Posted: Aug 22nd 2010 5:15AM (Unverified) said

I started playing EQ in the beginning, and I switched to EQ2 when it came out. There are many things about EQ I remember fondly. Corpse Runs, running from Halas to Freeport...vast and dangerous environments, not being able to do anything without a solid group and when you found one you made new friends and played with each other as often as possible...

HOWEVER, when we wax poetic about the good old days, and the good old days rarely are as good as we remember, we forget about the bad things. About 10 minutes before you were going to log off you die, and you have to spend 3 hours on a corpse run you didn't plan and didn't want to do and get 3 hours of sleep before work or you lose everything you have earned so far. We forget about spending 5 hours online without being able to find a group, and we forget about 10 hours of play spent to get 2% XP or to get through step 2 of a 20 step quest.

That level of frustration drives most players away...fewer players means less profit, and in the end SoE makes games to make money. There may be "Hardcore" servers in EQ Next that caters to players that want the level of challenge to be truly daunting, but most people play games for escapism and feeling weak and vulnerable is something most people can experience in their day to day lives and want something else from their games.

I hope the "Hardcore" players realize all this and can be happy with a high risk, high challenge, high penalty server of their own.

I just want a deeper play experience, with an amazing world to experience, beautiful graphics, and compelling stories to engage me and tie me to the world. I want my Clerics and Paladins to be shining beacons of holy light, my Necromancers to be truly dark and menacing, wielding death and darkness like a wicked blade, my Shamans to be something other than a priest that uses some necromancer spells to be true channelers of Place, and Animal spirits, and to be a conduit for ancestral spirits. Savage holy people to the savage races that empower their warriors, and are no strangers to the battlefield themselves, my druids being true stewards of nature and that represent the savage, brutal power of primal energy. I want my Warriors to be exemplars of martial prowess, entering battling and wearing the blood of their enemies like a second skin and my Mages to rain Arcane fury down on their enemies, crackling with eldritch power and releasing maelstroms of mana infused destruction. I want the full deal, I want the flavor of the classes to drip from them like so much melted butter. I want to be able to shine as a true hero when I play any class and not have my class be anything like the others.

I am tired of not being able to tell the difference between one class from the other...I am tired of content on rails. I do not want to know that if the mob is red, no matter what happens I can't defeat them, no matter what strategy I use, anymore than I want to know that I could defeat all 10k grey mobs simply because the con says so...

I also want things to make sense, no more rogues teleporting me out of dungeons, because their "ability" says they sneak us all out in a matter of seconds...Paladins grouping with Necromancers? Rangers and Rogues being extra good at killing animals for XP? Clerics of good gods killing Paladin guards for XP with no penalty? Stop the madness!

I think each class should be effective in several different roles. Non tank DPSers should be able to act as a tank if they are willing to lose DPS in the process, same thing for priests, they should be able to heal, and if their healing isn't needed, no reason they can't sub for DPS at the cost of healing prowess...kind of a slider that lets different classes scale back things like healing for DPS, or DPS for defense...or vice versa. It allows players to make the best of whatever class combo's they find in their group.

Just thought I would throw out my wants in a rambling wish list since everyone else was. =P

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 9:30AM Miffy said

I'll only be interested if it is a seamless world, hate all the zoning and instancing of EQ2 and all the new games SOE seem to be making and new MMOs in general.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 10:08AM Duulin said

Umm... SOE was talking about Everquest Next a year ago, this didn't just break:

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 11:35AM Dandmcd said

Everyone knew they were working on it, but yesterday we saw the first real in-game screenshots and concept art of the game along with a discussion of what the game concept may include. That's the big news.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 10:54AM Seffrid said

Strange comment, Duulin.

Yes, the story broke a year ago that SOE were working on a new EQ title, with the working name of EverQuest Next, and it mentioned they had concept artists working on it.

This development of that story is about the current Fan Faire and the panel session held there about the new title, with the producer introduced along with the senior members of his team, and with illustrations of the concept art.

No-one is suggesting this story just broke. It did, however, just get taken forward a stage and that is what Massively are covering.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 12:09PM Duulin said

Ooops, I guess miss interpreted the first line of the article that states

"EverQuest Next, the surprise news out of this year's Fan Faire, has certainly gathered a lot of attention from the general MMOGsphere since word broke about the game last night."

Sounded like author was stating that "word broke about the game last night"

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 11:58AM greatscate said

As most are, I too am biased in my opinion on EQ as it was my first jump into the MMO world. That being said, I don't get this idea that a lot of people are saying that we need less classes like the original EQ. To my knowledge the game started with 14 classes and has since added Beastlords and Berserkers. What most of us want in classes (and hopefully what EQNext delivers) is class specialization... not just less of the status quo. There was nothing more enjoyable than having a specialized role in a group (ie - Monks pulling, bards mana regen / lull pulling, enchanters crowd control, etc. etc. etc.). Not only did specialization lead to many players being better at what they particularly did, but it also led to some of the best in-game relationships I have ever had... if you were good at something people wanted you back for later groups.

