Posted: Aug 7th 2010 7:19PM Ferboten said

I play a marauder and it seems like all of the points you list are pretty much common sense, and yet it never ceases to amaze me when at the beginning of a scenario engagement, there's always a choppa that charges straight in ahead of everyone else and promptly explodes into a red mist when the entire other team unloads on him. Likewise when the fight is underway and I look around for the other melee dps only to find 3 of them bashing away ineffectively at some ironbreaker's shield (and all of them attacking from the front too) while the enemy squishies are melting our support.
There really needs to be some kind of 2 week course you need to pass before being given your pvp license in mmos.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 7:50PM yeppers said

I've been considering giving this game another go. It's been a year since I've played. Thanks for the articles.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 9:10PM Xii said

The first rule of WAR pugs seems to be 'ignore the healers, go for the tanks'.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 10:05PM Jade Effect said

One of the funniest moment I had in Warhammer Online was when I took my Black Orc tank to tier-1 Nordenwatch scenario. As the first to rush up to the hilltop flag, I immediately charged at some level 2 Bright Wizard hiding at the back.

The Bright Wizard panicked and, although he was in no danger (given my poor damage, the healing he's receiving and his hp being boosted to that of a L8), he started fleeing all the way back to the respawn area. I gave chase, laughing all the way as his entire team started running after both of us. My team then captured the defence-less flag and spent the rest of the short match fighting around the Order respawn point.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 10:32PM Wisdomandlore said

I've played a Minstrel in LOTRO's Monster Play and found similar problems. 95% of the raid is on the front lines, playing DPS heroes (even the non-DPS classes), screaming for heals. Meanwhile 3 Wargs have pounced me while no one protected me. If you want heals, protect your healer!

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 3:15AM (Unverified) said

Been awhile since i've played WAR, but this article points at a basic issue with close range DPS not scaling well in large PVP. It's common to nearly all games, even with EVE, though to a much lesser extent.

Groups of ranged DPS are just too good at destroying uncoordinated short range DPS players with focused fire before they can get into range and do their thing. Even if they do get in range, they often do so without healer support, as to do otherwise would expose the healers to a murderous crossfire. The firing lines that formed in WoW's Tarren Mill vs. Southshore brawls graphically illustrate this dilemma.

Unfortunately, simply reducing ranged DPS damage or their kiting tools often breaks their viability in smaller scale PVP vs. short ranged DPS. Balancing this requires that the developers have some benchmark scale for group PVP that they intend to design around.

WAR's original developers promised that no player had to "sit in the back and spam heals", but it doesn't look like that has happened yet.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 12:35PM oGGe said

I think the "sit in the back and spam heals" comment from Mythic was aimed at the Healer class in DAoC witch had nothing but an autoattack to deal damage with.

in WAR a Healer can do alot of damage and still heal loads, take a look at the WP or DoK as an example.

A DPS-specced AM or Shaman are pretty good range-dps classes as well.