjoyed it. It's a great game to play together, very family friendly. Fingers crossed it will be picked up, otherwise it's back to Free ADHD Realms. :(

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 5:59AM (Unverified) said

I am saddened by this news. This, along with the somewhat recent closing of Near Death Studios makes for a pretty bad past year.

As the owner of a gaming company that has just released a new online RP (Primordiax - www.primordiax.com) this sort of news makes me pretty nervous. Is the economy this bad right now? Is it possibly to succeed if you aren't Activision or Zynga?

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 7:30AM archipelagos said

Very sad news. Best wishes to the staff and here's hoping that they land on their feet.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 8:55AM benfolds said

I think we will start to see a fleshing out of F2P and even Sub games in the near future. To many games and not enough customers. The more well established such as LOTRO will make it for sure, but the new ones I believe will be like TV shows these days, ratings aren't there the first few shows, cancelled. The one thing about free to play is that there is no cost factor to leaving, hence making it easier than say a sub game. I don't look at it that way, with me it's time vested. I consider my free time valuable and once I dive in, I will give it a while before I would move on.

It really saddens me to see some of these game houses fold. No one wants to see someone else lose their job especially in this economy. I just think we are seeing gaming customers being pounded by new titles. Like any other area of business, there is only so much demand. The industry needs to slow down and improved or revamp what is currently out there instead of pushing half finished titles out.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 11:10AM (Unverified) said

Exactly, the market is getting really crowded and with more and more games coming out every year it will have an impact on the current ones. With more and more options available such as hybrid payment and F2P games, not to mention P2P games slapping on cash shops left and right, there is going to be a shakeout.

I've never played Earth Eternal (lack of time), but I'm surprised it is facing closure, mainly because it seems to offer a unique game world from the usual fantasy settings. Perhaps a better working game along with a better business plan might have meant the difference. Something all types of business need, and not a lot actually have, is a solid plan. Ever eaten at a new restaurant that has great food and service, seems to always be busy, but is out of business a few months later? I've seen it time and time again. The problem was poor management, not sticking to a budget and/or the almost always fatal trying to expand too soon. With MMOs you have the added problem of having most of your costs upfront before you even launch.

I think things are really going to be bloody in the so-called AAA P2P market. With new games like SWTOR, FFXIV, Tera, R:PoT, Secret World, DCUO and more on the way; can AoC, WAR, Aion, Fallen Earth, CO, STO, etc., survive without major changes? Throw in unknowns with hybrid/F2P models (Earthrise, Black Proph, Jumpgate, a zillion others) and who knows how this will all turn out.

The one game I can predict that will do well and prosper is Guild Wars 2. Not just because I'm a big fan of GW1, but the "buy the box, play for free" business model, mixed with some of the best creative talent around and built on top of the fun game play of the original; is as close as you can get to a sure thing in MMOs. Well, aside from slapping on a new coat of paint on older content for a game that can do whatever they want and still rake in the cash, such as WoW:Cataclysm. :)

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 2:00PM Cendres said

@ Wade

That's exactly it, the competition is just so fierce and I think gaming companies may have over estimated how popular MMOs are. They thought that since WoW openned up the market there was going to be this huge potential of new mmo players to market to. But I swear in all the years I've been in this community and on all the forums and sites I go to (Massively,1up, MMORPG.com, site specific fan sites...) It's the same people I see over and over...

While we are a small sample of who actually plays it's a good indication that devs are now fighting over the same crowd essentially. Which is exactly why F2P and hybrid models are doing better, because we can juggle more games.

And no mmo regardless of how their payment model is like is immune from closing down and I'll agree that the 'big' MMOs with established games under their belt don't need to fear too much but new comers like Planes of Telara better watch how they do things imo.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 11:21AM Danieros said

Well, people losing their jobs is never a good thing unless they were involved in illegal activities (which wouldn't even be called a "job").

Anyway, regarding the game itself, never was interested. Too many games, too little time. MMOs themselves are black holes of time and effort when compared to non-MMOs, and a market eventually reaches a limit of how many can successfully run simultaneously. One rarely plays more than one at a time, I've tried playing 2, even 3 at a time and the results were an incredibly low progression rate. Paid $45 a month for the 3 of 'em but playing around 30 hours a week made it cost around $0,37 per hour of entertainment, still one of the best quality/price ratio entertainment you can find.

With so many games I have to use some kind of criteria in choosing which to play, and F2P ones are a no-go for me, saving $0,37 an hour (if you're paying for only one MMO then it's $0,12/hour) to end up potentially paying amounts ranging from $5 to $30 for a damn virtual item or consumables that improves your game experience, no point playing IMO.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 2:48PM Arann said

Looks like this Earth...

*Puts on shades*

...wasn't so Eternal after all.

Posted: Aug 10th 2010 1:39AM Misanthrope said

YEAAAAAAAAAH!

Posted: Aug 17th 2010 3:04AM (Unverified) said

The fact that some of the more popular MMOs of the past few years are moving to F2P models with microtransactions is evidence to the contrary. As for feeling like you're "paying for the freeloaders" if you feel that way, go play something with a sub, then it's not a factor.
So far the most successful F2P games have been the ones that only offer items for convenience, rather than necessity, as in mount boosts, bag space, cosmetic crap. Now that being said, i prefer the ones who give you "Enough" bag space to begin with.
I also think the best model is one where the website currency can be bought and sold for in-game currency, should people so desire. That allows the people with more money, and less time, to sell them, and those with more time and less RL money to buy them that way. Helping the game out by allowing both players to accomplish more within their time/ability to play.

Posted: Sep 15th 2010 5:30PM (Unverified) said

EARTH ETERNAL IS HUTTING DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS A SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE TO THE BUNKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Oct 11th 2010 10:26AM (Unverified) said

russ fuck you this game is awesome if you are happy about this game going down then you are a retarted ass who doesn't know good games when you see one

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:58PM (Unverified) said

Oh please God DO NOT let Atlus or Perfect World get it.

WoW Archivist: Epics