I'm REALLY excited for EQNext and I truly hope they get back to what EQ2 was supposed to be. If anything, I sort of look at this project like I did Vanguard before it lost funding and had to lower its' standards... A true rework of a classic gaming masterpiece. Hopefully SOE can deliver this time and also that we can get our hands on this sooner rather than later.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 1:37PM (Unverified) said

I'd try it, as long as leveling doesn't consist of "Farm these camps of mobs until you ding, then move onto other camps" and/or "Be VERY cautious of everything you pull, because one bad pull could undo hours or days of progress." In DAoC, that was my biggest gripe.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 1:50AM (Unverified) said

Really? That's part of what made those games fantastic. Hear me out, because I know that sounds crazy. I know it wasn't perfect back then, but there was a lot that was right. Modern mmo's tend to forget that.

Remember that first time that you got a great group in DF in DAoC? And how group dynamics brought you together and made you feel like you were really accomplishing something? You had to understand your class and develop a synergy with your team mates or things were going to get crazy and not in the good way. People socialized in those groups and you got to know your realm mates. You figured out the good players by their demeanor, their skill, their willingness to learn.... not by some arbitrary gearscore. By the time you hit max level, you felt like you had been raiding together for a long time because you had been!

Bring those specializations back and encourage people to want to group up for a long haul. Push the multiplayer back into MMO. Bring a real reason to socialize again.

Death should have penalty. It shouldn't have to be something that's going to make you throw a computer out the window, but it should make you mindful of the dangers. Bring that level of immersion back and a lot of the problems of modern games will go away.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 4:21PM (Unverified) said

It sounds like a good idea to me - I played EQ from launch .... Beta tested EQ-II and took a couple toons to 50 ... but rapidly ditched it for WoW's superior diversity and larger raid cap (at the time) and never went back.

I dropped WoW recently cause of the over-the-top "casualization" so this looks like a really appealing kind of hybrid between EQ and WoW.

Too bad it probably won't be out till late 2012-2013.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 5:06PM (Unverified) said

I really hope that EQ Next appeals to the 'core' gamer that McQuaid's team tried to do with Vanguard.

Please, please, please, no more WoW clones!

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 9:01PM (Unverified) said

Based on the artwork, it looks like it's geared toward older Free Realms players?

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 5:12PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
OMG!, another WoW copy, how surprising! ....not. Can´t blame them though, how else would they get all the 13-year olds to start playing. What´s next? Elders Scrolls World of Warcraft version.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 3:49AM Nhoj1983 said

I'm a bit tired of people claiming things are WoW copies. WoW just put what already was there together in a way that appealed outside the hardcore minority. The hardcore will only rarely be the target audience(here in the west... in Asia it's another story). While I'd love to see a return of some of the things that were so awesome back in the late 90s/early 2000s. I don't want a "copy" with better graphics of games of that time. They don't even have to truly revolutionize many systems. I just want well implemented systems. If I were to have a wish list it would be:

persistent world- I'm tired of zones... big immersion distraction.

strong art direction- For EQ this would be a much more traditional fantasy theme. They seem to have nailed it so far. Something that will still be appealing 5+ years later. Don't make me wince when I look at my character.

Mature storytelling- Give us adults a story that won't make us think of Saturday morning cartoons.

balanced classes- one of the worst things that can happen in an mmo is to level a character to cap and suddenly find you are utterly underpowered.

there are more but truly MMOs are MMOs. I think what we see now will slowly evolve but a system completely different than what we've been having? I don't think so. Not in a fantasy based mmo.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 1:38PM (Unverified) said

I think EQnext will be what SOE envisioned when they came out with eq2. EQ with better graphics and better in game animations. That would be an awesome game, imho. With what is being done now in gaming to help launch new ideas and better story telling SOE could really hit a home run here. EQ and EQ2 both have created a gaming community that is helpful and somewhat dependant on other players, by doing so EQ has created a very immersive gaming experience.
I hope this same idea continues levels 1-10 to 20 should be somewhat sheltered and possible protected by npc safety points, eventually there should be a point where you venture into more dangerous ground. The ability to be buffed or have a boon to help with survivability was a great way to adventure and realize how dangerous the world of Norrath would be. Please build the game so that adding additional classes is not an issue. The loss of a true enchanter and the beast lord in eq2 imho diminished the game.

Posted: Aug 9th 2010 7:57PM corpusc said

*** NO INSTANCES *** (yes, i know they plan on dungeons being instanced ;-( )

*** OPTIONAL QUESTING ***
make it so you can level up just as fast from freestyle grouping/combat, without all the disruption that coordinating quests with other people who are all on diff quest paths, and will drop you in a second as soon as they get their last quest hit.

those are the 2 things that kinda killed EQ2 for me. otherwise i would have thought it was an overall improvement over EQ1

Posted: Aug 15th 2010 3:54PM (Unverified) said

just hope that we be able to play all over the world together again like in eq there does not matter if you in the us or germany you can play on same servers witch is very good i hated that by wow and that a reason i did not play it anymore.
since my brother is us and i am in germany in eq atleast we can play together
hope that they do the same when they desided to bring it out

Posted: Sep 12th 2010 12:57PM (Unverified) said

Well playing eq1 & 2

Current examples how much faith i have in this company to do anything right

Eq2 is currently still on shader 1.0

This room looks right down there alley

as for taking the etec a sketch and shaking it and starting over ill decide when ill see it might be good time to wash my hands clean of this franchise after 10+ years

Sadly with no story attachment it better be rocking like dx 10 and sweet models or i have nothing bringing back to play another dumper

being i will have no story or attachment from previous games i might just not buy it at all unless it looks VERY SWEET i am mean DX10 sweet

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014