Posted: Aug 7th 2010 12:22PM nathanb said

I was upgrading every year with the latest technology or whenever need forced me to (bad power supply, bad motherboard, new techology lust), but this year, I plan to use the current i7 boards for atleast two more years (6GB 3Ghz 3-way SLI EVGA boards) and only forsee video card upgrades early next year for DX11 support. Currently using Nvidia 280s and they are pretty sufficient for my current needs. For a while, I was upgrading too often back when AMD with 64-bit processor was king and the technology changed from AGP to SLI and DDR to DDR2. I made the switch to back to intel with the core 2 duo at the end. That was 3 boards in a single year.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 12:20PM benfolds said

I currently have a system that can handle anything i throw at it, put together about 1 yr ago:
AMD 2.5 Quad core
8 gigs DDR2
1 TB SATA Hard Drive
Raedon 5770 with 1 GIG GDDR5
Windows 7 home premium

With that being said, I usually upgrade by now, but haven't because I want to see where PCIE 3.0 goes and the price points. Also I would like to see DDR3 memory come down a little in price.

But I really think that the main thing that will completely change everyones computer across the board will be the adoption of Solid State Drives. Once they come down to a reasonable price and everyone switches over, SSD will increase everyone's speed.

Also, you can put together a rig on the AMD side of things for very little. Including a top of the line video card.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 1:02PM Hockster said

I'm upgrading or changing something every couple of months. I have no problem paying for state of the art, and I enjoy being at the leading edge.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 1:24PM redsolar said

I only resort to upgrading if I feel I necessarily need it for something in particular. I avoid if I can to save the money for an entire new system. I always cross my fingers that the days when needing a new computer come around, that PC technology totally changes - evolutionary-wise. Of course, that would change the entire computing industry. But hey, I'm cool with that. ;-)

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 1:32PM Ayonyx said

I upgrade every 3-6 months, sometimes longer depending on how close the next generation is to launching. Next upgrade is to roll two new 120hz monitors into my gaming cave.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 2:01PM (Unverified) said

I buy a new pc every 6 months with top of the line specs... I just can't stand having older hardware. To lower the cost of my lust for hardware, I do sell my pc everytime I buy a new one tho.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 2:18PM (Unverified) said

I use a mac... I know I'm gona get bombarded with "macs suck". But really, they don't for me.. I can play the mmos I want to play easily and much more smoothly than my old PC. Almost all of them run better than a windows computer hands down. The graphics in the macs support games much better than the windows.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 2:33PM Fakeassname said

I upgrade when my old tech gets outdated, and I really mean outdated: not "waaaaaa, I wanna see pretty" outdated, Two months ago I changed motherdoards for the first time since 2003,

chasing the latest and greatest is retarded, you don't buy a new car every year do you? if the old one works then there is no reason to replace it, same thing with computers.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 3:37PM Ozewa said

5 years or bust.
and always between february and may.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 3:53PM (Unverified) said

pretty consistantly every 4 years I spend about 400$ trying to reuse the old tower if possible, but sometimes just dosnt work out cost wise, since I dont buy top of the line anyway its occasionally cheaper to get nearly a whole system for the price, that performs great for me :D

First time was cause I wanted my first "decent" system, but the next two times were cause something semi-expensive actually broke / died and as such I had a need for a new system lol.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 4:06PM Monkey D Luffy said

I just started upgrading my PC, i didn't know much about computers when i started but now upgrading bit by bit i am learning a lot.

Final Fantasy XIV better be worth all this learning, lol.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 6:44PM Terical said

I assembled my pc back in late November 09. The only upgrades I did in a short time were a 1TB hard drive and a added a speaker system that I didn't include when I started my build and home plug av ethernet from wi-fi. I don't really plan on upgrading all of the time. Even if a new MMO comes out I will have to make due with what I have. I want to add in more ram up to 12gb but my 4gb used for gaming and the 2gb just to run Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit are handling nicely. My graphics card is a 512mb Nvidia GTS 250 so far no problems playing games that I want if there is I will just turn down the settings.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 8:28PM Tristik said

I've been going every 3 years or so at tax return time.

I get 'last' gen equipment (1 generation behind cutting edge), so it's usually pretty economical, and it can keep up for 2-3 years running games pretty well even if they aren't maxed out towards the end of the computers life.

I usually buy complete systems, and save the old one as a back-up. That way if something goes wrong, I can just plug the old one in, update some files, and keep going until i get the newer one fixed.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 8:33PM Sorithal said

I think I've gone 5 years or so with this computer...

Definitely getting a new one soon.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 8:49PM cray said

When I had a desktop, I upgraded my RAM & Video card every two years. I bought a new machine every 5-6 years.

Recently I switched to laptops, so obviously the only upgrade I can do is RAM & storage. Likely replace this laptop in 3-4 years.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 8:52PM Lateris said

Every 3 years I upgrade. I just upgraded to this for AoC.

Mobo Gigabyte: GA-890FXA-UD5
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: GSkill 8192MB RAM
Video: ATI 5850
PS: 630 watts

I always keep the same ATX case and there was no need to upgrade my drive. I always do the combo deals. I see a lot of comments about upgrading for The Old Republic. That game is not going to be intensive for a system at all. I also see over kill for WoW with SLI or Crossfire builds.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 12:33PM Lateris said

I hear ya. They have really good deals if one can wait. That is a really good deal on that Nvidia card. Did you unlock it?

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:41AM (Unverified) said

Every two to three years. Though if I stretch it out to three years I'm sure to have replaced the video card during that third year -- which will then move over to the next machine.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 4:09AM (Unverified) said

I've got three PCs. One is my main rig, which is an i7 based PC (4.2GHz 920 D0), with dual GTX260s that will be upgraded once I cannot get 40+ fps in a game that I really want to play maxed out. My secondary rig is a LAN comp, which is a 4.0GHz QX9650 with dual HD5770s. My final PC is one that I give to my cousin every time I upgrade, and he's currently using my old X6800 dual Core with a 4890. When I upgrade again, the i7 will become the lan rig, and the QX will become my cousin's rig, and the X6800 will become a media server, and so on in that fasion. In my opinion, as long as you buy an excellent CPU and have ample memory, you can make your rig last a very long time, with only GPU upgrades. 4+ years, if you overclock.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 7:36AM Graill440 said

My upgrading is based on what the current software tech is and if it is mainstream. As an example graphics or engine based products that become standards will of course force my hand and i will upgrade, however the cycle is roughly 3 years between any major changes to graphics or tech in the gaming industry and that cycle has served me fine.

Am i worried about the jones' next door buying or upgrading a rig every 6 months to a year? Nope.

What i do worry about is that ignorant little kid on the other end of a carl gustav with a better ping than me...........(shakes fist in air)