Posted: Aug 7th 2010 6:31PM drakino said

Hrm, a bit disappointed to hear they are segregating the PC and PS3 players to their own servers. Was looking forward to being able to play an MMO from my PC alongside my friends who only have consoles to game with. Now I have the hard choice of what platform and groups of friend I want to play with. May just pass this one up in the end.

Really wish these companies would learn not to separate their users like this, especially when the game is identical on the two platforms. Theres no technical reason for this barrier as they have even demoed the game at E3 and Comiccon on one server with both platforms.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 7:38PM CheesecakeBandit said

I highly doubt that it would be for pricing. The reason most games split for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 is that they have separate networks to rely on. In order for games to cross consoles, they have to integrate the networks or at least make access from PSN/Xbox Live to the internet take less than 50 milliseconds for both ways.

However, if DCUO is a subscription game, I can pretty much guarantee that I would not play it after the first month.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 7:44PM drakino said

By having them separated though, it makes it far more likely one side will have to be discontinued due to lack of interest. If they could play together, that would ensure one playerbase is always there populating the servers and keeping peoples interest up in playing a Massively Multiplayer Online game. As for separate networks, it's all Sony anyhow, the S in SOE stands for Sony. What do they care if someone plays on the PS3 or PC? It's all income to the same corporate entity, just potentially different divisions.

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 8:33PM (Unverified) said

Well, when you think about it...PS3 players and PC players are kind of different. Like I always play on PC and I never use a Mic unless I absolutely have to. This means I'd never communicate with a PS3 player in a PUG. PC players will also be more inclined to play with a mouse and keyboard...which is more effecient...donno. PC players also like mods and so forth. Then there are little utilities such as playing personal music. There are just little things here and there throughout the gameplay that's slightly different. Its better to be able to cater to your audience instead of forcing them down a path.

The second thing is...a console MMO's don't usually make it to market for reason X or Y. I think they want to make sure this gets to market and keeping it detached from the PC may assist.

They did say both games will run parallel with updates and features so later on down the road it could be possible to see a joint server. So this is not out.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:26PM starka1 said

Tom, Jens Andersen(Creative Director) had mentioned they were segregated due to concerns of balance, mouse/keyboard vs game controller and UI layout I'm assuming and business/corporate reasons which could mean a lot of things. I could definitely see some balance issues and I can only imagine how much more work it would take to balance every new power and game mechanic if you had to take into account two platforms.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:41PM drakino said

Stark1, ahh, must have missed when Jens said that. The've been all over the board with either direction, it's hard to tell. I've had hands on time with the game at ComicCon, and the controls/UI seemed the same on either platform at that time. The PCs even had PS3 controllers attached somehow, and it was demoed that you could just switch to whatever input method on either platform. When asked about it back then, they said the decision hadn't been made yet which way to go, but there was no technical or gameplay factors blocking it.

If there was business/corporate reasons, I find that a far less satisfying answer then gameplay. Why can't Sony do it when they have allowed a 3rd party to do it? Square Enix has released an MMO that works on PC, PS2 (and PS3 with backwards compatibility) and 360, with all users playing on the same servers.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 7:29PM starka1 said

Just so you can check it out yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MujLrAB6Uo&playnext=1&videos=YM0ejW5KSD0

Around 14:05 is when they are talking about why they are keeping the two separate. You may also want to check out the entire video. I've never seen this footage and I pretty much ignored the DCUO booth this year at Comic-Con, not sure why but just didn't give it much thought. I regret that now.

Did you get any cutscenes when completing a mission when you tried it out at the con? I thought that was so cool(see starting at 10:30). Also, the use of movement powers in combat is yet another feature I look forward too(see 6:00 in).

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 7:31PM mattwo said

Do any of these vids say when beta starts/had started?

Posted: Aug 7th 2010 8:28PM PVinny said

I wish but no :(

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 12:08AM Misanthrope said

According to an interview that took place on massively last week, the beta should be starting "this" week. As of this posting, it's 12 am on sunday morning on the east coast. So if the developers are counting Sunday as part of the "week", they have one day to get it up.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 1:25AM (Unverified) said

Yeah seems They may have been waiting for Fan Faire to finish before starting beta. Gives some time till Pax.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 1:34AM Pojoh said

I don't mind the server seperation, I'm still doubtful that a console mmo thing is actually going to work. Too many hands that want money and all that. Can't wait for the beta to start, and check out this game.

Posted: Aug 8th 2010 2:29PM starka1 said

fyi, you don't need Playstation Plus to play DCUO. You can decide what you want to pay for. There are no "second subscriptions" here. You want PS+ because you want the features it offers. You want DCUO because you want to play the game. Read and investigate the features of a service before you buy but don't cry later when you try interject your interpretations of what you think it should have offered.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM